What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Merlin, I could provide a wireshark log of what's happening when the issue appears if you are interested?!

Thanks, but that wouldn't really help. I do know that networkmap does various connection attempts to determine if a certain device is a printer, however I don't know if just one specific test there is responsible for the wake up. I tried simplifying the test by only connecting to the usual LPR port instead of also submitting a test job, but reports indicated that it wasn't enough.

Please consider leaving it in and just ignoring people who can't use search properly.

I've had that very question asked at least four times in the past week only. It's not just the forums, but it's also over Twitter and emails.

Those who asked (again) in this thread, don't take it personal. I'm not blaming any of you specifically, it's just that together, all of those constantly asking about it are getting annoying for me, so I'm removing the problem.

And quite frankly, I never could observe any measurable performance gain from allowing buffering to work as intended. Main reason why I had removed it was because the Kernel documentation itself recommended against using that control method to flush buffers, so from my point of view, I was removing something that was a bad hack from the start.

And hiding buffers from the reported free memory would be cheating, and might lead to more confusion from people expecting it to ONLY report really available memory.

"RMerlin said:
For me that was the last straw. Getting tired of constantly answering the same question, so I'm removing the memory buffer fix for the next release."

I agree with Merlin. There are too many stupid claims in these threads. Too few nerds. :)

Point taken. In the end it's hardly surprising, I've seen the same and worse on Android phone related forums, people with zero knowledge of the Linux kernel memory management kept asking why memory is full. There's no end to it ...

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

One more time about hostname in dhcp/static, becouse maybe i don't understand something...
hostname is a device name defined in computer settings (computer name is a hostname in windows).
I set computer name-hostname in windows "VANT-Komputer", i can ping this, then i set hostname in dhcp/static for this mac - "VANT-Laptop" and i can't pinh this host,. then hostname in router menu (in dhcp/static) is useless, and only one we need is description, becouse hostname we can set only in device settings, not in
router.
Other - in aiprotection/Parental Controls - when i add device description/hostname ?? is not related to device in dhcp/static and network map.

Am I right ?

Thanks

One more time about hostname in dhcp/static, becouse maybe i don't understand something...
hostname is a device name defined in computer settings (computer name is a hostname in windows).
I set computer name-hostname in windows "VANT-Komputer", i can ping this, then i set hostname in dhcp/static for this mac - "VANT-Laptop" and i can't pinh this host,. then hostname in router menu (in dhcp/static) is useless, and only one we need is description, becouse hostname we can set only in device settings, not in
router.

Pinging by hostname works fine for me. I can ping any device that has a hostname defined on the DHCP static page, using that hostname. I even access all my development routers by their hostname defined on that page, i.e. http://rtac68:8080/ from within my LAN.

Point taken. In the end it's hardly surprising, I've seen the same and worse on Android phone related forums, people with zero knowledge of the Linux kernel memory management kept asking why memory is full. There's no end to it ...

I might tie it to an nvram setting, so advanced users will be free to manually enable it. But I won't be exposing it to the webui, as then it would bring more questions.

Tying to an nvram control setting is easy, since the buffer flush is just a single line of code. Similar to how I've left SMB 2.0 support controllable through nvram.

Someone might want to start a wiki page someday with those undocumented settings...

RMerlin, ok, but hostname is a device name defined in device settings right ? If yes then hostname in router menu should overwrite device hostname defined in device settings right ?
but what ? since we defined this in device settings.

Folks having issues trying to update firmware with USB plugged in - back in 378.55 beta 1, Merlin mentioned that caches were not regularly flushed on ARM based routers. This is a good thing for disk and application performance.

It's not just tied to that. MIPS-based users are also experiencing issues, especially when they have an USB disk plugged in, as the filesystem would buffer any file accessed over SMB. That's why I now recommend rebooting with no USB disk plugged in, to ensure a maximum amount of free memory.

RMerlin, ok, but hostname is a device name defined in device settings right ? If yes then hostname in router menu should overwrite device hostname defined in device settings right ?

It will do that at the DNS level, yes. So as long you use the router's DNS for name resolution, you will be able to resolve based on the hostname entered on the DHCP static page.

Whether the client choses to also override it internally depends on the client's DHCP implementation. Some will use it in addition to any internally defined hostname, others won't.

I might tie it to an nvram setting, so advanced users will be free to manually enable it. But I won't be exposing it to the webui, as then it would bring more questions.

Tying to an nvram control setting is easy, since the buffer flush is just a single line of code. Similar to how I've left SMB 2.0 support controllable through nvram.

Someone might want to start a wiki page someday with those undocumented settings...
He he, indeed but I doubt many users remember about all these settings. Which is the intended effect [emoji3]

@RMerlin
I think it is an bug in the site survey on the AC87U. (378.56)
It stays at: "Searching for available networks, please wait... " been like this now for 5 min.
On my AC68U is working good.

For me it is working fine on my RT-AC87U,
upload_2015-10-29_19-21-15.png

ok,
every changes description in network map breake internet connection for a moment. Its normal ? After this i have to log in again to router.
And what with devices added in aiprotection/parental controls ? i set name in first field but this is not hostname and description becouse is not related to network map
When i set description in networkmap hostname is removed from /dhcp/static - its normal ?

Maybe there are some chances to add the ability to set description for inactive devices? like dhcp/static ?

For me that was the last straw. Getting tired of constantly answering the same question, so I'm removing the memory buffer fix for the next release.
Please reconsider. I know it is very aggravating to keep answering the same questions over & over but the regulars all appreciate your efforts I assure you.

Regardless, thank you. :D

It's not just tied to that. MIPS-based users are also experiencing issues, especially when they have an USB disk plugged in, as the filesystem would buffer any file accessed over SMB. That's why I now recommend rebooting with no USB disk plugged in, to ensure a maximum amount of free memory.

You are right, the more I think about it, the more I think telling folks to play around in /proc is a recipe for disaster...

Rebooting with USB removed is much safer!

I withdraw the recommendation.

You are right, the more I think about it, the more I think telling folks to play around in /proc is a recipe for disaster...

Rebooting with USB removed is much safer!

I withdraw the recommendation.
You got it. Some things are not meant for the end user, who should stick with the web interface. But to be honest, such users are better off with the official firmware.

For me that was the last straw. Getting tired of constantly answering the same question, so I'm removing the memory buffer fix for the next release.
Oh oh... That was just one person across beta 1, 2 and the final release who asked the question. Most folks who regularly read the forums already know the answer. If you gave some time, someone else would have answered it instead... Please take into consideration the performance hit that we will all get...

EDIT
I reached the final page and I see that Merlin gets asked about this issue across other streams of communication as well.

Btw, Why don't you put some of the FAQ's on the first post itself, so that people read it first instead of skimming through the entire topic for possibly answered questions.. Maybe some of us could compile such a list as long as we got a berth in the second post after yours...

Last edited:
I usually don't have any issues with Merlin firmware until this one. I flashed and reset the router. My printer wouldn't connect to the router via wireless and my wireless electronics kept dropping the connection. I couldn't get more information because I couldn't get into the webgui for the router. I had to flash back to the previous build

Oh oh... That was just one person across beta 1, 2 and the final release who asked the question. Most folks who regularly read the forums already know the answer. If you gave some time, someone else would have answered it instead... Please take into consideration the performance hit that we will all get...

EDIT
I reached the final page and I see that Merlin gets asked about this issue across other streams of communication as well.

Btw, Why don't you put some of the FAQ's on the first post itself, so that people read it first instead of skimming through the entire topic for possibly answered questions.. Maybe some of us could compile such a list as long as we got a berth in the second post after yours...
If I only had a dollar/euro/whatever for every time people ignored the relevant faq and just asked for the answer to be delivered to them on a plate. Many people don't even know how to use search engines like Google properly!

Doesn't help. Only a very small portion of users actually visit this thread, and even then I've had people ask a question that was already answered in the first post of the thread. Some people don't read, they just log into the forum, and post whatever question they have (and sometimes in completely random threads too). Those are beyond help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!