What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to Addons of GUI? Now it opens a new browser tab with help and support links to addons. I cannot find my connmon any more. Earlier I could access connmon from Addons.

I did run

Code:
connmon startup

And the connmon is back. Also after a reboot. Addons part of the GUI seems to be working normally now. So, case closed.

Dirty upgrade from 384.18 => 384.19 on a RT-AC88U.
VPN Client setup still working. No problems with JFFS. All seems ok.

Not sure if it was me or the upgrade process. The first time I upgraded (at least I think so I did), I still had the old firmware. Redownloaded the same package again, just to make sure. Second time upgrading went ok.

Just updated both routers to 384.19, followed recommended procedure, restored jffs, everything running smoothly.

Everything running smoothly after upgrading 384.18 to 384.19. One of my two AC86U indeed needed a restore of the JFFS partition the other one seemingly not (but I still went ahead and restored the backup).

Question though, did the OpenVPN Client Connection Retry attempts setting for infinite change from -1 to 0 ? It says "Connection Retry attempts (0 for infinite)" in the GUI but I have -1 set.

@RMerlin, thank you for 384.19_0 release final. Great upgrade as usual.

@CaptnDanLKW, @Jack Yaz, and others, after upgrading every single RT-AC86U from 384.18 to 384.19_0 release final (almost 50 so far), the JFFS partition truncated to 47MB from 48MB caused issues either immediately or after a few minutes in the amtm scripts (showing minimal updates available when they're not, etc.), or, in the OpenVPN Servers and/or Clients. Waiting, rebooting, or full power off for a minute or two didn't solve these issues.

Upgrading from 384.18_0 or earlier and flashing 384.19_0 or later requires the steps outlined in the link below for stable operation.

I have no doubt that there will be some combination of options/features and scripts that don't seem to need the suggested steps below, but for 100% peace of mind, the minimal commitment to save the JFFS and then restore it after flashing 384.19_0 or later is worth it.

Note that I cannot edit the original post stating "... restore the JFFS partition 'if necessary' with 'required'..."

Restore the JFFS you saved after flashing to 384.19_0 to prevent unneeded wild goose chases on ghost issues that don't really exist. :)
Did you perform any firmware updates remotely for the AC86U or go on site for those models?

This is not good..... Restored jffs, and then settings, still nothing....
Anybody have any suggestions? Reformat? Roll back?
amtm command returns "unable to create directory" and "read only"

Wow, nothing is working for me, re-formatted usb, re-formatted jffs, still nothing.

View attachment 25469
I'm in exactly the same boat. Nothing super-special about my setup other than running skynet (except not at the moment, it's "not found").

I'm in exactly the same boat. Nothing super-special about my setup other than running skynet (except not at the moment, it's "not found").
Tried to downgrade back to .18 and it's "mostly" working except it refuses to accept my username/password or the default username/password. Looks like I'll have to do a factory reset, which isn't entirely unexpected.

I'm not going backwards just yet, maybe a little later. I've flashed and now re-flashed the firmware, gonna try to re-format the jffs and reload the backup to it.
One more time.

Edit:
well, that did not do it, re-formatted the jffs twice more, and restored twice, still nothing.
I've rebooted this AC86U so many times this last 24 hours I am surprised it hasnt' quit, but not yet.
Not much left but to restore to factory and/or roll back? I've been fortunate that I haven't had to reset for about a year.
Probably needs it anyway.

Last edited:
Hi,

How exactly you do the dirty updates on the router?

I've AX88U and would like to update it from 384.17 to 384.19 and if you could list the steps here for me.

Thanks
Not much you have to do. I would restart the router before updating and than wait about 5min. Now you can load the new firmware 384.19. Once the update is done you should wait about 15-30min before trying to log in. This is unique to this update, but once that is done you should be all set.

I'm not going backwards just yet, maybe a little later. I've flashed and now re-flashed the firmware, gonna try to re-format the jffs and reload the backup to it.
One more time.

Edit:
well, that did not do it, re-formatted the jffs twice more, and restored twice, still nothing.
I've rebooted this AC86U so many times this last 24 hours I am surprised it hasnt' quit, but not yet.
Not much left but to restore to factory and/or roll back? I've been fortunate that I haven't had to reset for about a year.
Probably needs it anyway.

Have you tried a NVRAM reset? (not clear on what you mean by "restored twice"... factory restore via GUI?)

Have you tried a NVRAM reset? (not clear on what you mean by "restored twice"... factory restore via GUI?)

When the first restoration to jffs didnt' work, I tried it again. I'm not sure if factory reset will help.
When I try to run amtm, it says it's read only. Something is different about my usb drive. I have tried "reformat jffs on reboot" a few times to no avail.

I am pretty sure that a reboot clears the NVRAM, and I've done that over a dozen times. I may try formatting another usb drive. I am running out of options.
edit: I may be wrong about the NVRAM, so I haven't reset it specifically.

Last edited:
Got some time to load up 384.19. Seems to be working well except for DDNS. Have tried Asus and Afraid DDNS. Both refuse to register.
From my log:
Aug 16 11:03:39 watchdog: start ddns.
Aug 16 11:03:39 rc_service: watchdog 1293:notify_rc start_ddns
Aug 16 11:03:39 rc: received unrecognized event: 1
Aug 16 11:03:52 Mastiff: Got AAE_SIG_REMOTE_CONNECTION_TURNED_ON
Aug 16 11:03:52 rc_service: httpd 1280:notify_rc restart_ddns

Am concerned about the "REMOTE_CONNECTION_TURNED_ON" as the router remote connection is off in the Admin/System
Have double checked the user/password/subdomain at freedns.afraid.org.
Have rebooted the router several times.
Using DoT to Quad9. Have DNSFILTER set to router. DHCP query frequency set to Normal Mode

This was a fresh install of 384.19 over Asus FW with a factory reset and jffs format and manual config.

Last edited:
Upon upgrading from 384.18 to 384.19, my samba accounts got messed up. This happened on both my AC86U-based networks. Restoring JFFS backup made prior to upgrade did not fix it. I had to follow the instructions in post #3 of this thread to fix the issue:

Re: ASUS-RT AC68U - I want Wireguard. May we hope Dev will ever upgrade the kernel for Wireguard? Or I should buy AC86 for Wireguard?
buy the ac86 or ax88...
If the ac86, consider http://www.snbforums.com/threads/suricata-ids-ips-on-asuswrt-merlin.63280/post-610653
or

When I try to run amtm, it says it's read only. Something is different about my usb drive.

A "read only" usb drive is a dead drive. You could try to format it in a PC to NTFS to see if it's still ok and not just some other factor.

I don’t want to get off topic, but is it not beneficial to occasionally dump the old cache and start afresh so it doesn’t get a build up of out-of-date dns resolutions?
I'm not sure how unbound handles DNS updates...
I was talking about GUI graph data

Also how do I stop it from informing me there is an update if there is no available updates....

If it says there is an update available, then there is.

I assume that as I have 'Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs' set to No, then there's no point in creating a JFFS backup for after updating from 384.18 to 384.19?

The JFFS partition is used by all kind of things, not just custom scripts. It contains part of your settings, the Traffic Analyzer database, web server certificates, and a lot more.

I backed up the JFFS partition and upgraded from 384.18 to 384.19. What is the indication that I should restore my backup? I dont use any scripts and not sure if I should do the restore.

Just restore it, only way to be sure unless you want to check every single file stored on that partition to look for corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!