What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin is now available for all supported models except for the RT-N66U (Asus hasn't released updated source code for that model yet, making it impossible for me to compile it).

Summary of changes since 378.55:

• Merged with Asus GPL 378_9177, which includes numerous fixes and tweaks, and improvements to the networkmap. This includes the newer Quantenna driver for the RT-AC87U, which resolves connectivity issues on the 5 GHz band, however it still causes some battery drain on that band. The only workaround is to revert to 378.55 if this is a problem for you.
  • Support was added for the (unreleased yet) RT-AC88U. Thanks to Asus for providing a development sample.
  • Enhancements to syslog handling. The default log level can now be configured (it used to be hardcoded to Emergency). This is especially useful to users who log to a remote syslog server.
  • Editable entries for the DHCP static lease, virtual servers and prot triggers pages.
  • Various component updates: miniupnpd, openvpn, dropbear and minidlna were updated to their latest versions.
  • Various issues related to networkmap were resolved, especially handling of long hostnames.
  • You can now configure up to five separate OpenVPN clients, to match Asus's stock FW.
  • Numerous other fixes, please see the complete changelog for details

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

This thread will remain open only for about a week, while collecting the initial feedback for this release. I recommend you start a separate thread if you have any particular question or are in need of support. This is to avoid this thread turning into a 500 posts mammoth that nobody reads.

Coming from the latest stable (378.55), the 5GHz radio was turned off before the upgrade, after the ugrade it's turned on (device: RT-AC66U)

I have the router ac68u with 378.54_2 merlin, can make direct update to this release?

Enviado do meu iPad Mini retina usando Tapatalk

I have the router ac68u with 378.54_2 merlin, can make direct update to this release?

Should be fine as far as I remember.

Thank you very much. But i want fast update. and.. now 5ghz wifi drop

Q) If you put your ear to the router Is a high-frequency sound is normal? Especially severe when downloading files
please talk
<use google translator..>

I have the AC68U with 378.55 and it won't update.

Tried downloading a couple times in case of corrupt download, I also tried different browsers.

EpzU52V.png

Edit: Solved by performing a reboot first - thanks @MarioCaires

Last edited:
RMerlin, what are the default options for "Default message log level" and "Log only messages more urgent than"? I changed them on the first beta and would like to go to the default values now.

Did I miss something or all .56 firmwares
do not allow overclock or change TX power by nvram ?
mine router ac68u

Did I miss something or all .56 firmwares
do not allow overclock or change TX power by nvram ?
mine router ac68u

Not sure about over clock but NO you can no longer adjust TX power it's been this way for many of the newer builds. If you want to do that try John's fork.

Updated from .55 and restored to defaults after install. So far, so great... everything working as expected. Speeds increased by a little (prob just variance) and all connections nice and stable (so far). Thumbs up.

I use 378.55 on my RT-AC87U, do I need to reset the router to factory default before I update to 378.56 ?

Is the correct way to do it first to install the .56 version and then to do a reset on the router ?

I use 378.55 on my RT-AC87U, do I need to reset the router to factory default before I update to 378.56 ?

Is the correct way to do it first to install the .56 version and then to do a reset on the router ?

Always; Unplug any USB devices, reboot the router (wait 5 minutes or so) flash new firmware, reboot then perform a reset to factory defaults (with at least two reboots after you have used a new ssids and have secured the router and connected to your ISP.

Oh I got the same issue with my AC87... After a reboot I could update though!
It was mentioned in the 378.56beta2 thread - your router ram was full or did not had enough space for the upgrade, therefore the reboot helped by freeing the ram.

RT-AC68P: Auto logouts with 378.56 and unable to make changes via the GUI...

After resetting the router and power off/on, then flash 378.56, I can't even make it through the setup wizard as I keep getting logged out. Tried various browsers, clearing any previous cookies, no addons installed. This is worse than the betas in this regard. Reverted back to 378.55 and operations with the GUI is back to normal.

wan1.png

wan2.png

Aug 1 08:01:02 pppd[513]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Aug 1 08:01:13 rc_service: wanduck 422:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
Aug 1 08:01:13 dnsmasq[444]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Aug 1 08:01:13 pppd[513]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
Aug 1 08:01:13 pppd[513]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Aug 1 08:01:13 pppd[513]: Terminating on signal 15
Aug 1 08:01:13 pppd[513]: Exit.
Aug 1 08:01:13 kernel: Attempt to kill tasklet from interrupt
Aug 1 08:01:13 kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) entering forwarding state
Aug 1 08:01:13 kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode
Aug 1 08:01:13 kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
Aug 1 08:01:13 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Aug 1 08:01:15 wan: mac clone: [wan0_hwaddr] == [XX:XX:xX:xX:xX:xX]
Aug 1 08:01:15 pppd[2066]: Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
Aug 1 08:01:15 pppd[2066]: RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.11 compiled against pppd 2.4.7
Aug 1 08:01:15 pppd[2068]: pppd 2.4.7 started by shaobing, uid 0
Aug 1 08:01:16 rc_service: wanduck 422:notify_rc restart_wan_if 1
Aug 1 08:01:18 wan: [wan1_hwaddr] == [XX:XX:xX:xX:xX:xX]
Aug 1 08:01:35 rc_service: zcip 2078:notify_rc start_firewall
Aug 1 08:01:36 dnsmasq[444]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Aug 1 08:01:36 zcip client: configured 169.254.44.74
Aug 1 08:01:36 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules___)!
Aug 1 08:01:36 shaobing: sh /opt/S50asuslighttpd.1 firewall-start
Aug 1 08:01:37 shaobing: sh /opt/S50downloadmaster.1 firewall-start
Aug 1 08:01:38 rc_service: httpd 450:notify_rc restart_wan_if 1
Aug 1 08:01:40 wan: [wan1_hwaddr] == [XX:XX:xX:xX:xX:xX]
Aug 1 08:01:50 pppd[2068]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets

RMerlin, what are the default options for "Default message log level" and "Log only messages more urgent than"? I changed them on the first beta and would like to go to the default values now.

Set "log more urgent than = Debug" and "default loglevel = Notice".

I got unsuccessful too, first time ever. But it seems to have worked after a reboot. What's new?

http://hostname bug
use http://ip until asus or merlin fix it

RT-AC68P: Auto logouts with 378.56 and unable to make changes via the GUI...

After resetting the router and power off/on, then flash 378.56, I can't even make it through the setup wizard as I keep getting logged out. Tried various browsers, clearing any previous cookies, no addons installed. This is worse than the betas in this regard. Reverted back to 378.55 and operations with the GUI is back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!