What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Works for me, with both an Intel 7265AC-equipped laptop and a Nexus 9, both are currently linking at 866 Mbps, being roughly 3 meters away from the router.

Try limiting Modulation Scheme to MCS9 instead of MCS11, disabling TurboQAM support. Some devices don't like it.
Thanks RMerlin and joegreat. This is something I tried, I also played with other settings such as wireless mode but nothing helped, all my devices such as the Dell XPS 13 or Nexus 9 only connected at 173 Mpbs on the 5 Ghz WiFi. Just wondering, do you also have an A2 HW version? Maybe Asus changed something and I need to wait until there is a new version based on the latest codebase...

Hello, just asking if theres any specific settings to get better wifi for Chromecast v2 on my Asus RT-AC68U ?

I did buy a new tv for the bedroom, a Panasonic TX-40CS520E and a Chromecast v2. Been having trouble with buffering on several tv play apps and also with Twitch. First i thought it was cause the wifi was poor as the bedroom is as far u can go in our house from the router.

Then i started to check speeds on router and i get enough speeds on the tablet, Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and on our phones Galaxy S4 and S4 Active (they usually have a rx rate from 30 Mbps up to 70), that is on the 2.4 ghz band. On the 5ghz band i get slow or even loose connections in that room on any unit really. But Chromecast is way much lower then others (Chromecast is usually at 5.5 and peaks at 13). Ive tried with a Chromecast V1 (and that one is also low), using both with wall charger and and powering from usb but dont see any difference, this was a recommended to try to see if usb didnt supply enough power. Been googling for answers and tried some changes on router, resetted Chromecast but nothing has worked. Atm im on Merlin 378.56_2 on but ive also tried the 380,57 and its the same on both.

Any suggestions ?

Just for info....I couldn't get my laptop AC adapter to connect at AC speeds running Linux Mint 17.2 (Ubuntu-trusty based). Turns out Ubuntu is shipping with a wireless regulatory db that is several years old. Once I updated to the latest db, like magic it all worked.

http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Regulatory/wireless-regdb/
I run Ubuntu 15.10 which has also an old version of it:
Code:
wireless-regdb                                       2014.11.18-1ubuntu1

What is the correct way to get it updated? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks RMerlin and joegreat. This is something I tried, I also played with other settings such as wireless mode but nothing helped, all my devices such as the Dell XPS 13 or Nexus 9 only connected at 173 Mpbs on the 5 Ghz WiFi. Just wondering, do you also have an A2 HW version? Maybe Asus changed something and I need to wait until there is a new version based on the latest codebase...

A1, but it doesn't matter, it's the same BCM4366. Retail product is revision A2, and there are no other complains so far.

A1, but it doesn't matter, it's the same BCM4366. Retail product is revision A2, and there are no other complains so far.
The exact same WiFi configuration settings work fine in stock firmware but not with your firmware with AC88U, dunno what's going on here... might give a try to your latest 380.58 test build to see what happens...

Edit: just installed 380.58, and my 5 Ghz WiFi works fine now :)

Last edited:
I run Ubuntu 15.10 which has also an old version of it:
Code:
wireless-regdb                                       2014.11.18-1ubuntu1

What is the correct way to get it updated? :rolleyes:
You are better off than I was.....my dist had a 2013 db. I wasn't able to find a pkg for updating or instructions on how to do it....so....

I just overwrote the regulatory.bin file (for me it was in /lib/crda) and added the new key file for the db maintainers, sforshee.key.pub.pem (to /lib/crda/pubkeys).

Doing the above definitely picked up the new db.

I have Version 380.57_0 on my RT-AC87U
Im trying to setup a pptp vpn to connect my pc at the parents to this network but cant get the server up.
i resorted to a walkthrough but got stuck on step 2. i dont have that option .... (2) Click “Yes” in option—“Enable VPN+DHCP Connection”
https://www.asus.com/support/faq/114892

i have everything else set right and in the pptp menu it shows this. meaning it hasn't started the server.
(5) Add a new PPTP VPN connection and the VPN server address is0.0.0.0

i used to have a vpn going on DD-WRT and worked fine so i know i can do it just everything else was buggy.
very happy with how stable merlin is.

also can i run a PPTP server and connect as an openvpn client at the same time?

In my AC68-U some 2.4 clients got no network access when IPTraffic is enabled. I tried to find other factors on which that trouble depends, but with no luck, the only thing is IPTraffic.

In my AC68-U some 2.4 clients got no network access when IPTraffic is enabled. I tried to find other factors on which that trouble depends, but with no luck, the only thing is IPTraffic.

Known issue, revert back to 378.56_2.

Hi Mike

I have the same problem, link lock at 173mbps on all devices, i will try 380.58 when i find the time.

I use stock asus firmware for now.

Hi Mike

I have the same problem, link lock at 173mbps on all devices, i will try 380.58 when i find the time.

I use stock asus firmware for now.
Sorry to hear you have the same problem. What I can say is that 380.58 (alpha 3) is rock solid so far on my device...

Hi guys, I don't know if it's been discussed already: I have a RT-AC88U with the 380.57 firmware and it seems the WAN access of the router webui is extremely slow (port 8080, http). No problem accessing other web server on the same router ( aMule, transmission, etc...)

Anyone experienced the same?

Edit: it seems related to IPv6; I disabled it, rebooted the router and now it seems all ok...strange

Last edited:
Some people reported having issues with the 2.4 GHz band with this new SDK - if that's your case, the only solution at this time is to revert back to 378.56_2.

Yep - clients can't connect. ;(

So if I go back... do I have to a hard reset again? ;(

Yep read the first post. ( A factory default reset is required specifically for the RT-AC68U, due to the switch to a new SDK + wireless driver. ) Although it says 68U i can assume it's the same for all AC68 versions.

If I'm having trouble should I try a factory default reset again?

Solution for all issue is wait for the final release. :)

Az én iPhone készülékemről küldve a Tapatalk segítségével

Yep - clients can't connect. ;(

So if I go back... do I have to a hard reset again? ;(

Probably not, but I can't be 100% sure.

I made the mistake, upon the glowing reports of stability, of installing it ina production environment.
Probably not, but I can't be 100% sure.

Thanks. And of course, because of the driver issue, it's outside of your control when there might be a fix. Now the hard decision of how to proceed... roll back, or wait...

I made the mistake, upon the glowing reports of stability, of installing it ina production environment.

Thanks. And of course, because of the driver issue, it's outside of your control when there might be a fix. Now the hard decision of how to proceed... roll back, or wait...

I was able to rollback to the previous driver in the current 380.58 development code, so at least I have a way out already.