What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.54_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, I am on 68U but I have overclocked mine to 1400 and it has been stable. Tip: Most of the time your router CPu is not doing much unless your run VPN or download using torrent etc

Right, which is why I was concerned that it would heat up past 85 under stress when it's sitting at 85 idle.

Hello there!

Is any of this known? Does factory reset help? And How do I issue a factory reset, as after using Merlin Builds I never had to factory reset this device for some years now...

Keep up the good work!

Astralix
Well this may be why you are having issues. Several times since "some years" a reset has been required. Pretty much always from a major build, 374 to 376 and 376 to 378 etc. Some other builds in between it was recommended to reset as well. Definitely try that if you haven't after flashing several builds over the years.

Hey guys,

So like I said a couple days ago, I do plan on using the USB storage feature of my AC68 running this firmware, so last night I decided to test its USB transfer speed using a USB 3.0 flash drive and a 5 GB file via SMB. What I found is that while the function does technically work, its speed and performance is much, much worse than I anticipated. Here are the things I noticed.

1) There is only a slim to no speed advantage of the USB 3.0 port over the 2.0 port, which leads me to believe something is wrong.

2) The only time the router is faster than my laptop's USB 2.0 port is when writing the file with my laptop is connected directly to the router over gigabit Ethernet.

3) File transfer speed for both read and write is about 3 times slower over wireless than it is over gigabit. And even over gigabit, my file transfer speeds were only about 28 MB/s.

So I don't know guys, am I expecting too much from the router, or does it sound like something is actually wrong?

Thanks

wizardman, wireless has much more overhead than a wired LAN connection. What you are seeing is about the best you can get from the '68U.

And unless you're using a Velociraptor 300GB USB 3.0 drive also (along with the matching chipset on the external enclosure as Tim is using), your results will vary.

Not to mention your specific wireless environment.

Have you attempted to find the best channel to use in your environment? I recommend you start at the channel you're on, reboot the router, test, record, change the channel, reboot and repeat. Then use the one with the highest throughput which also offers the lowest latency in things like browsing, for example.

And unless you're using a Velociraptor 300GB USB 3.0 drive also (along with the matching chipset on the external enclosure as Tim is using), your results will vary.

Not to mention your specific wireless environment.

Have you attempted to find the best channel to use in your environment? I recommend you start at the channel you're on, reboot the router, test, record, change the channel, reboot and repeat. Then use the one with the highest throughput which also offers the lowest latency in things like browsing, for example.

Let's even forget wireless for a second. Let's just talk about storage throughput over one of the gigabit LAN ports. Just reading a large file. I tested the Flash drive again on my computer's USB 2.0 port. The average throughput was 34 MBytes/s. On my computer's USB 3.0 port, with the same Flash drive, the throughput was 73 MBytes/s. Reading the same file off the same Flash drive plugged into the '68P over wired gigabit, I get 31 MBytes/s. On BOTH the USB 2.0 port AND USB 3.0 port. Same speed. Both slower than a computer's USB 2.0 port.

This is normal?

Let's even forget wireless for a second. Let's just talk about storage throughput over one of the gigabit LAN ports. Just reading a large file. I tested the Flash drive again on my computer's USB 2.0 port. The average throughput was 34 MBytes/s. On my computer's USB 3.0 port, with the same Flash drive, the throughput was 73 MBytes/s. Reading the same file off the same Flash drive plugged into the '68P over wired gigabit, I get 31 MBytes/s. On BOTH the USB 2.0 port AND USB 3.0 port. Same speed. Both slower than a computer's USB 2.0 port.

This is normal?

Disable the option "Reducing USB 3.0 interference" under Wireless -> Professional.

This is normal?

To get fast USB 2 or USB 3 speeds, you need a competent (USB) chipset, a fast host system and a drive that can match or exceed both of those base requirements.

Comparing a directly connected USB drive on a vastly more powerful platform to a low power router over even wired GB LAN is not apples to apples. Wired LAN still has more overhead than a directly connected USB drive and even the USB protocol itself is limited when compared to a direct SATA connection. Again, the chipset and the drive configuration itself limits things even further. With all these together, I am not surprised that with certain router and drive combinations the theoretical speeds remain theoretical.

Try what RMerlin suggested. If it works to any degree, consider yourself lucky. If it doesn't, you might want to start experimenting with different USB drives to see what is a better match for now.

Wireless -> Professional, make sure you are on the 2.4 GHz band.

Ahh, yes, it shows up once I select the 2.4 GHz band.

WONDERFUL!!! That was it! Now I'm getting over 60 MBytes/s sustained throughput. Which still isn't the 73 I get when plugged directly into a computer, but it's CERTAINLY better than the 31 I was getting before. This I am okay with. Thank you so much!

Ahh, yes, it shows up once I select the 2.4 GHz band.

WONDERFUL!!! That was it! Now I'm getting over 60 MBytes/s sustained throughput. Which still isn't the 73 I get when plugged directly into a computer, but it's CERTAINLY better than the 31 I was getting before. This I am okay with. Thank you so much!

Glad it was just a setting that showed such a great improvement and not needing to try different USB drives.

Are the new AC68U now V2 with upgraded CPU running 1GHz or is there any difference to the soldout 68P ?
does somebody exactly know ?

@RMerlin:
Please change FW-Link to www.asus.com/support as your support.asus.com often dont work.

Having problems connecting to my VPN with either PPTP/L2TP client.. the logs show the below error with firmware 378.54_2 on a AC68U

Jun 22 22:52:29 pptp[1720]: LCP terminated by peer (MPPE required but peer negotiation failed)

Same problem here in AC87U...

Status
Not open for further replies.