What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I still haven't captured all current settings in screenshots.... Any tips on how to do that efficient (in Firefox), especially with pages that requires scrolling?

I use Ditto Clipboard Manager. I log into Merlin GUI and press F11 (to expand the view) and just systematically go through every page and tab of Settings and press Print Scr every time. That gives me some 100 screen shots. Of course some scrolling is needed if you wanna catch all the stuff, depends on tab etc.

Then, from my Ditto I select all the screen captures, right click them, choose Import/Export, Export Clip(s) to Image File(s) and give the set a name e.g. "Merlin 386.1 Settings" and save. Now Ditto will generate a set of pictures: Merlin 386.1 Settings_1.png, Merlin 386.1 Settings_2.png, ....., Merlin 386.1 Settings_98.png. Or something like that.

After that you can select all the files, right click and open. And see what you got.

Last edited:
Dirty upgrade on 66U_B1 from 384.19. I started the flash (which I had downloaded), left for 5 minutes or so and when I came back the login screen was up. Logged in and the GUI worked fine. Speedtest and temps just like before. I like all the choices built in for IPv4 DNS servers. I forgot to unmount my flash drive and now it's not accessible from Explorer. I will unmount it and reinstall and see if that fixes it. (Edit: yes that fixed it.)

Planning to pull the trigger on an AX86U soon even though I don't need it. My 66U_B1 (2017 build date) refurb has worked fine for almost 3 years but I'd like to be more current technology-wise and I haven't spent all my stimulus money yet so why not? :) Thanks to "Mr. Merlin"

Last edited:
Not a big deal but thought I'd mention it....I went from Merlin 384 to Asus stock 386 and for the first time I was seeing my modem listed in the network map. Dirty upgrade to Merlin 386 and it's not there anymore. Updated both RT-AC 68P node and RT-AC86U main. Thanks Merlin, excellent work.

I’m finding the 386.1 final boringly competent!:cool:
Everything ‘just works’.
I really appreciate the work that took, amazing!

One minor discrepancy seen, when I do an ‘in router‘ speed test, the time of day recorded is always = current system time minus 30 minutes. :oops:

Upgrade from 386.1 Beta 5 to 386.1 (final) went fine on my RT-AC86u.

Was planning to do a factory reset this evening, but it already took me the entire night to just write down what I have to re-do... (a project with 27 tasks so far)

And I still haven't captured all current settings in screenshots.... Any tips on how to do that efficient (in Firefox), especially with pages that requires scrolling?
Use your smartphone and just take pictures of the screens.

This method is much better then screen capture not only because it is solving the scrolling problem, but also because you may use copy/paste from saved pages to web gui.
I use the screen capture method. But I also have all the settings which need a lots of typoing (like Manually assigned DHCP IP Addresses, MAC Addresses, Hostnames ect.) saved to .txt-files as well.

Upgrade from 386.1 Beta 5 to 386.1 (final) went fine on my RT-AC86u.

Was planning to do a factory reset this evening, but it already took me the entire night to just write down what I have to re-do... (a project with 27 tasks so far)

If you're using Firefox, click on the "..." ellipsis on the right-hand side of the address bar. You'll see 'Take a Screenshot' as one option. Helpfully, it's a screenshot tool that allows you to scroll.
Clipboard01.jpg

Use your smartphone and just take pictures of the screens.
Or you can use a Screen Recorder and take a video while going thru the Settings. In that case I suggest that you copy/paste some settings to .txt-file as well. Easier to restore by copy/pasting than typing all again.

View attachment 30081

trying to upgrade from 384.19 and it says unsuccessful. I did a manual reset and that did not help either. Any suggestions?
As the error says - have you tried to flash the correct version of the firmware? Looks like you have an RT-AC86U - check that you haven't downloaded the firmware for the RT-AC68U.

One minor discrepancy seen, when I do an ‘in router‘ speed test, the time of day recorded is always = current system time minus 30 minutes.
My router shows the correct time imho.

Is your router time (from System Log - General Log) correct? And there is the difference you mentioned between that and Adaptive QoS - Internet Speed time/timing?

There is no DHCP Option 60 or 61. I looked everywhere, on every page. They disappeared from the WAN section.
I think those settings are located in WAN - Internet Connection - DHCP Option (in the middle of the page).

A picture is worth a thousand words, but selecting a value, being able to copy and paste it, while seeing its context, is worth a thousand pictures or a million videos. :p

I like the suggestion above for Firefox users.

Firefox Menu>File>Save Page As and then choose "Web page, complete" (it is the default choice). I am doing this since 2013 :) Just to note that some fields then remain "hidden" when you open the relevant .htm/.html file, but when you select them they become visible.

This method is much better then screen capture not only because it is solving the scrolling problem, but also because you may use copy/paste from saved pages to web gui.
Fastest way is to just backup then restore the files with something like WinSCP.
You get a windows explorer interface to all the files on the router.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but selecting a value, being able to copy and paste it, while seeing its context, is worth a thousand pictures or a million videos. :p

I like the suggestion above for Firefox users.

Yes the built-in "Take a Screenshot" feature on FireFox works for me. You can also access by right-clicking on the page and it gives you the option (near top-right of page) to select "Save full page" or "Save Visible".

Screenshots don't allow you to select/copy a value though.

Dirty update at 23:40 behind the wifes back, that sounds wrong. She wanted me to delay until a weekend morning in case it went wrong and I killed the internet for Monday morning. All seems to be working as expected, all the old settings and addons all working. Let's hope I dont get a phonecall at work in the morning :)

Current Temperatures: 43 °C - 49 °C - 70 °C

Last edited:
Dirty update at 23:40 behind the wifes back, that sounds wrong. She wanted me to delay until a weekend morning in case it went wrong and I killed the internet for Monday morning. All seems to be working as expected, all the old settings and addons all working. Let's hope I dont get a phonecall at work in the morning :)

You, my friend, are living dangerously!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!