What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Merry Christmas to everyone.

- Flashed my 68U HW ver. B1 to 380.57
- Pushed Reset button for 30 secs and released
Both 2.4 and 5.0 seem to work fine except when I do MAC and IP Address binding for a connecting client device, the router disconnect ALL connecting clients. Just wonder if it is an expecting router behavior.
Is not introduced with this firmware. I have noticed it also on previous firmwares.

Thanks Eric for all that you do! Merry Christmas!

Advanced Settings-->LAN--->NAT Acceleration, when I set it to off it breaks the wifi. . .
you solved it, thank you. I wondered why NAT Acceleration was set to Auto (on) by default and I switched it off.

It's back to Auto (on) now... but now I'm curious why in the world NA has anything to do with 2.4GHz radio/DHCP.

Under the settings Tools → Traffic Monitoring I set the the Traffic history location to custom (USB Flash Drive location). I am geting now the following logs, what am I doing wrong ?

Dec 25 19:10:32 rstats[1487]: Problem loading /mnt/sda1/Web History/tomato_rstats_382c4aaa4a58.gz. Still trying...
Dec 25 19:11:42 rc_service: httpd 439:notify_rc restart_rstats;restart_conntrack;restart_leds;restart_cstats
Dec 25 19:16:00 rstats[2373]: Problem loading /mnt/sda1/Web History/tomato_rstats_382c4aaa4a58.gz. Still trying...
Dec 25 19:20:16 rstats[2373]: Problem loading /mnt/sda1/Web History/tomato_rstats_382c4aaa4a58.gz. Still trying...
Dec 25 19:27:40 rc_service: httpd 439:notify_rc restart_media
Dec 25 19:27:42 iTunes: daemon is stopped
Dec 25 19:28:48 rstats[2373]: Problem loading /mnt/sda1/Web History/tomato_rstats_382c4aaa4a58.gz. Still trying...
Dec 25 19:31:56 rc_service: httpd 439:notify_rc restart_net_and_phy

92aDhub.png

I (paranoid) am assuming when I turn most of the advanced features off I am using less "closed" source code. Is that true? RMerlin states in previous posts that allot of stuff is now closed source.

So those experiencing problems with 2.4GHz should specify which channel they're on and whether the problem exists on all other channels.

I really don't know if that would be something worth pursuing or not. I guess if someone wanted to take the time to test very single channel on the list to see if by chance the internet starts working again on a broken 2.4 GHz band, it would be good to know.

But I brought this change up more to suggest the possibility that perhaps the changes made in this area somehow managed to screw up the 2.4 GHz internet connection on a large number of non-EU based 68Us and their variants.

That change was the ONLY 2.4 GHz related item listed in the same firmware update that consistently breaks the 2.4 GHz band on a significant number of previously fully functional routers. As I relayed in my experience, this latest FW version broke the 2.4 GHz band's internet connection

Flashing back to the previous version that does not include this minor change to the 2.4 GHz band for EU based routers returns the 2.4 GHz band to full working order on all routers that break under 380.57 and ASUS's own 1031 which is incorporated into this latest version of Merlin.

It just struck me as an interesting coincidence that we see the first 2.4 band change in this version's release notes, and at the exact same time, 2.4 bands start breaking after installing the same piece of firmware.

Last edited:
I had issues with updating my AC87U, after the manual reboot the wireless didn't come up and also couldn't access it via the LAN. The router would reboot itself after a couple minutes, and then again. I suspect there is something specific to my configuration that the new firmware doesn't like. The only thing that I think might be exotic is that I've got $ signs in my password. I ended up having to do a WPS reset back to factory defaults to be able to access the router again. Loaded back my nvram settings using John's tool and rebooted the router again and couldn't access the router. Ended up doing a factory reset again, reverting back to 378.56_2, and applying my nvram settings again and no issues. I had an issue with the alphas too, but figured it might be just the alpha giving me grief.

Will do some more trouble-shooting this coming week and report back.

Hope everyone has/had a Merry X-mas and a have a prosperous New Year.

I really don't know if that would be something worth pursuing or not. I guess if someone wanted to take the time to test very single channel on the list to see if by chance the internet starts working again on a broken 2.4 GHz band, it would be good to know.

But I brought this change up more to suggest the possibility that perhaps the changes made in this area somehow managed to screw up the 2.4 GHz internet connection on a large number of non-EU based 68Us and their variants.

That change was the ONLY 2.4 GHz related item listed in the same firmware update that consistently breaks the 2.4 GHz band on a significant number of previously fully functional routers. As I relayed in my experience, this latest FW version broke the 2.4 GHz band's internet connection

Flashing back to the previous version that does not include this minor change to the 2.4 GHz band for EU based routers returns the 2.4 GHz band to full working order on all routers that break under 380.57 and ASUS's own 1031 which is incorporated into this latest version of Merlin.

It just struck me as an interesting coincidence that we see the first 2.4 band change in this version's release notes, and at the exact same time, 2.4 bands start breaking after installing the same piece of firmware.
Maybe the new 68u driver does not work well with all 68u HW versions?

I flashed to my RT-AC3200 and everything seems to be working normally.

I flashed the new firmware to my AC56U remotely, but now I can't reach the router. The webpage told me after the flash completed that I should restart the router manually - which I obviously can not do right now - and ever since I haven't been able to reach the router. Is there a way I can fix this? This is really frustrating, because if I recall correctly all the previous builds restarted the router automatically after flashing...

You can't sneak into your parents room? Hit the breakers outside the house

Thanks Merlin for your hard work.

Flashed my AC3200 works perfectly on 380.57

Flashed my AC66 (repeater mode) but I had to revert it to 378.56_2 rebooted constantly every few minutes.

Back on 56_2 it works perfect (wifi link to ac3200)

Wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...

/Tinraz

Flashed my AC66 (repeater mode) but I had to revert it to 378.56_2 rebooted constantly every few minutes.

/Tinraz
Same here , 3200 is running well AC 66 (media bridge ) goes into constant reeboot Fw upgrade recovery mode

You can't sneak into your parents room? Hit the breakers outside the house
just refresh page and reboot through gui , works for me , I'nm never in the room the router ie , no problems yet , over 6 years doing it this way

Thanks Merlin for all your hard work, Merry Christmas (bit late here but oh well).
I have to report that the USB 3 port (on the back), does not work on my AC68U however, if I plug the USB 3 stick into the USB 2 port it works just fine.

Using a Sandisk Extreme 64GB and never had any issue's with it up to now, and I have had the drive since purchase.

Will there be any resolution to this?

Disable "USB 3.0 Inteference reduction".

Under the settings Tools → Traffic Monitoring I set the the Traffic history location to custom (USB Flash Drive location). I am geting now the following logs, what am I doing wrong ?

You have to create the data file.

Disable "USB 3.0 Inteference reduction".
I
Thanks Merlin for all your hard work, Merry Christmas (bit late here but oh well).
I have to report that the USB 3 port (on the back), does not work on my AC68U however, if I plug the USB 3 stick into the USB 2 port it works just fine.

Using a Sandisk Extreme 64GB and never had any issue's with it up to now, and I have had the drive since purchase.

Will there be any resolution to this?

I also experienced this problem, but found that a factory reset had corrected it. Now the USB 3 port is working properly with a USB 3 HDD.

/Tinraz
i flashed my AC66U and its working perfectly. If yours doesn't work do a factory reset then reload the firmware.

Maybe the new 68u driver does not work well with all 68u HW versions?

I agree, and it could be an even finer filter than just the model revision. It could involve specific "batches" of the same rev. version.

RMerlin kind of inferred this being related to potential issues with the new SDK or wi-fi drivers a while back since the problem seems to be random even within the same HW version. But for those who's brand new out of the box 68U or P is being effected, the bug is a true deal breaker with the only solution being an immediate flash back to the previous firmware version and with that, the previous SDK and wi-fi drivers included.

Fortunately for everyone with a 68U that breaks under this latest update, the previous release is very stable and runs my relatively large home network extremely well with no complaints! :D

But to anyone who would suggest that this problem is somehow being caused by pilot or settings errors... I would have to call BS on any such notion.

When you flash this latest firmware onto TWO brand new factory sealed 68U B1s and it breaks both of them in exactly the same way, there is no doubt that the cause is a major bug in either the new firmware, the new SDK, the new wi-fi drivers or a combination of all three.

I just hope that ASUS finds the cause sooner rather than later, patches the bug (s) and quickly issues a fully functional replacement. This will be especially appreciated by all those new 68U customers who got a new router for Christmas. Based on my personal 2 for 2 failure with this new update, there are some very confused and disappointed new ASUS customers out there tonight who can't get their 2.4 GHz devices to obtain a simple internet connection! ;)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!