What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Other than the cpu usage reporting issue, are there any known problems or precautions to upgrade an RT-N66U from 378.51 to 380.57?
Only the obvious ones: Remove USB devices and reboot before firmware update, plus a factory reset and manual re-config after the update (as you jump so far from past to actual version). :rolleyes:

Just curious if anyone has noticed reduced battery life on their Android device when their router is running 380.57. I downgraded back to 378.56_2 and it seems normal again. Sorry I don't have any measurements ... just an anecdotal observation. Isn't the wireless driver on 380.57 different?

* UPDATE *
Using an RT-N66U

Last edited:
Just curious if anyone has noticed reduced battery life on their Android device when their router is running 380.57. I downgraded back to 378.56_2 and it seems normal again. Sorry I don't have any measurements ... just an anecdotal observation. Isn't the wireless driver on 380.57 different?

* UPDATE *
Using an RT-N66U

Oh look amazing what the form search function does!

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac87u-5ghz-battery-drain-issue-on-android-devices.29932/

assuming the code base is the same for your model?

Using an RT-N66U
There was never an Android drain issue with the good old N66U, nor the drivers changed in recent times anymore... :eek:

* UPDATE *
Using an RT-N66U
On the N66U I've never seen battery drain. But on the AC87U I need to check, but surely will has, because is based on a version that has the issue.
The official beta 380.721 was the one that got the batt drain fixed on 5ghz band for AC87U

Replied through TapaTalk from SM-G920I

But on the AC87U I need to check, but surely will has, because is based on a version that has the issue.
The official beta 380.721 was the one that got the batt drain fixed on 5ghz band for AC87U
I run multiple Android devices on the AC87U with 380.57.xx build (by using only the 5 GHz band) without any noticeable drain so far! :D

The Andorid devices send the WLAN to sleep mode and re-connect when they are waked up - this ensures that there is no drain if the devices are not used. I run only recent versions of Android (6.0.1 and 5.1.1 with actual patch level of Jan. '16), which also might be helpful to avoid any wireless issues. :cool:

I run multiple Android devices on the AC87U with 380.57.xx build (by using only the 5 GHz band) without any noticeable drain so far! :D

The Andorid devices send the WLAN to sleep mode and re-connect when they are waked up - this ensures that there is no drain if the devices are not used. I run only recent versions of Android (6.0.1 and 5.1.1 with actual patch level of Jan. '16), which also might be helpful to avoid any wireless issues. :cool:
Well on Galaxy S6 (5.1.1 stock) with WiFi enabled all the time on 5Ghz drains about 26% on idle. While on official asus beta .380.721 only 2% on same conditions.

And I have seen the same with Nexus devices

does anybody else with RT-N66U got jffs in read-only after flashing this?
going back to 378.56_2 brought me back to normal jffs, although I had to re-enable jffs scripts.

jffs works fine on my N66U

Code:
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# uname -a
Linux RT-N66U 2.6.22.19 #1 Thu Dec 24 13:53:52 EST 2015 mips GNU/Linux

You must clear nvram and re-enter since this is a major upgrade from 378 to 380 base. I successfully used John's script to bring my compatible config forward.

There may have been an issue on first couple of boots - but as firmware changes size essential to reformat jffs in new version.

I have an RT-AC66U and just flashed 380.57. After login, I usually can't make it more than a couple of clicks before I get kicked back out. The login overlay shows up again, and upon logging in - again - it takes me back to the home page. There are certain pages that I simply cannot get to no matter what I do. The 2.4 Ghz basic wireless settings is one. Unfortunately, the firmware upgrade process is another, so I can't downgrade that way.

Does anyone have any suggestions (preferably that don't involve a factory reset, though I can do one if needed)? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I can't type.

I have an RT-AC66U and just flashed 380.57. After login, I usually can't make it more than a couple of clicks before I get kicked back out. The login overlay shows up again, and upon logging in - again - it takes me back to the home page. There are certain pages that I simply cannot get to no matter what I do. The 2.4 Ghz basic wireless settings is one. Unfortunately, the firmware upgrade process is another, so I can't downgrade that way.

Does anyone have any suggestions (preferably that don't involve a factory reset, though I can do one if needed)? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I can't type.

Do a full reset. You're just spinning your wheels otherwise.

Or just downgrade to 378.56_2 using the recovery method.

Well how about that. Didn't even give that a thought. So far, so good using the IP. I'll do the factory reset if I start running into problems again. Thanks!

I can't wait for new release of firmware although everything is working just great for me

Has anyone else experienced this ?

My RT-AC87U hangs whenever there is a burst of high activity on 5GHz, even just one computer running a speedtest (150/150). When the router hangs, I can't even access the GUI via cable connection. I have to reboot it to regain control.

I performed a factory reset after upgrading, and configured the settings manually afterwards.

Well on Galaxy S6 (5.1.1 stock) with WiFi enabled all the time on 5Ghz drains about 26% on idle. While on official asus beta .380.721 only 2% on same conditions.

And I have seen the same with Nexus devices

How do you monitor/check/control that a. idle = idle ( so also no syncing, app updating etc), b. the circumstances are identical, c. the other devices in a mobile phone ((gprs/3G/4G) are not the power eaters?

These questions are to validate whether or not there really is an issue.

Has anybody else noticed spontaneous reboots on the AC68u with 380.57? Mine has rebooted itself twice since I upgraded to this version around Christmas time. I've gone back to 378.56_2 to confirm its not hardware related.

sentinelvdx" said:
Does the ASUS Router Android App (AKA AiRouter) works with Merlin's custom firm?
Does the additional functionalities that the app provides also work ? Like for example Eco mode ?

hello, I tried this version, and I have problems with the fail back.
I have two WAN, ADSL and a USB stick, if I set the fail back I have problems.
When connectivity goes on usb stick, after a few seconds back on ADSL even if this does not work and then continues to go from side to side.
I also tried it with the original firmware asus and gives me the same problem. I have not tried with old firmware.
Any idea?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!