What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can confirm another instance where the internet speed it pegged at around 4 mbits when the QOS is turned on. Works full speed with QOS turned off.

Did I reset the router incorrectly after coming from 376.49_4?

I just sent my RT-AC68U back for repair...
What is not clear to me is what went wrong when I did the factory reset after the update.
I know that this procedure erases the nvram, in my case something went wrong but it happened only with this FW release.
Is that a coincidence or maybe my nvram got faulty?
I want to know from other users here if they had "Turbo mode" enabled or not when they did the upgrade (was it by pressing the led-button or with command line), also if they had already updated the bootloader before like mine.
I want to know also if the "factory default reset" can (or must) be done before or after the update (by pressing reset or from the GUI).
I think it's important to know such informations to avoid future crashing updates like mine and so have a list of things to check before starting the update.
This FW updates also the bootloader so I guess we need to pay more attention.

I'll settle even of simple answers, I can't afford to crash the router for the second time, hope you understand me.

I'll settle even of simple answers, I can't afford to crash the router for the second time, hope you understand me.

I'd do the reset to factory defaults after flashing a new firmware version for sure. A reset to factory defaults before flashing is optional, though. Some people do the reset both before before and after flashing, I always do a reset after flashing only, and that has worked well for me.

If I'm having a stubborn problem that I can't explain though, I might do a reset both before and after flashing, but I've done this very rarely.

I'm not aware what "turbo mode" is, but flashing this release (for the Asus RT-AC68U/R only) should update the boot in the CFE during the flash.

Is this "turbo mode" that you mention "overclocking"? If I was overclocking my router (which I don't do), I would reset the router before flashing, which should turn off the overclocking. And then reset again after flashing.

NAT issues

Hi - I am on 378.5 - seems pretty good so far - one issue - my son gets a NAT error on his PS3 playing Destiny - where he can't hear one of the players he is playing with - the game reports a NAT error - never used to happen on our old airport extreme - I turned off NAT HW acceleration and it seemed to fix for a day (may have just been a coincidence) - but it is back again - any ideas ? I read there were some NAT issues with ASUS routers in general, but nit sure how true..

Thanks

Small issue

Hi, new to the site and I have loaded the 378.50 version last week on my RT-AC66U. All seems well except for the display of the setting in VPN / OpenVPN Clients / Server Address and Port. It works OK, but, the display doesn't refresh when modified. It stays at the original. For example: I added
us-east.privateinternetacess.com as the initial exit point for the VPN ; when it's changed to another exit ca.privateinternetacess.com or uk.privateinternetacess.com, it displays us-east.privateinternetacess.com on the router.
Now, it does actually use the proper exit, just the displaying of the original entry doesn't seem to refresh.

Any Ideas??

I'd do the reset to factory defaults after flashing a new firmware version for sure. A reset to factory defaults before flashing is optional, though. Some people do the reset both before before and after flashing, I always do a reset after flashing only, and that has worked well for me.

If I'm having a stubborn problem that I can't explain though, I might do a reset both before and after flashing, but I've done this very rarely.

I'm not aware what "turbo mode" is, but flashing this release (for the Asus RT-AC68U/R only) should update the boot in the CFE during the flash.

Is this "turbo mode" that you mention "overclocking"? If I was overclocking my router (which I don't do), I would reset the router before flashing, which should turn off the overclocking. And then reset again after flashing.

Thanks! so it's the right order resetting after the update, I never had issues during the time de router was overcloked but I guess is not safe have it on when flashing firmware, this is a good advice for future updates.
The turbo mode was set through command line, are this settings saved in nvram? then may be a clue of my failed reset and crash.
I had already updated the bootloader and maybe during this upgrade it was not detected correctly, can be another clue.
I just try to find out why I'm the only unlucky guy who had this bad inconvenient, so that I won't face again the same problem and exclude all possible causes of failing the update.
That's why I share my experience also to others.

Last edited:
It could also be your Antivirus. I did had the same, not sure if I was using Merlin's firmware or on stock asus.
And at that time i was using port 80 as web login for asus router.
I'm using AVAST and it used to scan your network + router.
Just change your port in your router.

Interesting enough is that I too am running Avast. That software is starting to get worse and worse. I may have to look for a new alternative.

After updating to F/W .50 on RT-N66U running in AP mode, the internal time is incorrect. What should the NTP server be set to (or should it be left blank to get correct time from the modem/router)??

After updating to F/W .50 on RT-N66U running in AP mode, the internal time is incorrect. What should the NTP server be set to (or should it be left blank to get correct time from the modem/router)??

By default it should get the time from the NTP server, however, you have to check the zone if it's the correct one. For the router to get the time, it needs internet service to be on. Since the router is set as an AP, there must be another hardware fronting the ISP so make sure that hardware is connected for the AP to get the time.

hi. i have connected 16GB usb2.0 disk in RT-AC56U. it is formatted as NTFS. i try to connect to USB2.0 or USB3.0 but still not work correctly. in ftp and samba are all files visible but on network map is space as 0b. and when i try install download master, no disk found. Look on pics.

now i have 50 firmware. on 49 firmware is same issue. Before i had 44 firmware and worked all ok.
Reducing USB 3.0 interference enable/disable -> no change for this problem

before and after install 50 firmware i am put router to Factory default

Attachments

• ftp.PNG
    ftp.PNG
    55.2 KB · Views: 877
  • DMasterInstall.PNG
    DMasterInstall.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 824
  • map.PNG
    map.PNG
    53.5 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
I think that's been suggested already, but do try a different web browser. Also make sure the username, password and wifi info you enter in the QIS does not contain any unusual character that might prevent the wizard from completing.

I went to my Windows PC (I was using my Mac), and used IE, and it worked. The difference this time was that I chose 'Manual' settings over clicking 'Next'.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Interesting enough is that I too am running Avast. That software is starting to get worse and worse. I may have to look for a new alternative.

Recently I've been trying out Panda's free antivirus on a VM at home. It's lightweight, and while Panda might not be very well known, they've been around for a long time, and generally do fairly well in test reports.

Successfully upgraded from 374.42 to 378.50. No issues so far. Thank you Merlin!

OpenVPN nat-start kill connection on disconnect

Hi all, I have a nat-start script in the jffs/scripts/ location with the following code:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o tun11 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i tun11 -o br0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o vlan1 -j DROP
iptables -I INPUT -i tun11 -j REJECT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o tun11 -j MASQUERADE

I have the file set as executable, jffs enabled, and OpenVPN set to start with WAN. I used to not be able to access the internet if the VPN was disconnected but now it goes through. Any ideas? much appreciated, thanks!

hi. i have connected 16GB usb2.0 disk in RT-AC56U. it is formatted as NTFS. i try to connect to USB2.0 or USB3.0 but still not work correctly. in ftp and samba are all files visible but on network map is space as 0b. and when i try install download master, no disk found. Look on pics.

now i have 50 firmware. on 49 firmware is same issue. Before i had 44 firmware and worked all ok.
Reducing USB 3.0 interference enable/disable -> no change for this problem

before and after install 50 firmware i am put router to Factory default

I have a similar issue: drive just won't mount. The USB driver changed to a different company and I suspect that they are not compatible with drives as large as ours. I rolled to the fork updates.

IMO, I do like AVAST Antivirus, been using it for years. You can disable the "Home Network Security" in AVAST Settings ---> Tools

Or you can change your router login port under Administration -----> System and choose Authentication Method to HTTPS and then change HTTPS Lan port (default 8443).
To just get ride of this message:
Originally Posted by toor
Feb 10 11:15:19 HTTP login: Detect abnormal logins at 75 times. The newest one was from 192.168.1.125.

System Log - Port Forwarding - Parental Controls

@RMerlin

I have been trying to search around but couldn't found anything about his.
When i enable Parental Controls - Time Scheduling and add two clients in the list. I notice that I had two more lines in my Port Forwarding table in System Log.
Destination Proto. Port range Redirect to Local port Chain
!192.168.1.0 TCP 80 192.168.1.1 18099 PCREDIRECT
!192.168.1.0 TCP 80 192.168.1.1 18099 PCREDIRECT
Is this normal when enabling Parental Controls?
Maybe one line is normal, but in may case I do have a duplicate lines.

But I did found only one line at this interface demo of AC3200
http://ec2-54-202-251-7.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:8080/Main_IPTStatus_Content.asp

lower speeds

i too have been expierencing lower speeds on the rt 68u verified it was the router by hooking up just my modem any suggestions