What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to be P.I.A @RMerlin but something is not right here.

Relax, the beta cycle only started three days ago. I cannot investigate every single bug reports all at once...

OpenVPN 2.5 changed the way it applies routes. Seems that the new method is still broken on 2.6.xx kernels (despite some fixes being implemented before they finalized 2.5.0), as I only succeeded in reproducing it once on an RT-AC68U.

Hi,

Don't know if this is the right place, but noticed 2 things after installing 386.1 beta 1 on my AC2900.
- Clients on Guest network 1 (2,4 GHz) can't access internet
- CPU temperature appears to be +/- 5 degr. Celsius higher compared to 384.19

On my AX86u client guest wifi 1 2,4ghz can't connect to the internet either. 5Ghz has no problem even not with the new/seperated ip-range. For me I can live with the idea that the 2,4Ghz band is not working (yet)

I updated from RT-AC68U_384.19 to this beta. But after the manual reboot it does not work properly. The wifi on my devices shows a broken icon. I cannot load any webpages, and I am having trouble reaching the router itself.
Does anyone else have this issue?

Can I downgrade to some earlier version without a full reset?

I have had issues with RT-AC68U_384.19 where the wifi does drop it's speed from time to time.

I updated from RT-AC68U_384.19 to this beta. But after the manual reboot it does not work properly. The wifi on my devices shows a broken icon. I cannot load any webpages, and I am having trouble reaching the router itself.
Does anyone else have this issue?

Can I downgrade to some earlier version without a full reset?

I have had issues with RT-AC68U_384.19 where the wifi does drop it's speed from time to time.
I did a "dirty " upgrade (384.19>386.1b1) and downgrade (386.1b1>384.19) without any problems.
Seems to me that your router might have a possible hardware error, i suggest you make a backup of your settings (via web interface and partly via SSH console for client names and stuff) and try a full reset first. Then see if the problem persists, before reloading any backup.

Last edited:
I did a "dirty " upgrade (384.19>386.1b1) and downgrade (386.1b1>384.19) without any problems.
Seems to me that your router might have a possible hardware error, i suggest you make a backup of your settings (via web interface and partly via SSH console for client names and stuff) and try a full reset first. Then see if the problem persists, before reloading any backup.
Great to hear. Did the beta work for you?

Maybe my wifi issues with version 19 is because I have too many clients. At the moment I have about 40 wifi-clients connected at all times.
Is there any other router that can handle this better? I have more wifi-devices coming, because of smart home devices.

Great to hear. Did the beta work for you?

Maybe my wifi issues with version 19 is because I have too many clients. At the moment I have about 40 wifi-clients connected at all times.
Is there any other router that can handle this better? I have more wifi-devices coming, because of smart home devices.
At first glance everything seemed to work fine for me (including PPTP VPN), except clients on the first (most left) 2,4 GHz guest network could not connect to the internet. That's the main reason i reverted to 384.19.
Having said that i think Merlin has done a great job (again) :).

As far as another device:
Coming from Netgear's R7000, i bought a brand new AX88U a few months back. It had poor 2,4 GHz coverage, so i returned it and got a refund. I don't have a lot of clients connecting, but do have a home workspace in the attic which is notoriously difficult to cover. Next i obtained a used AC2900/AC86U which works fine for me.

My advice: Now that the AX86U is out, the AC models are dumped. See if you can lay your hands on a used AC86U type (add some extra cooling fans) and my guess is you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
AdrianH,
Where did you get this RT-AX88U 386_41249 firmware? :) Thanks

under drivers and tools then select windows 10 (dch)
second one down is firmware version your looking for :)

and also here - https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RT-AX88U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Listed both in the first post and in the Changelog. Whichever was the latest at the time.
Sorry, only read this part:
386.1 (xx-xx-xxxx)
Switched to the new 386 codebase. 386 introduces
AiMesh 2.0, finalizes the move to OpenSSL 1.1.1
firmware-wide, adds a new speedtest (powered
by Ookla). For more details, please refer
to Asus's own release notes.
but there's also this:
- UPDATED: Openssl to 1.1.1h.
So this one has the issue (which was to be expected).

Unfortunately, on Ax88U, still got these traffic spike from interface "br0", just like what was starting since 384.18. Must exclude this interface as a workaround.

Attachments

• 2020-12-09_09.28.28.351_chrome_ASUS_Wireless_Router_RT-AX88U_-_Traffic_Monitor__.png
    2020-12-09_09.28.28.351_chrome_ASUS_Wireless_Router_RT-AX88U_-_Traffic_Monitor__.png
    342.6 KB · Views: 172
I had to drop back to 384.19 the beta build on my 68U had slow throughput while browsing the internet, streaming as such. Locally GUI was faster and more smooth.

here everything is humming along nicely). I m
I only ask, because, even with the bad JFFS parition, the 3100 works fine as a node on 384.19. Have it running that way now. It's only when I install the beta that it's not discoverable, or even pingable (but it has an IP).
I believe RMerlin has discovered the issue and most likely will be fixed in beta 2 or later on.

Everything seems to be working here.

hmm..unexpected bug exists still even factory restore for serveral times for AC88U.Gotta draw myself back to 384.19,stay put and let see how it goes for newer one.

Boringly successful here. Installed the beta on both an AC-68U and an AC-86U, factory reset both, rebuilt the AC-86U from scratch, then set up the 68U as an AIMesh node.

Have done exactly no real testing yet, but a cursory glance looks as though everything is working exactly as expected. Machines are online, AIMesh node is connecting as expected, and connection speeds are awesome from several points I checked.

And a HUGE bonus - historically, ESP8266/ESP32 devices flashed with Tasmota and ESPHome have had problems connecting to the Asus - both Merlin and stock Asus firmware. It has been a bit of a pain. After this upgrade, every single device connected right away. This could be the phase of the moon or anything else, but that is the first time it has ever happened, usually I have to connect to the devices' built in AP and restart them multiple times. I have rebooted the new firmware several times over the course of reconfiguring it, and everything has connected immediately. This may not sound like a big deal, but it is a big deal to me.

So there potential to support ROG model like AX11000 with non-ROG UI. I don't use any of the ROG-exclusive gaming boost stuff and only the normal router features. It would be awesome to have merlin firmware on AX11000.

- The non-ROG webui is used (meaning some ROG-exclusive features are currently NOT supported)

Understanding the known issue listed, I still wanted to see what luck I'd have w/beta 1 in a stable four-unit AIMesh setup using RT-AC5300 as router, and three RT-AC68U nodes, all running Merlin 384.19. Did clean updates, and the issue described is still there. Network map shows no wireless clients, even though they were successfully connected and the AIMesh topology screen will not load at all. So I reverted to 384.19 and all is well. Will wait for beta 2 and try again. Thanks!

• RT-AC3100 and RT-AC5300 networkmap/AiMesh/other issues (failed hardware validation, fixed in beta 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!