What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have just upgraded my RT-5300AC and RT-AC68u with 386.1. Beta 3
Everything running smoothly, AI-Mesh working now.
Just a bit surprised as now i have only one 5G Wifi ?
Otherwise all good.
Tks Merlin !!!

Hi,

I have just upgraded my RT-5300AC and RT-AC68u with 386.1. Beta 3
Everything running smoothly, AI-Mesh working now.
Just a bit surprised as now i have only one 5G Wifi ?
Otherwise all good.
Tks Merlin !!!
You mean you have the rt-ac68u as node and no 5G?
As I have the rt-ac86u as router and 2 rt-ac68u as nodes and only one of them has 5G.
With beta 2 all of them had 2 and 5g.

After a couple of factory reset and restarts they all have 2 and 5G.
Maybe a something didn't get a chance to start correctly

You mean you have the rt-ac68u as node and no 5G?
As I have the rt-ac86u as router and 2 rt-ac68u as nodes and only one of them has 5G.
With beta 2 all of them had 2 and 5g.

After a couple of factory reset and restarts they all have 2 and 5G.
Maybe a something didn't get a chance to start correctly

The RT-AC68U is used as a node.

With 384-19 i had :
Wifi 2.4G
Wifi 5G
Wifi 5G_2

Now with 386-1 beta 3 i have :
Wifi 2.4G
Wifi 5G_2

Beta 3, did “pwr config (2 hyphens) cpuwait on”.
AX88U.
Ambient 25°.
Cpu temp went from 76° to 66° in 30 seconds or so.:)
No operational issues seen so far.
Just wish I knew how to make it survive a reboot........:oops:
(Any guidance appreciated).

[Edit, 63° now!]
Put the command in a script that runs at start. It does work.

Put the command in a script that runs at start. It does work.

I am with AX88U HW ver. 1.0 and 384.19. Will upgrade to 386.1 when it goes stable. Just discovered that my cpuwait is off. I don't know when it has been switched off. Ambient 21°, 2.4 GHz off, 5 GHz 41°, CPU 67°. Router is idle.

I am wondering what are exactly the "technical issues" lead Asus to switch-off cpuwait? Is it safe to turn it on? The 67° is pretty good temperature, but it is always better to lower it ... :rolleyes:

Beta 3, did “pwr config (2 hyphens) cpuwait on”.
AX88U.
Ambient 25°.
Cpu temp went from 76° to 66° in 30 seconds or so.:)
No operational issues seen so far.
Just wish I knew how to make it survive a reboot........:oops:
(Any guidance appreciated).

Put the command in /jffs/scripts/services-start

Make sure you have scripts enabled.

Was able to cook a version of Beta4 last night.

1609594888828.png

Only to then look at the commits on Github afterwards, and noticed it didn't seem to have the merge with 386.41535 yet... (Duh on my part) :p

Working flawlessly though, just to make sure I am clear and not completely lost; is beta 3 is currently in line with ASUS version release 386.41157?
(This is just my assumption based on the commits I see on Github; But I am hoping someone can confirm or deny...)

Thanks again for all the hard work being put into this!
I think I'll wait for the Merge commit from 386.41535 next time if that's what I'm looking for lol...

Quick question though, seeing this is my first time compile for this project, does anyone know what the difference is between the cferom_ubi.w and ubi.w versions of the firmware once the compile is completed?
I used cferom_ubi.w seeing it's what RMerlin/Eric releases, but I am curious if the cferom version touches bootloader while ubi.w might not?

Thanks in advance all!

I have a AX88 v1.0 with beta3 and a AC68-U with the latest firmware from Asus. For the life of me, I can't seem to get the AX88 to add the AC68U as a AiMesh node. Anyone has any advise on this? I did the following :

1. AX88u set in Aimesg Router Mode
2. Factory Reset AC68u
3. Connect to AC68u using mobile phone
4. Set AC68u as Aimesh node using mobile phone
5. Connect to AX88u using PC
6. Search for AC68 by going to "Aimesh" and selecting "Add Aimesh Node"

Thanks

I have a AX88 v1.0 with beta3 and a AC68-U with the latest firmware from Asus. For the life of me, I can't seem to get the AX88 to add the AC68U as a AiMesh node. Anyone has any advise on this? I did the following :

2. Factory Reset AC68u

Thanks

You don't need to do steps 3 and 4. That is likely your issue. If you just do 1,2, 5, then 6, it should find and add the AC68u accordingly. I have the same 2 router setup as you in AIMesh mode and this has worked for me several times. Hopefully it works for you! Also, make sure the nodes are close together unless you have them connected via ethernet backhaul.

2. Factory Reset AC68u

Thanks
Make sure WPS is turned on on main router. I have seen many time its not.

Last edited:
Did so too a few months back. Decreased the CPU temp by ~10-15 degrees Celsius
I'm thinking it's a goood idea for me too. now I have to look up the USB pin config so I can find the req'd 5V

I'm thinking it's a goood idea for me too. now I have to look up the USB pin config so I can find the req'd 5V

Here's the colour code:

• Red: The wire in red is used to pass positively-charged electric power. It has 5V direct current electricity.
  • Black: The wire in black is the ground wire.
  • White: The wire in white is used for positive data (D+).
  • Green: The wire in green is used for negative data (D-).
Sometimes you encounter these colours:

• Orange: The wire in orange is used to pass positively-charged electric power. It has 5V direct current electricity.
  • White: The wire in white is the ground wire.
  • Green: The wire in green is used for positive data (D+).
  • Blue: The wire in blue is used for negative data (D-).
I cut of a few inches of an old mouse cable, cause it's flexible and thin.
Read somewhere it's better to connect to the USB2.0 (black) port and not the USB3.0 (blue) port.

Last edited:
Here's the colour code:

• Red: The wire in red is used to pass positively-charged electric power. It has 5V direct current electricity.
  • Black: The wire in black is the ground wire.
  • White: The wire in white is used for positive data (D+).
  • Green: The wire in green is used for negative data (D-).
Sometimes you encounter these colours:

• Orange: The wire in orange is used to pass positively-charged electric power. It has 5V direct current electricity.
  • White: The wire in white is the ground wire.
  • Green: The wire in green is used for positive data (D+).
  • Blue: The wire in blue is used for negative data (D-).
I cut of a few inches of an old mouse cable, cause it's flexible and thin.
Read somewhere it's better to connect to the USB2.0 (black) port and not the USB3.0 (blue) port.
Thank you, kind person! I have (as I'm sure most of us do) a drawer full of various USB cables that can be used...

Is this a new feature on the RTAX88U in beta 3?
View attachment 29030
if so, what values should be put here?

It's not new on my firmware, but it was recently added by Asus to the 386 codebase.

The only change for me is the addition of the IAID/DUID checkbox.

If your connection is working, then don't put anything there. These are for some ISPs like Sky who require user authentication through DHCP options.

It's not new on my firmware, but it was recently added by Asus to the 386 codebase.

The only change for me is the addition of the IAID/DUID checkbox.

If your connection is working, then don't put anything there. These are for some ISPs like Sky who require user authentication through DHCP options.
Maybe you should see if you can place it Below the Dns-Over-TLS server list to cut down on confusion.

1609614898459.png

I am with AX88U HW ver. 1.0 and 384.19. Will upgrade to 386.1 when it goes stable. Just discovered that my cpuwait is off. I don't know when it has been switched off. Ambient 21°, 2.4 GHz off, 5 GHz 41°, CPU 67°. Router is idle.

I am wondering what are exactly the "technical issues" lead Asus to switch-off cpuwait? Is it safe to turn it on? The 67° is pretty good temperature, but it is always better to lower it ... :rolleyes:

I think ‘off’ is the default.
Switching it on has made no changes here, except a considerable CPU temperature drop.
Hours later, about 15° lower!

I have been running cpu wait on (and now cpu speed on) for almost a year, with no issues.

Clean reset after BETA3 - put all settings in by hand. No JFFS backups used as reset. No add-ins. Not lying here, as I know NOT doing this can cause issues that aren't issues with the firmware.

For me, QOS does not seem to work (saw this in previous releases too) . Two new AX86U routers. One at one house, one at the other. Both reset and BETA 4, same config near enough except for DHCP reservations and MAC clone address.

When I start streaming media, no traffic on either router is observed (on the previous AC86U I would see it) in QOS pie charts OR at a device level (being server streaming). I don't see upload or download data for device or QOS category increasing and the GUI graphics dials for upload and download stay at zero.

I have an upstream of 38mbps with no ISP saturation issues - previously worked fine for 2 years. With an AX86U on the downstream receiving end I get stop-starts to the media even though the media files have always played fine. I swap out the AX86U at the receiving end back to the ISP's cable router (Virgin Media, UK), and its fine again!

I've previously used two AC86U on last Merlin production release without any issue - one for sending upstream, one for receiving downstream with pretty much the same configuration and both wired with CAT8. Both sender router and receiving router are in same town, on same ISP.

So for me, QOS and Traffic Analysis seems to be broken; at least on AX86U?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!