What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.58 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anyone noticing downshifting of the LAN ports on the RT-AC88U? every few days mine down shifts to 100 Full Duplex from 1000 Full Duplex and I have to reset it
Running RT-AC88U_380.58_0 Merlin Firmware

Check your cables. Ethernet will downgrade the link rate if it detect a problem with the cabling..

Sorry, I misunderstood.
No, I rebuilt my router from scratch last night and all I did was install Entware and Transmission.
Cannot get it to SSH at all under 5Ghz.

Not the biggest deal in the world...was hoping there was a simple fix.
Thanks anyway for the response.
Did you try before installing anything?

Hi,

I am not sure if any other user is facing this on 380.58/ N66U:

I am unable to save certain settings after the upgrade. Things were working very fine on 376.49 so had not upgraded for loooong. After upgrade, I realized that things like per-IP monitoring etc were not recording anything. Had forgotten the old rstats/cstats location so created a new path on the on-board memory card (8GB, 1.3GB used). However, the settings under Tools -> Other Settings -> per-IP monitoring (yes/no) keeps getting reverted to blank (both yes/no un-selected) in spite of selecting and pressing apply. It stores the new path correctly and if I go and check the path on SSH, it has new files for rstats/cstats which gets written for a few minutes.

Similarly, I keep losing the settings of DDNS and have to repeatedly enter it. I am using No-IP but it keeps reverting to Asusddns on "apply". Repeated setting of details alternating between Yes and No for DDNS seems to save settings, but it hasn't stuck for over a day.

I have not done any changes since the upgrade.

The only 'issue' I can think of is that /dev/root appears to have 100% usage now. I am not sure if that was the case before upgrade. Pasting df and du results below. I don't know enough to delete any of the files on /dev/root. Also I can't figure out how /usr is bigger than /dev/root.

I have tried reflashing the ROM and manual reboots (power off and on), to no avail.

Can someone help?

Thanks a ton.
Rahul

=====================================================

bash-4.3# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 20.5M 20.5M 0 100% /
tmpfs 117.0M 780.0K 116.3M 1% /tmp
devfs 117.0M 0 117.0M 0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock4 9.5M 624.0K 8.9M 6% /jffs
/dev/sda1 59.6G 53.8G 5.8G 90% /tmp/mnt/SLOW64
/dev/sdb1 7.3G 1.3G 5.7G 18% /tmp/mnt/SD_512
/dev/sda1 59.6G 53.8G 5.8G 90% /tmp/mnt/SD_512/entware/debian/tmp/mnt/SLOW64

bash-4.3# du -hs * | sort -nr | head
42.6M usr
10.9M lib
8.9M www
4.2M rom
2.6M bin
1.5M sbin
0 var
0 tmp
0 sysroot
0 sys

bash-4.3# du -hs usr/* | sort -nr | head
21.4M usr/lib
14.3M usr/sbin
4.3M usr/bin
2.6M usr/lighttpd
1.0K usr/local
0 usr/tmp
0 usr/share

bash-4.3# du -hs usr/lib/* | sort -nr | head
1013.5K usr/lib/libiconv.so.2.5.1
682.5K usr/lib/libnetsnmp.so.30.0.2
660.0K usr/lib/libsqlite3.so.0
510.0K usr/lib/iptables
455.0K usr/lib/libnetsnmpmibs.so.30.0.2
442.5K usr/lib/libavformat.so.52
395.0K usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0
387.0K usr/lib/libzebra.so.0.0.0
362.5K usr/lib/libnetsnmpagent.so.30.0.2
344.0K usr/lib/libcurl.so.4.2.0

Last edited:
trying to look at ps4 traffic to resolve fifa issues in game.
How do i set wireshark up for this?

Ive changed firmware back to 380.58 from 59 thinking the new changes affected it more but it was the same.
Need to do more digging (for a load of other people too) to then take the info to the isp.

Things were working very fine on 376.49 so had not upgraded for loooong.

When doing such a major version jump, you need to do a factory default reset after upgrading, and manually reconfigure your settings.

After upgrading from 380.57 to 380.58 I'm experiencing something very unusual with two different routers (RT-AC87U, RT-AC3200).

Every 24-48 hours, the router (either one) becomes 100% unresponsive and my network goes down.

I cannot ssh into the router, receive a dhcp address (wireless or ethernet cable)... nothing works... LEDs seem to be blinking normally
since none of them did turn red or something... but the router is 100% unresponsive.

Thus, I tried to store the syslog file in the jffs folder in order to see what could be triggering the crashes... but nothing... there are no
error messages in there.

I've also restored the routers to factory defaults several times but that did not help either.

Any suggestion?

EDIT

Before the router crashes I see huge spikes of data (1 GB per second) on the traffic monitor panel, which are not possible for my
internet connection is a 100 Mbit/sec (~12 MB/sec).

EDIT #2

I've contacted ASUS and the issue was solved in firmware (beta) version 9.0.0.4.380.2695

This bug is pretty nasty for the router, under heavy load conditions, first goes crazy and then freezes completely (all router models
should be affected).

EDIT #3 (final)

I've been running the asus beta firmware for 24 hours already and I have downloaded nearly 0.9 TB @ ~12 MB/sec without any issue.

EDIT #4 (...not really)

The latest beta from Merlin 380.59_beta1-g3b6a743 still shows instabilities (network monitor spikes of 1 and 2 GB/sec + router crashes).

Last edited:
When doing such a major version jump, you need to do a factory default reset after upgrading, and manually reconfigure your settings.
Thanks for the tip: Will I lose the debian install, MiniDLNA and Transmission setup?
And also, should I revert back to old firmware and then do a step by step upgrade? Will that help preserve things?

I've found that the IPv6 settings are not saved when you use DualWAN.
In fact IPv6 seems to stay enabled on a wrong interface (Ethernet) when it should be on PPP (my first WAN is PPTP/PPP).
And it should be Ethernet on the second WAN.

Is there any fix for this in the future?

My version is RT-AC68U_380.58_0
I've also tried RT-AC68U_380.59_alpha1-g26b553b but there seems to be broken dual WAN as it disconnects from my primary WAN almost immediately after I turn on dual wan.

Also dual wan ipv6 problem persists in all previous releases (I tried 380.57, 378.55).

Thanks for the tip: Will I lose the debian install, MiniDLNA and Transmission setup?

No idea how you installed these, so I don't know. Backup your config files if necessary.

And also, should I revert back to old firmware and then do a step by step upgrade? Will that help preserve things?

No. A few of the firmware updates between these two required a factory default reset due to SDK changes. Doing them one at a time won't change anything, you will still have to jump across different SDK versions.

I've found that the IPv6 settings are not saved when you use DualWAN.
In fact IPv6 seems to stay enabled on a wrong interface (Ethernet) when it should be on PPP (my first WAN is PPTP/PPP).
And it should be Ethernet on the second WAN.

Is there any fix for this in the future?

I know Asus did some changes to IPv6 and DualWAN support in 380_2695, however no idea to the extent of those changes, as I don't use IPv6.

Should I write to Asus Merlin team then?

Err... Asuswrt-Merlin's team consists of one single person - me.

What I'm saying is that Asus has made some changes in newer firmwares, you will have to wait for that code to be implemented in an Asuswrt-Merlin release in the future.

I noticed a bug with 380.58 (and the RT-AC68P). Time Machine on my wife's macbook stopped working. It has stopped before and I've had to enable ssh on the router, ssh in, an delete all the files on the HFS+ partition on the external drive. That has always fixed it. Under 380.58, no files showed up under /mnt/[HFS partition]. The files under /mnt/[ext4 partition] displayed. Oddly, the folders on the HFS+ partition did show up when I browsed using Samba and the Time Machine gui on the webui did show the correct partition size and free size when choosing the partition. I upgraded to 9.0.0.4.380.2695 and I was able to see the mount and delete the files and Time Machine started working again. Does the Merlin branch use a different HFS driver? I didn't have this problem under 380.57 or 3.0.0.4.380.1842. I didn't try 380.59a1 because I'm waiting for a2.

BTW, it will be a pain for me to experiment, so I'm hoping that somebody might already know the answer to this. Does the partition actually have to be HFS+? The crappy documentation on the Asus site implies that it does, but I noticed that other vendors that support Time Machine (e.g. Synology) just use ext4 under the hood.

BTW, it will be a pain for me to experiment, so I'm hoping that somebody might already know the answer to this. Does the partition actually have to be HFS+? The crappy documentation on the Asus site implies that it does, but I noticed that other vendors that support Time Machine (e.g. Synology) just use ext4 under the hood.

No, the local file system makes no difference, as the file system is not natively exposed over the network by any standard networking protocols. This is exactly why time machine over network works by using a sparse bundle so that it can still natively 'work' on a hfs+ file system as needed for the hard links it works by.

Upgraded from 380.57 to 380.58 and it went more smoothly. Had issues with 380.57 seeing the modem after a reboot (it required a modem reboot) and did not have the issue with this version. Really like the disable hourly network scan feature, I was getting tired of the NAS and printer being on and not knowing why. Thanks Merlin.
Question to anyone: What's the benefit to having the hourly scan enabled? Anything more than a basic network device refresh?

Is anyone else having issues with IPTV, specifically Bt Youview not working in 380.58? I have used the same settings from previous firmware (380.57) which worked fine.

Is anyone else having issues with IPTV, specifically Bt Youview not working in 380.58? I have used the same settings from previous firmware (380.57) which worked fine.

IPTV is known to be having issues in 380.58.

IPTV is known to be having issues in 380.58.
Thanks for clearing that up, guessing it's an Asus issue?
Am I better to roll back to previous firmware or do you know if any fix coming soon for ac68u. 99% of my channels are IPTV so it's a bit of a pain not having it.

Thanks for clearing that up, guessing it's an Asus issue?
Am I better to roll back to previous firmware or do you know if any fix coming soon for ac68u. 99% of my channels are IPTV so it's a bit of a pain not having it.

The issue was already fixed upstream.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!