What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a request.
As I have 3 equal AIMesh, it would be nice to have the possibility to name them yourself. Or add more fixed names to the list.

I have a request.
As I have 3 equal AIMesh, it would be nice to have the possibility to name them yourself. Or add more fixed names to the list.

You can do that already, assigning a custom name to a router (both router and AImesh nodes). Choose 'custom' from the list and then you can specify your own description for the choosen router.

1609848922168.png

You can do that already, assigning a custom name to a router (both router and AImesh nodes). Choose 'custom' from the list and then you can specify your own description for the choosen router.
Very strange. I don’t have that option. (We have different HW).

Attachments

• D24654B0-7A7D-4C2E-B1B0-B70CBE6931F9.jpeg
    D24654B0-7A7D-4C2E-B1B0-B70CBE6931F9.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 230
Very strange. I don’t have that option. (We have different HW).

Indeed, we have different hardware.

Here I have 2x RT-AX88U units and they support custom descriptions.
I am not sure, maybe some models don't have support for this.

Last edited:
@RMerlin
I have a strange issue.
If I connect one of my AC66U B1 hardwired (lan port) to a switch, some errors occurs on other items. My AppleTV has an app installed named Roon TV:Remote.
That app can’t longer discover my Roon core. However it’s easy to fix as I can tell the app Roon server IP address. Also Hue seems to be affected.

Next issue is also related to Roon.
Music now suddenly stops for a second, then play again 10 to 20 seconds, and one second pause. The behavior does not always happen. Problems goes away if I remove the wire to my switch.

My network starts with ipCop as DHCP.
A Cisco SG300-20 managed switch attach my wireless AP/AIMesh. (AC68U)
Another Cisco 2890G in living room attaches one of 3 AC66U B1. This is the only hardwired mesh node.
The 2960G also connects the AppleTV. Roon server is attached to the SG300-20

Don’t spend any time on this. I just like to report it. It may be related to how Roon works as well.

One thing I like to understand. My Asus AIMesh is meant to be wireless only. I noticed all hardwired users is also reported. Is there a way to “remove” them ?

Last edited:
On AX-86U with "rough" Beta4 and before that Beta3. I'm seeing high memory use for both Beta firmwares: after rebooting eight hours ago, the memory usage has moved up from ~65% to 97%
Used 997 MB
Free 27 MB
Total 1024 MB
I haven't used Asus stock firmware, so don't know if stock is more stable for memory usage.

I am seeing the same thing on an AX-88U with Beta 3
RAM
Used 907 MB
Free 117 MB
Total 1024 MB

I am seeing the same thing on an AX-88U with Beta 3
RAM
Used 907 MB
Free 117 MB
Total 1024 MB

With 98% RAM used on AX-86U with test build Beta after Beta3, I did a reboot from the Web GUI then saw the USB Drive (swap, entware, Diversion, Skynet etc) was disconnected which is unusual.

I then did a power switch reboot at the router and the USB Drive connected fine. Running amtm, I saw Diversion got an updated file that may be due to router test build Beta firmware update. Currently RAM used is 58-59%. Going to keep an eye on RAM usage today and if it rises again see if I can debug using command line top.

UPDATE:
09:00 59% RAM used after reboot.
13:00 64% RAM used
16:00 64% RAM used
18:20 97% RAM used

Using command line through ssh
Code:
shows no single application hogging memory: largest user is Diversion at 3.5%. Checking scripts: I disabled Diversion, then disabled SkyNet then disabled FlexQoS, but RAM used stayed at 97%. Without more information, hard to know what is happening here.

UPDATE 2 (AX-86U on test build Beta "386.1_beta4-g38d0b385e7") :
similar pattern from last night to this morning with RAM use to 97-98%.
After a power-cycle reboot, today I'm monitoring the Cache memory to see if that's going to take the free RAM.

UPDATE3: it's the cache causing free RAM to reduce (RAM used went from 60% to 86% to 97%, and RAM cache went from 85MB to 303MB to 423MB).

Attachments

• traffic-freeze.png
    traffic-freeze.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
I have a request.
Scroll all the way to the bottom of the list of names/locations, you'll find "Custom", use that and name the nodes what you like.

Beta4 still has some qos issues. Rules set (that ive used a long time) work perfect on a AC86u with beta 3. They are totally ignored on beta4 AX86u

Been experimenting a bit with temps and CPUWAIT on AX88 (HW 1.1) with two AC5300 Aimesh nodes, testing with passive and active (mini tower fan on high) cooling with a consistent 24.4 ambient, several cycles of heating and cooling. Took 30 minutes between each sample so as to achieve a steady state, recorded temps are +/- 1c. Traffic and devices fairly constant, couple of Nest cams, a couple of Android tablets monitring them, a couple of TV streams and other assorted devices.

CPUWAIT disabled, temps got up there. 2.4Ghz/5Ghz/CPU Passive cooling 49/48/90 Active 39/38/63
CPUWAIT enabled, temps manageable. 2.4Ghz/5Ghz/CPU Passive cooling 49/48/80 Active 38/35/54

Power Management Configuration
WIFI Off Disabled
DISK Off Disabled
PCI ASPM Disabled
UBUS DCM N/A
CPU Off N/A
CPU Wait Disabled/Enabled
CPU Speed Disabled
XRDP Gate N/A
NET Down Disabled
PHY Down Disabled
PHY EEE Disabled
PHY APD Disabled
SF2 DGM Disabled
DRAM SR N/A
AVS Enabled

Once steady temperature state achieved, starting running a few load/performance tests. There was no attributable performance gain/loss in any of the Speedtests performed at the PC, Router, or AndroidTV boxes (using Netflix/AT&Ttv tests). Streaming content from a NAS (NAS configured as 802.3ad bonded ports 1&2, using Jumbo frames at both the NAS, PC and configured at Router), basically generating work from connected PC and wireless (tested both bands) Laptop, individually and simultanesously. Results were very similar across all runs or weren't noticeable as much as the temperature variences were.

On the attached graph, on one of the cycles, while going from passive to active cooling. I enabled CPUWAIT to see if there would be a visible result I could spot on the graph, sure was...

Attachments

• Router Temps CPUWAIT.jpg
    Router Temps CPUWAIT.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 148
So far this one has been better than most with the IOT. All 3 of my devices have this firmware on it currently, and my IOT does not drop as much, and I can use them sometimes. I'f I leave my Lifx app open, I can see it connect, and after a moment drop...the sometimes reconnect. Nest is a bit better, but they also still drop. Brilliant switch, still a no go.
My config: AX88U main AP, AC88U Mesh node and AX58y Mesh node with wired backhaul.
I run the main AX88U in AP mode because I run Firewalla as my main router/Firewall.

Known issues:
  • Lots of "messages suppressed" on RT-AX88U syslog when using Guest Network 1 (upstream issue, was reported to Asus. As a workaround use Guest Network 2 instead, though it won't be shared across AiMesh nodes)
  • RT-AX58U crashes when enabling the Trend Micro engine (missing flowcache userspace tool, fixed in beta 2)
  • RT-AC3100 and RT-AC5300 networkmap/AiMesh/other issues (failed hardware validation, fixed in beta 2)
  • VPN clients occasionally missing routes (possibly related to new route creation in OpenVPN 2.5, will test reverting to iproute2 for beta 2 on 2.6.xx kernels)
  • Route issues when managing multiple VPN clients, even on HND models (Bug in OpenVPN 2.5's netlink implementation where the retrieved current default gateway is sometime from another client rather than from the WAN interface, reverted to iproute2 for all models in beta 3)
  • Missing runner status on RT-AC86U (fcctl on early HND models don't report runner status, fixed in beta 3 by retrieving it in a different method)
  • Missing Speedtest on RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U (This is by design, checking with Asus on the reason they are disabling it on these two models)
  • Let's Encrypt renewal issues (bug caused by a change in root CA by LE, fix being implemented upstream by Asus, awaiting updated code from them)
  • WAN or OpenVPN UDP connectivity issues (Go to your WAN page and make sure your MTU is set to 1500 or 1492 (PPPoE) instead of being blank)
  • Adaptive QoS issues on RT-AX56U/RT-AX58U (Fixed upstream, awaiting updated code from them)
  • Adaptive QoS/Bandwidth Monitor issues on RT-AX86U (Fixed upstream, updated GPL hasn't been merged in yet)
Has Beta 4 for the RT-AX88U been released? i'm seeing discussions on beta 4 but don't see it anywhere. Thanks

"I'm not seeing it anywhere" = not released. :)

Some have compiled their own Beta 4's, but I can't see the point (many missing modules on anything we can compile ourselves).

DNS over TLS on both, and HTTPS with external cert and strong key length. DDOS active. One port forwarded. Accessed by sub-domain with login.

So, not OpenVPN then? And worse, you're leaving WAN access enabled on the router(s)? Doesn't seem like a good plan to me. ;)

On AX-86U with Beta4, AiProtection - Time Scheduling seems to be working as expected. A printer that was set for restricted internet could not access firmware update information over the internet, and after giving it one-hour access it's now updating its firmware.
I've been using beta4 on my AX-86U. Aiprotection time scheduling seems to work just on web browsers but not for other services: whatsapp, spotify, ecc.

Beta 4 has not been released. The RT-AX86U build is just an early test build, it does not contain anything else than the updated Trend Micro engine, and is not a beta 4 release.

I have the ac5300. I initially moved to 361 beta 1 a few weeks ago and had many issues. reverted back to 384.19 which is stable (did a factory reset to revert back). Today I dirty flashed to beta 3. So far all looks good. I have 25 IPs on the network, some ethernet, some on each of the 3 wifi networks. I have 3 other routers, one a wireless client bridge, and two ethernet connected APs. All is working. The network map shows correctly (was an issues with beta 1).

Hello- Checking in to see how your AC5300 is working on beta 3? I have 2 of them and then 2 AC3100- Would love to get some perspective as I am looking forward to AiMesh 2.0. Specifically being able to bind a client to a specific node.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!