What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to report a minor error.
The sign for a hard wired connection doesn’t work. It always show wireless connection.
It turned out I didn’t use wlan. That did the trick. Probably solved the other issue I reported.

Why do you say that? Does your fibre connection have some unusual properties? Or is it just too fast for QoS to keep up?
Plenty of fibre connections would benefit from QoS.

Qos is only ment to be used on a slow connection like Adsl and vdsl you dont need it on a high speed connection like fiber

Why do you say that? Does your fibre connection have some unusual properties? Or is it just too fast for QoS to keep up?
Plenty of fibre connections would benefit from QoS.

Qos is only ment to be used on a slow connection like Adsl and vdsl you dont need it on a high speed connection like fiber

It's not as much about speed (latency), but about the bandwidth of your WAN connection. If you are not filling up (saturate) the available bandwidth on a regular basis, there's no need for QoS. Here's a good explanation:

Last edited:
Sonos stopped working. Had to restart the AX88U on beta 3.
Do not know what blocked Sonos in the router, has not happened before..

you are not ment to use Adaptive Qos on a fiber connection !!

That's not strictly true. QOS helps decide prioritisation of traffic types and particularly if you do manage to use your bandwidth with multiple devices.

If you had several file downloads going on for example OR was using your upstream for serving data like media streaming (where its normally limited to a lower figure on a lot of cable tv broadband, for example 22mbps or 38mbps upstream but 380mbps downstream). You can prioritise media streaming for example in this scenario than uploading to OneDrive.

Looks like Asus just pulled FW v3.0.0.4.386_41249 for AX88U - probably due to complaints around failing Wifi scheduling. Download page currently showing the latest 384 version ...

Looks like Asus just pulled FW v3.0.0.4.386_41249 for AX88U - probably due to complaints around failing Wifi scheduling. Download page currently showing the latest 384 version ...

hmmm, I am on that FW. Hopefully nothing too serious, don't feel like downgrading.

hmmm, I am on that FW. Hopefully nothing too serious, don't feel like downgrading.

Same here - scheduling works for me with the previously configured values - as I recently upgraded with complete reset I am not interested in downgrading again :cool:

Not necessarily. QoS can be valuable anywhere that you are attempting to exceed your line speed with traffic.

You also need to remember that not all fibre is high speed. Most domestic fibre connections in Australia are limited to 100Mbs for example, and many are slower than that to save money.

I have changed the USB. I got a small 32GB, formatted to fat32. Tried installing skynet, all went well, but usb not found afterwards. The usb is being detected in the panel. What to do? This happened since the update to beta2.

Skynet: [*] USB Not Found - Sleeping For 10 Seconds ( Attempt 1 Of 10 )
Skynet: [*] USB Not Found - Sleeping For 10 Seconds ( Attempt 2 Of 10 )
Skynet: [*] USB Not Found - Sleeping For 10 Seconds ( Attempt 3 Of 10 )
Skynet: [*] USB Not Found - Sleeping For 10 Seconds ( Attempt 4 Of 10 )
Skynet: [*] USB Not Found - Sleeping For 10 Seconds ( Attempt 5 Of 10 )
Skynet: [*] USB Not Found - Sleeping For 10 Seconds ( Attempt 6 Of 10 )
Skynet: [*] USB Not Found - Sleeping For 10 Seconds ( Attempt 7 Of 10 )
Skynet: [*] USB Not Found - Sleeping For 10 Seconds ( Attempt 8 Of 10 )
Skynet: [*] USB Not Found - Sleeping For 10 Seconds ( Attempt 9 Of 10 )
Skynet: [*] USB Not Found - Sleeping For 10 Seconds ( Attempt 10 Of 10 )
Skynet: [*] USB Not Found - Sleeping For 10 Seconds ( Attempt 11 Of 10 )
Skynet: [*] Problem With USB Install Location - Please Fix Immediately!
Skynet: [*] To Change Install Location Run - ( sh /jffs/scripts/firewall install )

I have changed the USB. I got a small 32GB, formatted to fat32. Tried installing skynet, all went well, but usb not found afterwards. The usb is being detected in the panel. What to do? This happened since the update to beta2.
The usb needs to have an EXT 2, 3 or 4 format with a swap.

Fat32 ??? The form must be ext3 or ext4. However, it is first formatted by the PC in NTFS, and then by the router itself of some of the two variants.You can follow the great guide of @L&LD
AMTM

Last edited:

You need to format NTFS in a PC to clear any issues.
Then USE AMTM (built into RMerlin Firmware) to use its built in feature to format in EXT4 with Journaling enabled to create a 2GB swap partition.
The router itself does not have an option for EXT2,3,4.

Fat32 ??? The form must be ext3 or ext4. However, it is first formatted by the PC in NTFS, and then by the router itself of some of the two variants.You can follow the great guide of @L&LD
AMTM
The usb needs to have an EXT 2, 3 or 4 format with a swap.
You need to format NTFS in a PC to clear any issues.
Then USE AMTM (built into RMerlin Firmware) to use its built in feature to format in EXT4 with Journaling enabled to create a 2GB swap partition.
The router itself does not have an option for EXT2,3,4.

Thank you. Managed to get it working. Old usb was fat32 :D

RT-AC86U running 386.1 Beta 3. Started seeing this in log:

Jan 6 14:23:52 kernel: *** ERROR: [tdts_shell_ioctl_sig_op_load:95] tdts_core_rule_parsing_trf_load() fail!
Jan 6 14:23:53 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 851496c
Jan 6 14:23:53 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.18
Jan 6 14:23:53 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 280
Jan 6 14:23:53 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
Jan 7 05:57:40 kernel: *** ERROR: [tdts_shell_ioctl_sig_op_load:95] tdts_core_rule_parsing_trf_load() fail!
Jan 7 05:57:42 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 851496c
Jan 7 05:57:42 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.18
Jan 7 05:57:42 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 280
Jan 7 05:57:42 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3

Is this a problem or should I ignore?

Thanks

Last edited:
Not necessarily. QoS can be valuable anywhere that you are attempting to exceed your line speed with traffic.

You also need to remember that not all fibre is high speed. Most domestic fibre connections in Australia are limited to 100Mbs for example, and many are slower than that to save money.

Everyone that has posted about this so far is correct.

on a 1Gbps fiber connection there is enough bandwidth that I never use QOS on my end.

On slower connections QOS Is helpful. And it also depends on how many users are on the connection. If you are a single user even on a slower connection there will be less need for it.

Australia "fiber" with nbn is a mix match of different connections and that is why you have such variation in speeds.

Australia "fiber" with nbn is a mix match of different connections and that is why you have such variation in speeds.
Not really what I meant. Australian NBN fibre to the premises is what I was talking about. And the vast majority of those real fibre connections are 100Mbps or less. It is capped by the ISP and organised in speed tiers from 25Mbps to 250Mbps depending on what you want to spend per month. Not many people opt for the upper range.

I myself am on the VDSL Fibre to the node variant which is of course speed limited based on range from the node. The middle ground being fibre the curb, which is generally up to 100Mbps. But both of those options will often be capped by the ISP too.

Not really what I meant. Australian NBN fibre to the premises is what I was talking about. And the vast majority of those real fibre connections are 100Mbps or less. It is capped by the ISP and organised in speed tiers from 25Mbps to 250Mbps depending on what you want to spend per month. Not many people opt for the upper range.

I myself am on the VDSL Fibre to the node variant which is of course speed limited based on range from the node. The middle ground being fibre the curb, which is generally up to 100Mbps. But both of those options will often be capped by the ISP too.

this is specific to the AU.

When most people are referring to fiber connections in NA and EU they are talking about 500+ mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!