What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did this behavior get explained?

I'm on an AX86 and beta 3. My configuration is pretty much vanilla. I made a full reset after the upgrade from Asus official to beta 2. The router was cold booted after the upgrade to beta 3.

As with user @Mortheus2020, none of these mac addresses belong to a device on my network. Furthermore, the addresses appear invalid, since a mac address lookup reveal that: no vendor exist.

Dec 31 23:37:16 kernel: CONSOLE: 137239.988 wl1: wlc_recv: dropping a frame with invalid src mac addressdf:be:83:32:dc:c3
Dec 31 23:37:16 kernel: CONSOLE: 137239.988 Unexpected RX reason 22 {if=wl1 fc=0040 seq=f6b0 A1=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff A2=df:be:83:32:dc:c3}
Dec 31 23:43:36 kernel: CONSOLE: 137611.561 wl1: wlc_recv: dropping a frame with invalid src mac addressed:fa:2f:99:0e:65
Dec 31 23:43:36 kernel: CONSOLE: 137611.561 Unexpected RX reason 22 {if=wl1 fc=0040 seq=2330 A1=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff A2=ed:fa:2f:99:0e:65}

Another oddity occurred on Dec the 18th when I was on beta 2 and discovered two additional Apple devices in the clients list, with mac addresses very similar to that of my Mac and valid ip addresses (within the DHCP-scoop). The connections showed up as wired RJ45, but the router only has a wan and a lan connection and it's in my field of view. I took a screenshot of the incident and as I did, they vanished from the clients list. I also saved the system log, but they weren't in it. Is it beta teething, or something else? The SolarWinds attack comes to mind since it's plastered all over the media. With lots of people working remotely, who knows?

This happens with Beta2 and 3;

LAN-DHCP
Enabling Manual assignment. Having add 3 wired devices (AndroidTV), 1 Wifi Printer, and 1 802.3ad bonded NAS.

Just some samples, but all throught the log, dozens of messages, mix of wired and wireless coming from Router (AX88) or Mesh nodes (AC5300). Devices not even related to the 5 that were manually assigned. Had unrelated wired devices and wireless, of the wireless some static (Nest Doorbell) and several roaming between nodes (phones). Restarting dnsmasq via scMerlin, rebooting, reflashing, moving from B2 to B3, no difference. Eventually, on wired devices, they lose connectivity and I need to power cycle them to get the IP reassigned. Disabling Manual Assignment makes it go away. Also as part of the this, Network Map, Clients, View List - IP Addresses wire misidentified Static, Manual ,DHCP - haven't gone through the logs yet to correlate the MAC in the messages to the MAC associated with the misidenfied IPADDRs. Had to stop short as the wired AndroidTV boxes (one on each, Router, 2xAIMESH) were being impacted and no TV had family upset with me...

(snip)

Dec 31 13:00:19 RT-AX88U kernel: B0:65:BD:1B:F7:EF not mesh client, can't update it's ip

Didn't try this in 384.19 and didn't use 386.b1 so can't say whether or no it was happening there too.
Since turning off manual assignment, messages, issues have subsided. Will seen when the IP's renew if they get labled correctly in the client list.

Initially my firmware update from 384.19 to beta 3 of this firmware seemed quite uneventful, in other words fine without issue. But then I noted firstly that the logs of the AX88U had entries like...

miniupnpd[1504]: HTTP peer 169.254.107.63 :61264 is not from a LAN, closing the connection

etc
etc

I then noticed that certain devices, the one above I traced to our HP N54L media server in the loft with a static IP of 192.168.1.147, were not being assigned an IP address correctly and so were not able to connect or they were showing as static when the had always been DHCP.
I had to go into the loft and manually resolve the IP issue with the server by rebooting it. Other devices, like our TV in kitchen showed as static when it was DHCP, needed a full power cycle to resolve it. One of our other TV's wasn't able to be assigned an IP address even tho it was set to use DHCP from the router, it kept being failed to be assigned. That needed a power cycle.
Not knowing at the time that a reboot of each device could have sorted this somewhat I WPA hard reset the router and manually applied each of my settings. But the same issue applied with the 169.254.107.63 type assignments within the client list.
Prior to the update from 384.19 I had none of these issues but was reminded in the update notes that a factory reset could be needed if anything strange is noted.

For me tho it was the full power cycle of certain connected devices until the behaviour above was resolved. I am now getting the impression that beta 3 is working fine since power cycling many connected devices.

Last edited:
Did this behavior get explained?

I'm on an AX86 and beta 3. My configuration is pretty much vanilla. I made a full reset after the upgrade from Asus official to beta 2. The router was cold booted after the upgrade to beta 3.

As with user @Mortheus2020, none of these mac addresses belong to a device on my network. Furthermore, the addresses appear invalid, since a mac address lookup reveal that: no vendor exist.

Dec 31 23:37:16 kernel: CONSOLE: 137239.988 wl1: wlc_recv: dropping a frame with invalid src mac addressdf:be:83:32:dc:c3
Dec 31 23:37:16 kernel: CONSOLE: 137239.988 Unexpected RX reason 22 {if=wl1 fc=0040 seq=f6b0 A1=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff A2=df:be:83:32:dc:c3}
Dec 31 23:43:36 kernel: CONSOLE: 137611.561 wl1: wlc_recv: dropping a frame with invalid src mac addressed:fa:2f:99:0e:65
Dec 31 23:43:36 kernel: CONSOLE: 137611.561 Unexpected RX reason 22 {if=wl1 fc=0040 seq=2330 A1=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff A2=ed:fa:2f:99:0e:65}

Another oddity occurred on Dec the 18th when I was on beta 2 and discovered two additional Apple devices in the clients list, with mac addresses very similar to that of my Mac and valid ip addresses (within the DHCP-scoop). The connections showed up as wired RJ45, but the router only has a wan and a lan connection and it's in my field of view. I took a screenshot of the incident and as I did, they vanished from the clients list. I also saved the system log, but they weren't in it. Is it beta teething, or something else? The SolarWinds attack comes to mind since it's plastered all over the media. With lots of people working remotely, who knows?

I am using 3.0.0.4.386.41535 of AX86U now. "wl1: wlc_recv: dropping a frame with invalid src mac address" still exist in syslog.
I think it is the debug information of ASUS firmware.

64 pages, beta2. What’s the verdict for the ac5300? Upgrade or stay put for now? I’ve got no issues atm.
don’t mind investing some time on a clean reinstall, as long as it’s worth it.

Initially my firmware update from 384.19 to beta 3 of this firmware seemed quite uneventful, in other words fine without issue. But then I noted firstly that the logs of the AX88U had entries like...

miniupnpd[1504]: HTTP peer 169.254.107.63 :61264 is not from a LAN, closing the connection

etc
etc

I then noticed that certain devices, the one above I traced to our HP N54L media server in the loft with a static IP of 192.168.1.147, were not being assigned an IP address correctly and so were not able to connect or they were showing as static when the had always been DHCP.
I had to go into the loft and manually resolve the IP issue with the server by rebooting it. Other devices, like our TV in kitchen showed as static when it was DHCP, needed a full power cycle to resolve it. One of our other TV's wasn't able to be assigned an IP address even tho it was set to use DHCP from the router, it kept being failed to be assigned. That needed a power cycle.
Not knowing at the time that a reboot of each device could have sorted this somewhat I WPA hard reset the router and manually applied each of my settings. But the same issue applied with the 169.254.107.63 type assignments within the client list.
Prior to the update from 384.19 I had none of these issues but was reminded in the update notes that a factory reset could be needed if anything strange is noted.

For me tho it was the full power cycle of certain connected devices until the behaviour above was resolved. I am now getting the impression that beta 3 is working fine since power cycling many connected devices.

No mystery, I started to mess with manual assignment, the issue started. Turned it off, issue went away. Had to power off/on a few devices for it to be fixed. All resolved on my end.

Temps in the 80c - 85c range depennding what the AX88 is doing as a given moment. But I do get these 49c - 76c spikes on the 2.4ghz. They seem random, most of the devices in the home are dual band and are on 5Ghz. The odd thing is that it's always 76c, even actively cooling the AX88 with a mini tower fan with lots of air flow. The temps on the 2.4Ghz dropped 9c to 40c, but the spike is still at 76c.

Attachments

• Router Temp 3.jpg
    Router Temp 3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
I have reverted to Asus Stock on my RT-AX86U as it has just had its first public release of version 386 code firmware.
I can confirm for @RMerlin that the following closed source issues have been resolved [did a factory reset after installing Asus stock from Merlin 386.1-b3]

Aimesh 2.0 much improved - less chatter in the logs;
Clients connecting way quicker to WiFi than before [was long delays with 5G and WiFi6];
Guest WiFi on channel 1 for 2.4 and channel 1 of 5G working correctly across the Aimesh nodes;
Lets Encrypt working properly - even get prompt to re-login after certificate confirmation and install complete;
Guest WiFi clients can indeed be viewed in Network Map.
Edit: Forgot to mention that Adaptive QoS now respecting manual speed limits and working well :D.

Very impressed with stock stability so far - but really miss the Merlin Magic which will take this truly awesome router to its full potential.

Appreciate the beta versions you have provided so far - especially given that you had to build out of bits and bobs from all over in the absence of a 386 GPL from Asus. Now that you have the 386 GPL in hand I hope it will be easier for you to pull through the latest stock bits for your stable Merlin release edition. :cool:.

Last edited:
Temps in the 80c - 85c range depennding what the AX88 is doing as a given moment. But I do get these 49c - 76c spikes on the 2.4ghz. They seem random, most of the devices in the home are dual band and are on 5Ghz. The odd thing is that it's always 76c, even actively cooling the AX88 with a mini tower fan with lots of air flow. The temps on the 2.4Ghz dropped 9c to 40c, but the spike is still at 76c.

So after having the mini tower fan blowing on high for a couple of hours, still seeing that 2.4 band jump to 76c, but not all the time. AX88 down to 54c-56c from a 80c-85c. 2.4 down to 39c with the spikes to 76c

Attachments

• Router Temp 4.jpg
    Router Temp 4.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 149
RE AC86 Temps
Until now the only temperature issue my ac86u experienced is the setting is stuck on Canadian and won't stay on Foreigner ;)
oooh, you got the Smart Router upgrade ;-p

Will you release a new AC86u (only) build with this change, for those that are worried about high CPU temperatures?

Or should they wait for Beta 4?

Don't know yet, haven't made any specific plan.

64 pages, beta2. What’s the verdict for the ac5300? Upgrade or stay put for now? I’ve got no issues atm.
don’t mind investing some time on a clean reinstall, as long as it’s worth it.
I have the ac5300. I initially moved to 361 beta 1 a few weeks ago and had many issues. reverted back to 384.19 which is stable (did a factory reset to revert back). Today I dirty flashed to beta 3. So far all looks good. I have 25 IPs on the network, some ethernet, some on each of the 3 wifi networks. I have 3 other routers, one a wireless client bridge, and two ethernet connected APs. All is working. The network map shows correctly (was an issues with beta 1).

So after having the mini tower fan blowing on high for a couple of hours, still seeing that 2.4 band jump to 76c, but not all the time. AX88 down to 54c-56c from a 80c-85c. 2.4 down to 39c with the spikes to 76c

On my AX58U I have also the 2.4GHz temp. spikes to 76°C and then the 2.4 band works very sluggish. Sometimes the temp. returns to normal, and somtimes it stays for hours. The CPU behaves normally with temperature.
With 384.19 I had no temp. problem.
When it stays too long at 76°C, I make a small change in the WiFi parameters and when the GUI returns, the temp. is back to normal.

Just upgraded again from 384.19 to latest 386 Stock version on my AX88U - no temperature increase yet but missing the Merlin experience. Will continue monitoring and decide next couple of days if I take another attempt to recent beta. Happy New Year everyone!

My feedback, after testing the latest betas:

My conf:
RT-AC88U as main router - 386.1b3
RT-AC68U (netgear r7000 with asus-wrt vortex - 384.19)
RT-AC68U (real one this time) - 386.1b3

I full-reset all those devices a ufter pgrading (from previous stable asuswrt-merlin versions).

All went fine, AImesh 2.0 bringing guest network is great.
Then I started to experience drops in connections, bandwidth, etc.

ONLY on the main router. When the same device is connected to one of the other aimesh node, the bandwidth is ok.
RT-AC88U is unreachable, seems to lag somehow. Nothing special in logs except firewall_restart.
I downgraded to beta2, same issue.

Disabled AIProtection, firewall, and followed the recommendations (disable airtime fairness etc).

Same issue. after few minutes the bandwidth drops, the latency from my device to the main router is really high. (behaviour experienced on many devices).
When changing any wifi parameter that implies a "rebuild" (wifi is rebooted somehow after applying the config): all is back to normal, and then after few minutes the same issue occurs.

I tried to define static channels. so far so good.

Please don't hesitate if I can provide any further information, logs or whatever.

I don't have the temperature issue.

Best

Last edited:
@serarien, resetting the routers before upgrading may be necessary for some models/situations. But a full reset after flashing the firmware you want to test is the real work that gets the router to a good/known state and real testing can begin. :)

@serarien, resetting the routers before upgrading may be necessary for some models/situations. But a full reset after flashing the firmware you want to test is the real work that gets the router to a good/known state and real testing can begin. :)

Sorry, I'll edit my post: indeed I did reset the routers AFTER the upgrade :)

Back on 386 beta 3. Did a services-start script file to run "pwr config --wait on" and the CPU temp is holding at 83-84 C. Cooling fan on order...
I taped a little 5v maker fan to the middle of the right side vents, over the processor, wired it to the usb port and my temps dropped from 84C to 71C. I had been at 80 on Beta2. Probably a good idea anyway.

I've been running beta 3 since we resolved the MCU being blanked problem when installing over asus stock.

Everything has been going well with my AC88U, running non-mesh, with about 30 clients with two exceptions:

1. I lost the 5g band once. I turned off 160, and that problem has not reoccurred. I gather from other postings that this may have to do with the auto channel it selects for that high bandwidth.

2. IPV6 seemed to be non-functions in beta 3. I noticed this because of log errors. When I reverted back to ASUS 386 stock, IPV6 came back.

Any ideas how to trouble shoot the issue in beta 3? set it to native, and auto, which populated the proper settings, which works in stock but not the beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!