What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty flashed over 384.19. No hiccups so far, and it looks great! More great work, Merlin!

Not sure which site people are not happy about the colors. Everything looks fine to me, but I'm using a dark theme.

Recommendation(s) from a year and a half ago when AiMesh was just being introduced to RMerlin supported routers, doesn't apply today. ;)

Same with my RT-AC86U (but only 50 min). Anyone elses RT-AC86U GUI come up?
No hiccups with mine. GUI popped up as usual for me.

Just to make sure i don't miss anything before updating: the factory reset will require me to reinstall all add-ons afterwards?
I didn't have to. I backed up the JFFS and config and unplugged the USB drive before upgrading. Upgraded, did a nuclear reset (because of the webgui problem, got scared and probably not necesary), reformatted the JFFS, restored the JFFS and config. Turned the router off, plugged in the USB drive and rebooted. Then used AMTM to update entware (34 new packages).

It's come up now ok.

I also have the RT-AX58U and did a clean upgrade to 386 Beta 1. It runs traffic well. And the GUI seems snappy. But like the Alpha builds, if I logon to the GUI and move around in the menu system, the router eventually takes a spontaneous restart. I am not sure what it is in the GUI causing this and I have not narrowed it down yet. But if I am in the GUI and I move around quickly in the menu system, after a couple minutes the GUI will hang and then the router takes a spontaneous restart. @RMerlin If there is any way to collect tracings, let me know and I'll do it. I suspect others can also replicate this by just logging into the GUI and moving around rapidly through the menu system.

Provided you aren't running any third party script, I would suspect a hardware issue. I actually spent my whole evening last night on the RT-AX58U while debugging a jffs-related issue, and never encountered any crash.

Eric if you are upgrading from 386.1_alpha4-gd4b7146753 to Beta on RT-AX88U, is there any change between these two which warrant factory reset. I factory reset router every time I load new alpha and wondering is it required if coming from Alpha 4.

I don't remember if the latest nvram-related changes were in alpha3 or alpha 4, so I recommend you do a reset.

@RMerlin
Have you come to any decisions on whether the new (asw?) security measures from Asus are going to be implemented on your version of the firmware?
I think you mentioned previously that they were causing some excessive CPU cycles when first ported into one of the alphas (3 or 3.1?).

Hi,

I can see others are running mostly without issues.
I did a reset of my 5300 (first time in years i'm guessing..... i live dangerously) and it fixed a few very minor UI problems.

The main issue i have is i CANNOT add in a 68U as an AImesh node.
I updated firmware on 68U and put it in AiMesh Node mode successfully (it seems) but the primary router NEVER finds the node. I even tried connecting it via ethernet and still nothing.

Anyone else seeing something like that?

Nice work!!, do you support AX82U?, I Hope so i have GT-AC2900 too this is amazing!

@cvee you shouldn't be 'putting the router in AiMesh Node mode' at all.

Rather, do a WPS reset on it, and don't touch it after it boots up.

Then, from the main router, search and add it as an AiMesh node via the AiMesh tab.

Let it reboot and settle (it may take 10 to 20 minutes, be patient), and then it should be functional. At this point, I would reboot the node (here is when I would place it where it will be used). And after an additional hour, I would reboot both the main router and the node to make it as stable as a single router would be.

If the above steps don't work when trying to add it wirelessly, repeat them (including the full WPS reset...) and before searching, use a wired connection to the node's WAN port and the main routers LAN port.

Hi,

I can see others are running mostly without issues.
I did a reset of my 5300 (first time in years i'm guessing..... i live dangerously) and it fixed a few very minor UI problems.

The main issue i have is i CANNOT add in a 68U as an AImesh node.
I updated firmware on 68U and put it in AiMesh Node mode successfully (it seems) but the primary router NEVER finds the node. I even tried connecting it via ethernet and still nothing.

Anyone else seeing something like that?

Yup. My 88U is my is my router and my 3100 is the node. I've updated and reset the 3100 numerous times and I still can't get it to connect.

@Diddy see the post above yours to see if it works for you too.

@Diddy see the post above yours to see if it works for you too.

No dice. Tried a WPS reset, hard reset, everything. Device boots up and gets an IP address (see attachment), but I get a red light on the WAN light and can not get it to connect. I cannot ping the address either.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.6 KB · Views: 170
Provided you aren't running any third party script, I would suspect a hardware issue. I actually spent my whole evening last night on the RT-AX58U while debugging a jffs-related issue, and never encountered any crash.

I don't remember if the latest nvram-related changes were in alpha3 or alpha 4, so I recommend you do a reset.
No 3rd party scripts. When I revert to 384.17, I can be on the GUI for a long time and have never encountered a spontaneous restart. It only happens on the Alpha and Beta builds.

Same with my RT-AC86U (but only 50 min). Anyone elses RT-AC86U GUI come up?

Ok so restarted my router via the "reboot" command via SSH and it rebooted fine. GUI webpage came up to enter the credentials, put in my user/pass and logged in and now it's just sitting there loading with a blank page.

EDIT: Came back a few hours later; all working perfectly!

Last edited:
@Diddy did you ever reset the RT-AC88U also (both need to be reset and should connect wirelessly...

@heslo on a few routers, I've seen the GUI take a long time to become responsive too. Be patient. As RMerlin said a few posts back, it is doing internal housework.

@Diddy did you ever reset the RT-AC88U also (both need to be reset and should connect wirelessly...

@heslo on a few routers, I've seen the GUI take a long time to become responsive too. Be patient. As RMerlin said a few posts back, it is doing internal housework.

I've flashed both, the 88u and 3100. After flashing, on both, I logged in via SSH and ran mtd-erase2 nvram. I then powered down both units, unplugged, powered on to cycle juice out of the caps, etc, plugged back, and booted.

I was not able to access the GUI (like others), so I did a hard reset on the 88u. When it came back up, I was able to log in to the GUI. Once in, I reset once more (clicking on the check to initialize all the partitions), and it came up fine. I configured the 88u as my router and setup my normal stuff.

I tried detecting the 3100 for a mesh node, but not able too. I plugged the 3100 directly into my laptop. It got an IP and I logged into the router which came up with the "Welcome to RT-AC-3100" splash screen. I configured it as a router, and was able to access the GUI on it. Once more, I reset the 3100 from the GUI, making sure to check the "initialize partitions" box as well. It reboots and reset. Still can't detect it as a node. I'm going to log into the 3100 as well to have a look around and see if I can find any issues.

This isn't my first go around with these, so I'm well aware of the what's normally needed during a FW upgrade. There's another user on here having the same issue with his 3100 as well.

Logged in and got a blinking !. The router is telling me it's running low on free JFFS storage. When I check the sysinfo, it's showing me that JFFS is unmounted. Let me take a look at it compared to my 88u.

Logged in and got a blinking !. The router is telling me it's running low on free JFFS storage. When I check the sysinfo, it's showing me that JFFS is unmounted. Let me take a look at it compared to my 88u.

So even after enabling SSH in the GUI on the 3100, I'm still not able to SSH to the box. Refuses the connection. Is there some way to get that JFFS partition mounted without SSH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!