What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, just tried updating from 384.17 to 384.19 on my 68U router, after updating all of the addons first.
I couldn't connect to the internet after updating. The main page said "Internet status: connected" but there was no connection neither LAN nor Wireless to the internet. I restarted and played around with some settings (DNS and DHCP) but nothing helped. Reverting to 384.17 I immediately gained internet access. I could access the router via putty and the web ui just fine.

Did I do something wrong? Could this be an ISP issue?
Anyone has a clue what this might be?

Anyone has a clue what this might be?
Xsvrg,
You might want to consider using GUI (Network -> USB Drive) to safely remove / unmount and unplug the USB Drive that is running your scripts first before flashing firmware update or factory reset. I find this simple SOP useful for me.

Xsvrg,
You might want to consider using GUI (Network -> USB Drive) to safely remove / unmount and unplug the USB Drive that is running your scripts first before flashing firmware update or factory reset. I find this simple SOP useful for me.

I didn't need to do that last time I updated but I will try that. Thanks for the tip.

384.19 on RT-AC5300 after days of operation: Rock solid!

I discovered an interesting issue with 384.19 firmware on AC68 router.

If I enable Game Device Prioritizing, then it takes 5-7 seconds for WebUI to load, no matter what tab or menu I click on. But if I disable Game Device Prioritizing, then WebUI loads almost instantly.

What I have also discovered through testing, Game Device Prioritizing enables QoS. So QoS is what's causing slow loading WebUi and slow navigation through routers menu.
Further more, Game Device Prioritizing, adds additional lag for online gaming, there is a good 2-3 second lag. By disabling Game Device Prioritizing, online gaming lag goes away.

As a final test, I enabled QoS and not Game Device Prioritizing, and WebUI still loads really slow as I try to navigate through routers menu.
I have used QoS in 384.16/17 firmware for personal testing purposes and I did not experience issues mentioned above.

I have reset the router, reflashed the router. Downloaded another copy of 384.19 firmware. Flashed it again, reset again and the issue is still present while QoS is enabled.

I have no use for QoS, but I wanted to try Game Device Prioritizing and see if I see any benefit from it. Unfortunately, there is an issue in .19 firmware with QoS on AC68 router.

Over all, AC68 router with .19 firmware is working well... and... it works with my standalone hotspot that is connected via usb cable.

Side note; I replaced thermal pads on my router today, to see if I could get lower temps. It was a waste of $8.

Mixed success so far with AX-88U upgrade.
- nt_center has been running now for 2 hours consuming 80-90% CPU, running out of patience, no connection to WebUI still
- at least one Windows workstation lost IPv4 internet connection (yet to see if router restart helps), renewing lease or machine restart do not help
- number of other Windows machines are working fine

Rebooting helped with nt_center, usage went down.
For the stubborn PC I changed its local IP and it helped. I think somehow legacy VPN settings get mixed up, altough I do not use OpenVPN at moment.
Grep through nvram show discovered the IP in question visible here on vpn_client4_clientlist=

Hello, iam portuguese, sorry my bad english.

Iam new, i need help please.

I have an rt-ac86u.

How do i create a jffs backup? And how i restore them?

Before update, i need to backup jffs? Or is better do a factory reset and then backup jffs?and Then update to last merlin firmware? And then restore if necessary?

Thanks for the help.

Hello, iam portuguese, sorry my bad english.

Iam new, i need help please.

I have an rt-ac86u.

How do i create a jffs backup? And how i restore them?

Before update, i need to backup jffs? Or is better do a factory reset and then backup jffs?and Then update to last merlin firmware? And then restore if necessary?

Thanks for the help.

I have a mix of AX and AC clients on my RT-AX58U. With the 384.19 builds (all the beta builds and final build), after a number of days the 5GHz devices no longer connect to the router. The 2.4 Ghz clients always work. I don't see anything odd in the log files (except for some of the debug messages already commented). If I reboot the router, I can connect these devices again. Did not see any issues like this on prior builds. Thoughts?

RT-AC 86U, I just updated to 384.19, restored jffs, reformatted jffs at reboot and everything looks good.

Thanks, Merlin and everyone for all the effort.

Mixed success so far with AX-88U upgrade.
- nt_center has been running now for 2 hours consuming 80-90% CPU, running out of patience, no connection to WebUI still
- at least one Windows workstation lost IPv4 internet connection (yet to see if router restart helps), renewing lease or machine restart do not help
- number of other Windows machines are working fine

Seeing a similar issue with nt_center after my dirty upgrade on an AX88U from 384.18, though a reboot didn't help. The WebUI shows my Internet is disconnected, though it appears to be working fine. Another post mentioned the Internet status light on the actual router is red, same for me. After a few reboots and no change, I went back to 384.18 which resolved my issues.

Last edited:
I have a mix of AX and AC clients on my RT-AX58U. With the 384.19 builds (all the beta builds and final build), after a number of days the 5GHz devices no longer connect to the router. The 2.4 Ghz clients always work. I don't see anything odd in the log files (except for some of the debug messages already commented). If I reboot the router, I can connect these devices again. Did not see any issues like this on prior builds. Thoughts?
If you have your 5GHz set the control channel to auto channel then it changes to one of the DFS channel that your clients doesn't support, your clients will not connect to that channel.

@truglodite, what steps did you try exactly?

You need to click the 'Format JFFS on the next reboot' button and hit the 'Apply' button at the bottom of the page. Then you need to reboot the router at least twice (I suggest 3 times in the next 15 minutes waiting 5 to 10 minutes between each reboot).

If you have your 5GHz set the control channel to auto channel then it changes to one of the DFS channel that your clients doesn't support, your clients will not connect to that channel.
I have the similar issue with .19. though the DFS channel not change. my intel ax200 pc cannot connect to 5g while the laptop which use the same intel ax200 chipset can connect without issues. back to .18 solve the problem. I tired flash .19 several times and do factory reset, but no help.

@truglodite, what steps did you try exactly?

You need to click the 'Format JFFS on the next reboot' button and hit the 'Apply' button at the bottom of the page. Then you need to reboot the router at least twice (I suggest 3 times in the next 15 minutes waiting 5 to 10 minutes between each reboot).

I did exactly that (hit apply after disabling custom scripts, then checked format after next reboot, then apply, then rebooted twice waiting 10min between). The JFFS did appear to be formatted correctly; webui showed no jffs partition, AMTM was asking to be installed (fresh) after I re-enabled scripts and ssh'd in, etc. It appears that the problems start a few hours after I restore my jffs backup. For the record, I'm running amtm, qos, diversion (with ps-tls), skynet, yazfi, connmon, ntpmerlin, uidivstats, and martineau's ipcamblocker script. I also have DOT and an ovpn server setup. I even tried the whole thing again with a factory reset to be sure; it keeps getting back to the same state of jffs errors.

Most of the arduous configs of course are in nvram (settings backup). So if I had to redo all my scripts I'm OK with that. I am worried that my combination of configurations/scripts may be causing my router to not upgrade jffs properly for .19. I've read lots of folks having no issues with their ac86u's going to .19, and reports from folks who had no troubles after formatting and restoring jffs. Not sure why mine doesn't seem to be 'taking' like the rest. To make matters worse, I've got 3 kids in distance learning right now. So uptime is critical, and my window of opportunity to work on things is limited to what normally would be my sleeping hours. This has made me consider getting a 'backup router', but bad timing for that with real wifi6 gear 'round the corner.

Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 is now available for all supported models, except for the RT-AX56U (no up-to-date GPL available for that model).

The main changes of this release are the merge of GPL updates, and a nearly complete rewrite of the OpenVPN implementation (functionality should remain mostly unchanged, aside from a few minor things documented in the changelog, and a few bug fixes.)

IMPORTANT: due to a flash partition layout change from Asus on the RT-AC86U, the JFFS partition content for that model may be missing or corrupted following the upgrade to 384.19. Make sure you make a backup of your JFFS partition before upgrading. If you run into issues, then reformat the JFFS partition (don`t forget to reboot), then restore your JFFS backup.

Please see the included changelog for the list of changes.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

thank you for ur FW.

this may be a silly question, I need to configure the option 'Access Control' with asuswrt FW. where can I find that?

thanks

Most of the arduous configs of course are in nvram (settings backup). So if I had to redo all my scripts I'm OK with that.

Sorry I can't be more helpful (my 86U saw the JFFS partition after one format and reboot), but I did have to reinstall most (maybe all?) of the AMTM-supported scripts I'm running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!