What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you restore an "old" from other router dhcp staticlist? That could be your problem.
Try to do a WPS reset and try without any input from other routers.
You have to enable " Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs " also.

The dhcp_staticlist is originally from my old AC68U but it's just ip and mac-adresses, and it worked fine after I flashed alpha4.
I think a WPS reset is what I've tried?
Can't enable JFFS or anything since the router wont boot

I can put it in rescue mode and I've tried restoring stock firmware as well as Merlin alpha4 and beta1 numerous times without any luck. The Asus tool says restoration was successful but it still won't boot.
Restoration from rescue mode takes a long time to complete you will need a little patience and let it go, it'll take hours.

I know and maybe I was unclear - I didn't restore any backup, just copied the two directories containing openpvn certificate data and custom node-icons to the new jffs partition. This has worked well after every previous factory reset on my old routers as well as when going to alpha1 on the AX86U

What's a "manual hard factory reset"? I've tried WPS+pwr (can ping 192.168.1.1 but otherwise doesn't do anything) as well as Reset+pwr (can ping 192.168.1.1 and upload fresh recovery image) but both methods end in boot loop
Ok, a fresh reset give 192
168.50.1. What is "fresh recovery image" never heard of it.

Ok, a fresh reset give 192.168.50.1. What is "fresh recovery image" never heard of it.
Default ip is 192.168.50.1 for a router that is up and running. 192.168.1.1 is when then router is in recovery mode.
Sorry for being unclear about "fresh recovery image" - english is not my native language. I just meant uploading a firmware image in recovery mode.

Restoration from rescue mode takes a long time to complete you will need a little patience and let it go, it'll take hours.
Thanks, I didn't know. Just assumed recovery was botched after 30 minutes or so. I will try leaving it over night and let you know

I had a bit of a hiccup on my rt-ac86u running a dirty flash from 384.19.
Router simply stopped routing to the Internet suddenly. No log messages, and no other issues seemed evident, all WiFi and services seemed to be running. The only sign (other than the lack of Internet) that the router was misbehaving was that I got the message about the 150 outstanding DNS request limit having been reached.
The only addons I am running are cake and ntpmerlin. Trend permissions are revoked.

I'll keep an eye on it to see if it happens again, and if it does, I will do a factory reset and start fresh.

In general though, I have noticed that 386 is seems to grab more RAM than 384 did. My RAM usage will start at around 60%, then climb steadily to 80%(ish) over a couple of days. On 384, it would climb, but much slower, and not to that high a value.

In general though, I have noticed that 386 is seems to grab more RAM than 384 did. My RAM usage will start at around 60%, then climb steadily to 80%(ish) over a couple of days. On 384, it would climb, but much slower, and not to that high a value.

Hi. Weird situation. When I run speedtest from my AT&T router I get the following:

12/09/20 7:49:08 PMdownstream984.998447154.59
12/09/20 7:48:25 PMupstream852.772387134.293

When I run from the Asus AC-88U that I did a factory reset clean install I get the following:

405 download
392 upload

When I look at the logs when I run the speedtest on Asus I am seeing:

Dec 9 19:53:29 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 f45bb18
Dec 9 19:53:29 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.20
Dec 9 19:53:29 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 192

I have checked/replaced the 3 foot CAT6E cable between the AT&T device and Asus device. I have IP Passthrough enabled and Cascade Router enabled on AT&T device and that is working. Any other suggestions? Is there anything with line 3 of logs above with the pkt param I need to set?

BTW, I have had this issue before the beta but the above information from logs is new information I hadnt seen before.

Hi. Weird situation. When I run speedtest from my AT&T router I get the following:

12/09/20 7:49:08 PMdownstream984.998447154.59
12/09/20 7:48:25 PMupstream852.772387134.293

When I run from the Asus AC-88U that I did a factory reset clean install I get the following:

405 download
392 upload

Dramatically Different Speed Test Results - RT-AX86U

Not as drastic as yourself but firmware-based Speedtest throughput measured much less than via browser of device connected wired gigabit to same router

That's normal for that type of CPU.

Is there anything with line 3 of logs above with the pkt

Those are just info logging from the Trend Micro engine, which was temporarily loaded when you accessed the bandwidth monitoring page.

More ON topic though, I have just been struggling with connectivity between machines that are connected to the node.

Plex and other things cannot be accessed from machines that have chosen to connect to the AIMesh node. AIMesh Router <--> AIMesh Node is not working for me. Everything is on the internet, but routing isn't happening between them.
Do you have a guest network enabled which is synced to all aimesh nodes? I ask because I have found large packet loss when guest networks are synced.

Thanks, I didn't know. Just assumed recovery was botched after 30 minutes or so. I will try leaving it over night and let you know
When your recovery is done and router is up you must get /jffs working.
It's needed to store needed files to router to funktion properly.

Set "Format JFFS partition at next boot" to YES
Set "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" to YES

Reboot two times and login with WinSCP and check if you have couple of maps/files in /jffs directory.
Then you should be go to configur your router.

Probably I'm doing something wrong, but after upgrading from alpha version to beta 1, factory reset and manual reconfiguration I can't get Let's Encrypt working: stuck on "authorizing"

This is a silly question, but where's the Ookla speedtest in 386? I've installed 386 beta 1 but I can't seem to find it.

This is a silly question, but where's the Ookla speedtest in 386? I've installed 386 beta 1 but I can't seem to find it.

Under Adaptive QOS tab (left side), it has its own tab (right) titled Internet Speed.

Under Adaptive QOS tab (left side), it has its own tab (right) titled Internet Speed.

I don't seem to have that tab.
Screenshot 2020-12-10 032451.jpg

I straight updated my RT-AC86U from 384.19 to 386.1 beta1

1) No issues for AI mesh node
2) main router goes on reboot loop

I am only using YazFI (3rd party script) and nothing else. (logs attached)

I have to use Firmware restoration utility to move back to 384.19

Attachments

• log.txt
    210.9 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!