What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am trying to update my AC66U from 56_2 to 57.

I am getting an error that the image upgrade was unsuccessful due to error in transmission or the wrong file. I downloaded it from two different locations and it didn't change the error. Any ideas?

Have you checked Asus official thread?? Asus did change in their close-source how the network map check clients and now they have a beta for this, check nr 3 (3. Update client list in real-time to react offline or sleeping device) under "Enhanced points"

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/be...hecking-bug-in-network-map.29269/#post-225954
Thank you for the info! Some interesting read there.

So I guess hoping that Asus will fix it or I might consider a different brand next. This seems like something Asus should have tested more before releasing to public. Having the NAS HDDs starting up 24 times per day for no reason adds up.

So please behave and play nice because I can understand if something goes wrong and not working that nobody will be happy but then again to be rude you wont get any help at all.

See screenshot from my RT-AC87U with firmware version 380.57_0 with 12-14 client in network for the moment,

The Lion's Share of the problems many are having with this release can be traced right back to the latest ASUS firmware version Merlin is always based on, and incorporates.

To an item, every single issue I encountered while running this first incarnation of the 380 series here with Merlin is the identical behavior I encountered several weeks back when I innocently installed ASUS 3.0.0.4.380.1031 and my 68U went all to hell!

I flashed back to 378.56_2 and everything is back to normal and working like a brand new out of the box 68U should.

What ever changes the ASUS engineers made to the SDK and wi-fi drivers in their first 380 public release caused nothing short of a Train Wreck for anyone effected and because of the close relationship Merlin firmware shares with the stock versions, it too has been turned into a similar mess for me and many, many others.

Last edited:
The Lion's Share of the problems many are having with this release can be traced right back to the latest ASUS firmware version Merlin is always based on, and incorporates.

To an item, every single issue I encountered while running this first incarnation of the 380 series here with Merlin is the identical behavior I encountered several weeks back when I innocently installed ASUS 3.0.0.4.380.1031 and my 68U went all to hell!

I flashed back to 378.56_2 and everything is back to normal and working like a brand new out of the box 68U should.

What ever changes the ASUS engineers made to the SDK and wi-fi drivers in their first 380 public release caused nothing short of a Train Wreck for anyone effected and because of the close relationship Merlin firmware has with the stock versions, it too has been turned into a similar mess for me and many, many others.

Yes 378.57_0 wifi (5g) is unusable slow on 68U... back to 56_2

I flashed 380.57 on an RT-AC68P (H/W Ver B1 on the box) and did a hard reset and the router is working fine. I did some wireless testing and anecdotally it appears that the 5GHz radio is providing better speed than it did before at a long distance and 2.4GHz appears to not be performing as well as it did before. All testing was done from my toughest signal location.

I am trying to update my AC66U from 56_2 to 57.

I am getting an error that the image upgrade was unsuccessful due to error in transmission or the wrong file. I downloaded it from two different locations and it didn't change the error. Any ideas?

Have you done a factory reset and reboot the router and checked it after how it works? That have helped for some ppl in here.

Yes 378.57_0 wifi (5g) is unusable slow on 68U... back to 56_2
Wireless driver changed to support the latest version of the AC68U router: You need to do a factory reset to change the hidden NVRAM settings to the new version of the driver! :rolleyes:

Based on my own experiences as well as reading some others in this thread, it looks like something really got wonky with the 2.4ghz band with this release. I was previously on the 380 alpha with no issues. Today I did a factory reset, upgraded to 380-final, did another factory reset, and then I could no longer connect my wireless printer to my network. Surprisingly, it took me a while to come to the conclusion that it was the firmware. I reverted to the previous Merlin release, and now all is well again. Not sure if this was a Merlin tweak or something in the main Asus branch that caused this issue.

Wireless driver changed to support the latest version of the AC68U router: You need to do a factory reset to change the hidden NVRAM settings to the new version of the driver! :rolleyes:

Not to be confused with the far more pervasive failure of the 2.4 GHz band to communicate with or through the router's WAN port. Resulting in the total loss of internet access for all 2.4 G connected devices on your network!

Only solution is a re-flash back to 378.56_2, which instantly restores normal performance to the 2.4 radio. I truly hope that whomever is ultimately responsible for the introduction of this bug is removed from their current position at ASUS, along with all those who failed to catch the problem during their internal testing phase.

By the time this flawed release made it out to RMerlin, it was too late and he had no choice but to integrate the broken SDK and crippled wi-fi drivers into what is now called 380.57. :(

Surprisingly, it took me a while to come to the conclusion that it was the firmware. I reverted to the previous Merlin release, and now all is well again. Not sure if this was a Merlin tweak or something in the main Asus branch that caused this issue.

WOW! See what happens when you are away from these forums for more than a few days? lol! :D

I've been sounding the alarm bell over this 2.4 bug since a few days after ASUS first released it into the wild via their latest firmware update back on December 11th.

This one is squarely in ASUS's court, as the trail of debris leads right up to their lab door so to speak! ;) No sign of any such problem with the 2.4 section until the release of 3.0.0.4.380.1031.

They spawned this thing, and it looks like it is going to be up to them to cram it back into the abyss they dredged it up from in the first place!

RMerlin had only two choices since he always integrates the latest changes from ASUS's own firmware into any new offering of Merlin. For whatever reason, he chose to proceed forward and perform the integration, which meant the integration of both the flawed SDK and the broken WI-FI drivers. Whether it is one or the other or both in combination that cause this 2.4 problem no one appears to know, but the second these were added to the Alpha 4 build you mentioned, my 68U lost all internet on the 2.4 G band, just like it always had with the ASUS 380 release AKA 3.0.0.4.380.1031

Last edited:
I couldn't get wifi working correctly on my AC68U either. Seemed to work on 5GHz after rebooting twice, but never got data connection to work at 2.4GHz. Went back to 56_2, too.

Can someone help newbie here and Wifi Mac address all messed up. No idea how to use nvram and what it does etc. I dont wnat to restore to factory and start from scratch
Any help really appreciated. I delete Mac address and they are not deleted . I reverted back to 378.56_2 but no change now ?

I couldn't get wifi working correctly on my AC68U either. Seemed to work on 5GHz after rebooting twice, but never got data connection to work at 2.4GHz. Went back to 56_2, too.

Exactly the same case for me throughout all my various flashes and re-flashes.

For whatever reason it would seem that the 5 GHz band has never wavered in performance or up time. I use the 5G side exclusively to connect all my personal wireless devices which includes my iPad Mini 4 and the 2015 vintage Macbook Pro 15" that I am typing this message on.

In fact, if it were just me here using this home network, I might have even just shut down the 2.4 GHz band so I could run 380.57, but the household has far too much tech that relies on the 2.4 GHz wi-fi as their only 802.11 N option. I forgot how much the house relies on the 2.4 band until this bug took all of them out at the same time! ;)

Yep... You can't just turn off your entire house and wait for someone out there in ASUS land to fix what they broke! ;)

Can someone help newbie here and Wifi Mac address all messed up. No idea how to use nvram and what it does etc. I dont wnat to restore to factory and start from scratch
Any help really appreciated. I delete Mac address and they are not deleted . I reverted back to 378.56_2 but no change now ?

The minute you restore to factory defaults, you wipe everything off your NVRAM, and unless you saved all your settings beforehand, starting from scratch is your only option. But it is usually advised that even if you have saved your router settings, to truly make a clean break from everything that was going on before the reset, you should never restore your router using a saved backup file.

Now, as far as your MAC address (s) being all messed up... What does that mean?

I'm afraid you are going to have to be more detailed/specific in describing your issue before anyone can offer you any advice. And I would suggest starting a new thread about this rather than seeking out specific tech support info while inside this thread, which is supposed to be focused on the 380.57 release itself.

I'm sure someone can help you out once the issue is clear in everyone's mind. :)

Thanks Merlin for all your hard work, Merry Christmas (bit late here but oh well).
I have to report that the USB 3 port (on the back), does not work on my AC68U however, if I plug the USB 3 stick into the USB 2 port it works just fine.

Using a Sandisk Extreme 64GB and never had any issue's with it up to now, and I have had the drive since purchase.

Will there be any resolution to this?

Since I can't find any resolution to this issue, I have unfortunately had to go back to 378.56_2, until this particular issue has been resolved. I have tried everything to try to get the Sandisk Extreme 3.0 to work in the 3.0 port, with no luck. :confused:

I need the speed of the Sandisk Extreme 3.0 :rolleyes:, the Transend is simply not fast enough for what I am using it for. :(

Again, Merlin thanks so much for all your hard work :cool:, and I hope you have a fantastic New Year! Celebrate with family and have a great time. Oh and don't drink and drive (that is a blanket statement BTW). ;)

POSS

Hi Merlin, guys. I am still having problem with what i can only call latency on 380 release and had same problem with 378 release code.
What happens is that when i request new page by clicking on link it takes 5-10 seconds, yes seconds for page to come up in chrome.
With 374 release i have no such issue. I'm on rt-66u router. I have all extensions disabled in chrome. When i do wifi speed test i pull really good speeds 70Mbps on N card so speed is NOT the issue but rather latency of browsing. Not sure what is causing that but i really wanna move onto new code but with 5-10 seconds delay it's simply not doable. I have already disabled hardware acceleration in chrome as it was even slower. It almost seems like there is some major issue with new code. I don't know but this is major for me.

Any thoughts on this Merlin, John, guys?

Are you using IPV6? I noticed delays/issues when using IPV6 in the releases > 374

I see it but not turning it on since it requires a MU-MIMO device to leverage it. So far I don't have any.
Maybe I did not get the technology right, but thought that this would/should be beneficiary when using multiple devices connected to the 5 GHz band - meaning the all connected devices dont need to wait for their data stream to wait - but its distributed in paralell - sorry for my simplistic description. I just tried to switch the button and hooked up all my HW: ipad retina, ipad air 2, iphone 5s, sony z1 compact - all on 5GHz band and running speedtest - when I get home I will recreate the scenario when MU-MIMO turned off - or this should have no effect. By the way the 2,4 band was working fine on both ipads - so I did not experience the issues described by others - maybe luck or due to short time of testing and running the new FW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if you dont want to restore to default then stay on older firmware, theres not much help we can give, period.

you can try to save a config file , howto from here http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r22.19521/
but since you're a newb i doubt you'd have the patience/temperament to learn howto.
even knowing how to use this is no guarantee it working correctly after a restore and you would still need to test fw in default mode for any issues b4 restoring for caparisoning default vs restored

Last edited:
Why web server constantly so loaded?
Скриншот 2015-12-31 12.43.21.png
Скриншот 2015-12-31 12.43.55.png

Maybe I did not get the technology right, but thought that this would/should be beneficiary when using multiple devices connected to the 5 GHz band - meaning the all connected devices dont need to wait for their data stream to wait - but its distributed in paralell - sorry for my simplistic description. I just tried to switch the button and hooked up all my HW: ipad retina, ipad air 2, iphone 5s, sony z1 compact - all on 5GHz band and running speedtest - when I get home I will recreate the scenario when MU-MIMO turned off - or this should have no effect. By the way the 2,4 band was working fine on both ipads - so I did not experience the issues described by others - maybe luck or due to short time of testing and running the new FW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right from Qualcom's site:

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapd...processor-powered-device-could-be-three-times

Of course, to get the maximum benefit of this revolutionary new feature, you must have MU-MIMO on both the network and the device

Until the certifcations and standards are approved many of the supposed suported chipsets have MU-MIMO disabled. Even apple is only supporting 2x2 streams vs MU-MIMO right now.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!