What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Runing 386.1 on my main AC86U since yesterday. I took time to flash it, because I really need Guest networks on my nodes too...

Both radios on my AC86U work without problems, so it is not routers fault. Also, I made Hard reset before and after flashing 386.1 firmware. Jffs partition was Also format trd.

Well... Sigh...

1.) There is no internet connection, when client connects to guest ssid on 2.4 GHz radio. Tried open system (no password), WPA2, synced with mesh node, not synced... Everything. There is SSID but when connecting to it, no internet. Still, it works on 5 GHz radio...

2.) Whenever I make (single) changes in wifi (scheduler, guest wifi, professional settings...) configuration , internet connection goes down. I have to reboot the router to establish the connection again. Modem is in bridge mode, but it is not its fault. What the hell?!

3.) Disabling 2.4 GHz or 5GHz radio button in wifi "Professional" settings still does not do a damn thing. Router shows that the radio is disabled, clients show SSID is still there... Totaly useless... Totaly annoying...

All in all, the things I NEED are still useless, for me no changes for a few releases now...

Last edited:
@RMerlin
What changed that acceleration now works with AiProtection and QoS ? To my knowledge, only flow cache was enabled when using QoS, but not the acceleration thingie. It's cool if it works with QoS now, but I'm just checking it's not false status reporting stating it's enabled while it's really not.

I hadn't checked it, but I get the same error with the included Speedtest on my AC86U if I use Safari as the browser. Firefox works.
Update - it became active just now. I used Edge (latest - chromium based)

@RMerlin
What changed that acceleration now works with AiProtection and QoS ? To my knowledge, only flow cache was enabled when using QoS, but not the acceleration thingie. It's cool if it works with QoS now, but I'm just checking it's not false status reporting stating it's enabled while it's really not.

Has been the case for a while now I think?:)

Good to be back at Merlin's firmware. My upgrade from the latest Asus stock for AC86U and 2 x AC68U was smooth without any issues.

Many thanks Merlin for the hard and structured work to get us to this point.

I mean post here photo of your conversation with asus employee or dont spread missinformation. I asked 3 times and had 3 exact same answers that its illegal and voids warranty. @ASUSWRT_2020 could take a stance as well.
You do know that Eric communicates with Asus directly and he obtains GPL releases directly from them before public GPL release too. Not sure if Asus Poland has a different view on the firmware released/installed though... To install or not, it’s your choice of course.

Runing 386.1 on my main AC86U since yesterday. I took time to flash it, because I really need Guest networks on my nodes too...

Both radios on my AC86U work without problems, so it is not routers fault. Also, I made Hard reset before and after flashing 386.1 firmware. Jffs partition was Also format trd.

Well... Sigh...

1.) There is no internet connection, when client connects to guest ssid on 2.4 GHz radio. Tried open system (no password), WPA2, synced with mesh node, not synced... Everything. There is SSID but when connecting to it, no internet. Still, it works on 5 GHz radio...

2.) Whenever I make (single) changes in wifi (scheduler, guest wifi, professional settings...) configuration , internet connection goes down. I have to reboot the router to establish the connection again. Modem is in bridge mode, but it is not its fault. What the hell?!

3.) Disabling 2.4 GHz or 5GHz radio button in wifi "Professional" settings still does not do a damn thing. Router shows that the radio is disabled, clients show SSID is still there... Totaly useless... Totaly annoying...

All in all, the things I NEED are still useless, for me no changes for a few releases now...

I experience the issue with guest wifi on my ax86.
Only solution is to switch to guest wifi #2 but that is not synced with aimesh.

Waiting on Asus to fix this

I mean post here photo of your conversation with asus employee or dont spread missinformation. I asked 3 times and had 3 exact same answers that its illegal and voids warranty. @ASUSWRT_2020 could take a stance as well.

I had Asus tell me this about 2 years ago when i was having issues via phone support. They firmly stated use of any third party firmware 100% voids all warranty. I quickly hung up the phone and have never called for anything again.

Updated my AC86U from 384.19 to 386.1 and was very pleased to see that the guest WiFi isolation issue I mentioned in the beta thread is not present in this version. Now client isolation in the guest network seems to follow the 'Set AP isolated' setting in the Wireless -> Professional tab, as in previous releases. Not sure who is responsible for this being fixed, but I'm very grateful as it has allowed me to keep 386.1 running on this router.

EDIT: After further experimentation, it seems that the issue occurs when setting up the guest networks using the second column on the Guest Network page - a variable I'd overlooked in my previous tests.

Many thanks to @RMerlin, @themiron and everyone involved in getting this version released.
Some more details on this , in case it might affect any other users, or possibly might assist with guest network issues more generally...

Further testing here with my AC86U has shown that, with both Merlin 384.19 and Asus-WRT 3.0.0.4.386.41634 firmware, I can add guest networks to either the first or the second column and I can see other clients in the guest network. However, with Merlin 386.1, this only works if I add guest networks in the first column. If add a guest network to the second column with 386.1, guest client isolation is always present; i.e. I cannot see any other clients. AND, contrary to what I'd previously thought, this does not seem to depend on the 'Set AP isolated' setting in the Wireless -> Professional tab. So something seems to be a bit messed up here.

As mentioned earlier, I've been testing this on the 5GHz network only, as I don't have any guest clients on the 2.4GHz network.

I've left the router running 386.1 with the guest networks set up in the first column; fortunately I've not seeing any untoward log messages (yet) and all seems to be working OK.

And just to clarify my testing method, I'm using the Fing app on an Android mobile phone to scan for other devices, plus I'm also checking with the Google Home app to see whether any Chromecast devices are available.

This in not the right place to go into this discussion, but let me make one final argument.
Asus' own Polish warranty card contains numerous exclusions in clause 4 (https://www.asus.com/support/images/upload/6e8868f1-725f-4eb6-9676-cda4f09f4a4a.pdf). Flashing non-original firmware is not one of them. Only damage caused by 'third party software and/or viruses' and unlocking the bootloader.
And there is no legislation in Poland that makes flashing Merlin's firmware illegal.
This warranty card is a legally binding document. Any conversation you may have had with an Asus rep that goes against this document is not.

On Network Map under "System Status" on the very bottom i see "Yandex.DNS ... undefined"
Where that comes from? I have never set up anything Yandex DNS related

Same issue, my bandwidth is 600/600Mbs, got 550Mbs on my laptop directly connected thru RJ45 but from router's speedtest (same server/same OKLA test)) it only gives me 200-250Mbs.
This tool is useless if not showing the real bandwidth
Same.

Did a dirty upgrade from 385.19 to 386.1 on my 2 boxes, not noted any issues with usage but checked the system log and getting loads of these

Feb 1 13:34:24 RT-AC88U-EB98 kernel: udb_ioctl_copy_out: no handler for ioctl 0xd:0x4
Feb 1 13:34:24 RT-AC88U-EB98 kernel: udb_ioctl_copy_in: no handler for ioctl 0xd:0x3

Any Ideas on how to clear ?

Thanks alot for all efforts to Merlin almighty and other users(consultants;)).386's nicely built.
Just loaded up and found it's greater than expected.But I found a question about my node's country code was not followed the same as main(my AC88U as main,country's being set on Australia).
Node's country code still on US.Just curious any user encounting such issue?(AC88U loaded up Merlin's 386.1 and node loaded with Asus stock 386.41634).Tried 8+ factory restore still got the same.:(
country code.jpg

Second question is about what's the purpose of this thing ?
Screenshot_2021-02-01 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC88U - Internet Connection.png

Thanks for any drop by.Best regards.

I don't know if that's a bug or not but RAM usage in the dashboard an in htop are pretty different. Dashboard always shows around ~480MB even when there are no scripts installed.

View attachment 30077

View attachment 30078

I'm not obsessed with RAM, especially under Linux since I know that unused RAM is wasted RAM, but the difference between makes me wonder.
I noticed the same issue. Try to unmount your usb drive/key. After I did that, RAM usage fell back to ~43%. Then you can unplug/insert the drive/key back.

Dirty upgrade of 1 AC68U router and 5 AC68U APs on 2 subnets from 386.1b5 to 386.1 went off without a hitch.
Thanks RMerlin!

I dont know if I got this correct, does this mean that we should expect to have GeforceNow QoS option or not?

Only on models that support it, like the GT-AC2900.

What changed that acceleration now works with AiProtection and QoS ?
I don't know.

I had Asus tell me this about 2 years ago when i was having issues via phone support. They firmly stated use of any third party firmware 100% voids all warranty.
Someone else a few years ago posted the exact opposite here on SNBForums, where a phone support agent told him it wouldn't affect his warranty. Bottom line is: first level tech support that you get on the phone have no idea what they are talking about regarding this.

Second question is about what's the purpose of this thing ?
Some ISPs require this to authenticate the customer.

I started upgrade after 6PM yesterday, it is past 10AM now, finally my RT-AC68U calmed down, CPU load for after-upgrade maintenace was close to 100% for more than 15 hours...
With my AC68U the nt_something process (which ate the CPU right after updating the fw) settled down after 20 minutes or so when I monitored it with htop. I have a very "light" setup though with only less than 10 devices connected. Maybe it affects the situation somehow. Don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!