What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgraded my RT-AC86U to the latest 386.1 firmware without having to do a factory reset. The WebUI was unresponsive for approximately 30 mins, but I was able to browse the internet during this time. Also was able to SSH into the router and watched the nt_center process use my CPU at 70-90%. Now that that is over, everything is working smoothly!

Big thanks to to @RMerlin for yet another stable release. Raising my glass (actually cup of coffee) and sending a small token of gratitude your way :) Cheers

Does time blocking work just with web pages or also with spotify, netflix, etc?
I didn't see anyone reply to your question so here is my 2 cents. The time schedule block is per device so when you setup the device to only access internet between 6am-8pm, that device can't access anything, webpages, spotify, netflix, etc...from 8:01pm to 5:59am.

I am impressed with the Speedtest accuracy. I ran an ’Internet Fast Test’ from my desktop and then again via the router Okla page. The results were practically the same for all intents and purposes.
My OpenVPN speedtest results are the same as previous Merlin 384.19 too.

Cosmetic issue with display of LAN5 on AX86U. It reports "Unplugged" on both Network Map and Tools pages.
I am using the 2.5G port of the AX86U as a 5th LAN port running at 1G (NOT 2.5 G), because "why not?".
It appears to work just fine, while reporting "Unplugged".

Did ASUS assume that it would only be used for 2.5G links (and therefore report it unplugged if it isn't running at that speed)?
I don't have anything running at 2.5G to determine if that would report "Unplugged" or "2.5 Gbps".
Is using the 2.5G port for 1G somehow unsupported? It seems to function well (though I haven't seen posts about it).
Presently running 386.1. I also noticed it in beta5, but had not tried it in previous betas (or with stock, since I would never dare).
NOTE: I am also presently running in AP/Aimesh mode. with a AX58 connected to it, with an old AC88U as my main router and I was finally going to move the AX86U as my main router with 386.1. There is some small chance that this won't show up when I make the AX86U the main router (but I doubt it).
View attachment 30046

View attachment 30047

I have two AX86Us. One is the main router and the other an access point. Both are running ASUS firmware 3.0.04.386_41435 and are connected via the 2.5G ports. Here's the status display from the main router:

1612107036526.png

The access point doesn't show the 2.5G connection at all. Here's its status display:

1612107211161.png

In the access point case, I believe LAN5 is actually the WAN port on the back of the router. LAN6 would be the 2.5G port but it doesn't show up.

I reported this to ASUS in October of last year. They acknowledged that it was a bug, but obviously haven't fixed it yet.

I haven't updated to the Merlin release yet. I had tested one of Merlin's betas and it exhibited the same behavior. I assume the bug is probably in one of the ASUS closed source modules.

That’s strange as I have just used my iPad to run a Speedtest via the GUI and it all was shown perfectly. Same as my Desktop.

Running iOS v14.4 on iPad Pro 11”

Dirty upgrade from 386.1B5. Seamless upgrade (first the mesh node/58U, then the router). All devices just reconnected and no untoward items in the logs and the radio and processor temps didn't change (47/69C which is where they've been since the end of northern hemisphere summer plus or minus a degree or two).

Thanks!

Any reason you're not connecting both Synology LAN ports to your network? Or is it due to a limitation of ports on your device/switch etc...?
No, only one port is connected to the LAN (the port 1). This is the reason why it is weird that the router is discovering the second port of the NAS although there is no cable between the NAS and the Node.

couldn't find it, which post was it?
You can use both Merlin and stock Asus, but it's recommended to use the same code base 386 since there were major changes from 384 to 386.

Upgraded RT-AC86U from 384.19 to 386.1 (dirty flash). Ended up in a boot loop. The 2.4Ghz came up but I couldn't connect. The 5Ghz was probably still performing radar checks for DFS when it rebooted and everything started again. Couldn't connect via LAN.

I did a factory reset which seemed to get things going again, but the GUI kept being non-responsive.

Used the firmware restoration tool to reflash 386.1, then reloaded saved config and saved JFFS partition from 384.19. All seems to be working again now.

Note I am having temperature issues so not sure if that could be part of the problem. On 384.19 CPU was at 90C all the time. On 386.1 it's up to 98C with one CPU shutting off. I've now got a desk fan pointing at it and the temp is down to 75C, so heatsink/thermal paste must be shot. Have ordered some 70cm USB fans to stick on the back.

RT-AX86U

Dirty upgrade from Beta 4 -> Beta 5 and finally Release, so far so good

Running
  • Diversion
  • Skynet
  • FlexQoS
  • YazFi
  • Scribe
  • xm3Routing (not configured yet)
  • Unbound - DoT
  • nsrum
  • ConnMon
  • ntpMerlin
  • scMerlin

Running custom bridges for my core L3 lab stuff

Next trying to run Quagga for BGP dynamic routing for HomeLab, wish me luck

Thanks great work happy with my Asus-Merlin so far

No, only one port is connected to the LAN (the port 1). This is the reason why it is weird that the router is discovering the second port of the NAS although there is no cable between the NAS and the Node.
That is strange. FWIW I've got two Synology NAS's at home. One with 2 eth ports (DS412+), and the other with 4 ports (DS1618+). Both have all ports connected to my switch with assigned IPs but they only show up on my Asus Router listing with the eth1 IP address.

I accidentally enabled Lets Encrypt with DDNS and even that worked!
Welcome to the club.
I use Lets Encrypt for my servers so when I saw a cert being pulled in the router, I wasn't at all happy. In the end, no harm done.

I have tried to upgrade on my ac86u and ac1900. Nothing happens meaning I click upload and nothing uploads. Running 384.19 now

It is weird. I rebooted the NAS and it still kept showing the port 2 IP.

Then I unplugged the cable for about 10 minutes and after reconnecting it I can see It was maintaining the port 2 IP.

So I turned off the NAS ... and I can see that the NAS was being shown in the client list even some minutes after it was turned off. So I Updated the Status Client List ... after that the NAS disappeared from the client list. Then I turned on the NAS ... and now it is being shown the right port 1 IP in the client list.

One more strange thing is that when the wrong port 2 IP was being shown in the client list ... the MAC address that was appearing in the client list was the MAC address from port 1 and not the MAC address from the port 2. It was like a mix of the MAC Address from the port 1 and IP address from the port 2. And the NAS only accessible from the IP address that it is not shown in the client list. :eek:

I have an Asus NAS AS1004T V2 on the network and I had a IP issue aswell after first boot on the new firmware. I use DHCP and it kept assigning a different ip I was wondering why all my drive mappings were not accessible, no amount of resetting the nas and pulling network cables would fix it, Kept going back to the same IP. I had to set a Static IP on it to solve the issue.

Last edited:
Will updating the firmware leave skynet and flex settings intact?

Need assistance - New feature of IKEv2 IPSEC VPN Server on the VPN Server page.

Anyone can guide as to how to connect a iOS device (iPhone or iPad) to this newly created server using IKEv2 settings.

1) How do I use the generated certificate?
2) Do I still need Pre-Shared Key?
3) Do I still need to create usernames/ password?

All the help and guides point towards the older version - connect using Cisco IPsec settings; but I wish to use the new IKEv2 server features.

Q: Can someone point me to a more updated instruction set for iOS/ Mac client settings for IKEv2 VPN?

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 04.14.34 pm.png

Eventually, I would like to create a .mobileconfig file that holds everything and I can just distribute the .mobileconfig file to my family members.

I did a full reset due to a few things going to beta 5 and have NO issue with time scheduling. It works as advertised. When was the last time you did a reset?

I should add I'm on AX88U.
Problem still exist for me. After all reset and reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!