What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed the new 384.19 beta 2 firmware from version 384.17 and everything went smoothly with no problems.
The only note is that I now get the warning "A new firmware is available for your router. We recommend that you install it now to increase the stability of your system, get new and better features, and avoid possible security problems."
What should I do to dwn to 384.19?

I thank

I thank
Update to 384.19

Best speedtest tool is speed.cloudflare.com
Cloudflare appears to be be connecting me (in St. Louis) to a server in Chicago. That results in twice the latency of using a closer server -- ie, I am testing not only MY connection but also several along the way to Chicago.

At least with speedtest app I can select the servers I want to hit for the test.
And that also makes it interesting! Check the ping times to Helsinki -- and also note the amazing transAtlantic bandwidth we enjoy.

Successfully done!
However the CPU temperature is always high, 91 ° without cooling and 66 ° with ...
Thank you

The SoC can handle about 125C, you're in the normal range.

Hi, first thanks to RMerlin for his dedication and hard work. It seems reasonable to hold on until the ASUS coders become more organized, nobody can deal with spaghetti bowls instead of well managed source.
My question is: Does this upgrade replace the CFE? Or does the re-partitioning preserve it?
I have 1.0.2.1 on my router. Just double checking.
Best regards to all from Patagonia.

@Lord Lovaduck, from my understanding, the CFE isn't ever touched by 'normal' Asus firmware updates. That is why it is so hard to 'brick' an Asus router.

Btw, what router are you talking about? :)

1598201537914.png

@Lord Lovaduck, from my understanding, the CFE isn't ever touched by 'normal' Asus firmware updates. That is why it is so hard to 'brick' an Asus router.

Btw, what router are you talking about? :)

@Lord Lovaduck, keep in mind that upgrading from such an old firmware to 384.19_0 release final, you may need to do a full reset to factory defaults to enjoy a stable and reliable network afterward.

To best prepare for the upgrade:
  • On the firmware, you are currently on, create a backup config file via the GUI.
  • Create a JFFS backup.
  • Download the zipped firmware currently installed and verify the MD5 hash that it wasn't corrupted while downloading.
  • Create a backup/disk image of your USB drive used for amtm, Entware, swap file, and scripts.
    • Or better yet, clone your USB to another USB drive and put this 'original' away (while testing the new firmware).
  • Save all the above files (and/or USB drive) in a safe place and keep in case you need to quickly have a working router again.
    • You would do so by first re-flashing the firmware you downloaded above.
    • Reset the router to factory defaults, including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox.
    • Select 'Yes' to 'Format the JFFS partition on the next boot'.
    • Reboot the router at least two times, waiting 5 to 10 minutes between the reboots.
    • Restore the saved backup config file you created above.
    • Restore the saved JFFS backup you created above.
    • Re-insert the original USB drive you saved or, restore the disk image you made above before re-inserting it into the router.
  • Flash the 384.19_0 firmware and monitor your network to see if it continues operating properly and as you expect.
  • If it does, the 'backups' made above were just precautionary.
  • But if you do have issues that the forum can't help you resolve quickly, the backups you made above should have your router and network back up and running in very short order.
HTH.

Thanks! Great post, it deserves being pinned so everybody can use the right techniques when upgrading!
I have taken this router out of production a few days ago, and it would be configured from scratch (both NVRAM and JFFS). I saw that this firmware has a different name which includes "CFE" in it though.... Hence the question.
Wouldn't want to need to recover using JTAG if the CFE upgrade fails for this 1.0.2.1 CFE which is not the more common USA 1.0.2.0 AImesh one.

I mean the warning as in the image "Request error, try again", how can I repeat the request?
Thank you

Sorry, don't know what language that is.

Does a reboot help? :)

Is the AC-87 no longer supported? Last build I see on Sourceforge is 384.13_10; I had to downgrade to _8 because the router would randomly become unresponsive.

Have TWO RT-AC88U - one as a router, the other as a node.
Router is running Merlin 384.17
Node is running ASUS 3.0.0.4.385.20490

Just upgraded the node which appears to be without issue to Merlin 384.19

So now...
Router - Merlin 384.17
Node - Merlin 384.19

Should I be aware of any glitches/concerns? Shall I let this bake in for a few hours/days before upgrading the router to 384.19?

Have TWO RT-AC88U - one as a router, the other as a node.
Router is running Merlin 384.19
Node is running Merlin 384.19

Currently, connectivity seems stable for 15-plus hours

However, I may need to power cycle my ISP cable modem. Typically I see over 900 Mbps, and lately I have been seeing no more than 300Mbps.

I would power down the node, then the router, and finally the modem. And then reverse order to power all devices back up.
May place an endpoint (laptop) directly into the modem to see if the issue of "slower than paid for" speed is rooted at the modem

Any thoughts/feedback are always appreciated. I will break out my findings in a separate thread as this thread is for the release of 384.19

Is the AC-87 no longer supported? Last build I see on Sourceforge is 384.13_10; I had to downgrade to _8 because the router would randomly become unresponsive.
From the changelog posted in #1 message of this thread.
https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/changelog-382

Scroll down to this below.

384.13_10 (28-June-2020)
This release will most likely be the last release for the
RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200, due to limited upstream support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!