What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.58 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have a problem with my AC88 with 380.58 firmware: So far my router has hang twice in 49h, and when this occurs it is so bad that I have NO access and NO internet. Well I have nothing (so if this happens, no one can do nothing - well I guess if everything is to go wrong that is a good thing). The only way to solve this is a power cycle. And then it is just like before. After the first hang, I decided to reboot the router every night thru the firmware. That did not help, since I got another hangup about 49h later (it is actually very exact 49 hours - very strange).

So what have I been playing with? Well only my VPN server 1, so now I have closed that one (turned it off). I have been investigating Port Knocking for my VPN, but so far I have only collected information (no commands what so ever). So I am interesting in if closing my VPN server will "solve" this.

Why VPN concern then? Well My general thought is to route all my mobile traffic over my VPN connection when I am not home. I have this working, with a Androind Tasker task that turns on VPN client in my mobile when I leave my WiFi connection (that works just perfect by the way). So I end up with maybe 8-12h VPN connection active per day. Could this create this error when it hangs? I will also connect my wifes mobile like this, and most likly my parents router also and so on, if I can trust the VPN connection... (well if I end up with that much VPN usage I guess VPN port knocking is a bit unnecessary).

The bad thing with powercyle the router is that I can not get any information about what has happend. I have tried to connect with putty to my router when this happens, but that also fails (It does work under normal condition).

At some stage I could say: This looks like a DDOS attack, however direct after powercycle everything is back to normal. If it is a DDOS well then powercycle should not matter, right?

Oh by the way, I have a static IP address on internet so no DynDNS or anything (well my ISP uses DHCP for the static addresses also but that should not matter?).

Why VPN concern then? Well My general thought is to route all my mobile traffic over my VPN connection when I am not home. I have this working, with a Androind Tasker task that turns on VPN client in my mobile when I leave my WiFi connection (that works just perfect by the way). So I end up with maybe 8-12h VPN connection active per day. Could this create this error when it hangs? I will also connect my wifes mobile like this, and most likly my parents router also and so on, if I can trust the VPN connection... (well if I end up with that much VPN usage I guess VPN port knocking is a bit unnecessary).

There is a confirmed memory leak issue in 380.58. Serious or not depends on people's usage scenario. Details here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/sbin-preinit-memory-leak-in-380-series-fw.31622/

Perhaps your VPN usage scenario is hammering the leak in /sbin/preinit the hard way. Check the memory usage as outlined in the above thread at 12h, 24h, 36h, 48h points.

If you see an monotonically increasing VmRSS, then you hit the jackpot..

Well I can say this, and thanks for the link to your other thread where I could confirm the problem on my router with your "script", just turning ON the OpenVPN server 1 makes the number change, turning it OFF again makes no difference however turning it ON again well the number still goes up yet again.

However, easy use of the OpenVPN server 1 makes no difference, just the start of OpenVPN Server 1.

I'll continue my tests tomorrow - but now I think I understand what I am looking for!

Very large thanks!

No, I don't seem to have any memory issue due to VPN, not from the tests I have done so far. Well starting a Open VPN server consumes some memory yes, but so far I can not say with any confidence this is related to this memory leak.

Hi all,
I'm trying to connect to an external server using PPTP but through my home wifi connection (RT-AC68U) I always get an error (Cannot verify server identity).
If, eg, on my phone I try using mobile data connection it works fine but when I switch on wifi it stops work.
There's something to set on router to let work PPTP connections? Seems to only happen since I upgraded to 380.57/58 fw.

Thank you all

Try the latest 380.59 Beta 2 firmware instead.

USB Drive fails to mount

I have just installed a Toshiba Canvio 3Tb USB3 portable hard drive formatted NTFS on the USB port of an RT-AC66U router running Merlin's 380.58. The router fails to mount the drive even though it detects it. (it names the drive correctly on status page but says "unmounted") Another Seagate 1Tb drive runs fine on the same device. I have tried the usual cable changes and even tried through a hub. No result. The drive is recognised fine in Windows (10) and passes all disk checks. Tried manually mounting:

Code:
admin@RC-AC66U:/tmp/mnt# mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /tmp/mnt
mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt failed: No such file or directory

Dmesg on boot:

Code:
admin@RC-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# dmesg |tail
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 1
sd 0:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
unable to read partition table
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0

Mount after boot:

Code:
admin@RC-AC66U:/# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
devfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/mtdblock5 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

I'm a bit of a novice at this so I don't know what else I can do. I am logging in remotely with ssh to a friend's router to try and help him out. Just not getting anywhere.

Dmesg on boot:

Code:
admin@RC-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# dmesg |tail
unable to read partition table
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0

That's a lot of hardware read errors. Either the disk is failing, the cable is failing, or your hard disk isn't getting sufficient power.

That's a lot of hardware read errors. Either the disk is failing, the cable is failing, or your hard disk isn't getting sufficient power.
Many thanks for the response.

Follow up: Providing a powered USB hub solved the problem! So many thanks RMerlin for your tireless assistance once again.

The disk works fine connected to desktop pc and passes file checking in Windows. I assume the cable is OK after trying other cables with same result and, hopefully the disk isn't failing if it passes file checking. But I did wonder about the power option. No way of testing it at this point because the owner doesn't have a powered USB hub to try connecting the disk to the router with. I'll try to get him to source one though.

I assume from your response that you would normally expect the firmware to mount a 3Tb formatted NTFS drive without difficulty - unless there is something wrong with the drive itself?

Would it be how the disk is formatted? Would there be any value in creating a 1Tb NTFS partition (like the Seagate 1Tb that was mounted without problems previously) to see if that works?

Last edited:
I'm using AC66u and 358.58. Everything seems to be running fine, but when I try to SSH into it using Putty, I can connect fine via 2.4Ghz wifi, but 5Ghz always fails to connect.

Hi,

Did you find any solution to this ? I first thought this was due to my Windows machine since I am able to SSH on the 5Ghz wifi using ConnectBot on my smartphone.
I switched to the 2.4 wifi and the SSH connection was succesfull...
I still believe this has something to do with Windows since it is fine on my android smartphone. Using Windows 10.

Cheers

Update : upgrading to 380.59 solved this issue so was not due to Win10

Last edited:
The I started getting these same messages in my log the past few days on build 380.65_4. It was working great for weeks up until recently. All of a sudden in the middle of the day the internet starts working intermittently if at ll requiring a reboot of the cable modem and router. What do these "ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb" messages mean?

Should i see whatever problems i was in the beta? this is what happened when i reinstalled it to get the msg for you, it was a dnsmasq error of some sort the previous time. I'm back on 380.57 at the moment and have had 0 issues.

03:23:05 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:23:24 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:23:25 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:23:26 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:23:27 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:23:28 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:23:29 kernel: printk: 3 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:23:30 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:00 kernel: printk: 6 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:24:00 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:01 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:02 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:02 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:03 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:04 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:05 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:09 kernel: printk: 3 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:24:09 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:16 kernel: printk: 11 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:24:16 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:20 kernel: printk: 8 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:24:20 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:27 kernel: printk: 10 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:24:27 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:30 kernel: printk: 5 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:24:30 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:35 kernel: printk: 11 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:24:35 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:40 kernel: printk: 5 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:24:40 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:45 kernel: printk: 6 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:24:45 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:50 kernel: printk: 10 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:24:50 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:55 kernel: printk: 10 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:24:55 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:24:59 kernel: printk: 2 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:24:59 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:25:05 kernel: printk: 11 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:25:05 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:25:10 kernel: printk: 10 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:25:10 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:25:15 kernel: printk: 10 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:25:15 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb.
Mar 19 03:25:20 kernel: printk: 8 messages suppressed.
Mar 19 03:25:20 kernel: ICMPv6 ND: __ndisc_send() failed to allocate an skb

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!