What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know.

Someone else a few years ago posted the exact opposite here on SNBForums, where a phone support agent told him it wouldn't affect his warranty. Bottom line is: first level tech support that you get on the phone have no idea what they are talking about regarding this.

Some ISPs require this to authenticate the customer.

I don't know.

Someone else a few years ago posted the exact opposite here on SNBForums, where a phone support agent told him it wouldn't affect his warranty. Bottom line is: first level tech support that you get on the phone have no idea what they are talking about regarding this.

Some ISPs require this to authenticate the customer.
so it's kinda closed source buggy issue thing about node's country code with aimesh,so pity.I will stay outta this for now and wish fix by later as it works,great masterpiece 386.1.

Upgrade RT-AX88U & RT-AC3100 from V386.1 Beta5 to V386.1 Final via dirty firmware upgrade. 30+ devices (includes gaming, streaming, downloads, etc.) and all appears to be working for main AX88U & backup AC3100 routers. Postponing adding RT-AX58U with V386.1 Final into AiMesh 2.0, until Guest Network #01 issue is fixed, as Guest network is #01, and IOT devices is #02.

With my AC68U the nt_something process (which ate the CPU right after updating the fw) settled down after 20 minutes or so when I monitored it with htop. I have a very "light" setup though with only less than 10 devices connected. Maybe it affects the situation somehow. Don't know.
I don't have more than 10 devices as well, maybe because i had Media Server enabled and left SSD with movies connected to the router during and after upgrade?
process you mentioned is "nt_center". It was using CPU on my router as well along with "jffs_gcd_mtd4"

Same issue, my bandwidth is 600/600Mbs, got 550Mbs on my laptop directly connected thru RJ45 but from router's speedtest (same server/same OKLA test)) it only gives me 200-250Mbs.
This tool is useless if not showing the real bandwidth
It depends on your router cpu power! its also said in release notes

I use the RT-AX86U and have 500/40 connection

Attachments

• shot1.png
    shot1.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 145
Has anyone else got a problem with being able to tick the optimised for xbox settings in wireless? I can get the tick but as soon as I press apply the tick disappears, it’s both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Edit: Oops, forgot to mention its on an AC86U and i have not had any other issue!

Great work Merlin :)

Last edited:
Good to be back at Merlin's firmware. My upgrade from the latest Asus stock for AC86U and 2 x AC68U was smooth without any issues.

Many thanks Merlin for the hard and structured work to get us to this point.
Did you tried Time Schedule?

I don't have more than 10 devices as well, maybe because i had Media Server enabled and left SSD with movies connected to the router during and after upgrade?
process you mentioned is "nt_center". It was using CPU on my router as well along with "jffs_gcd_mtd4"
I have Media Server enabled too. But only 15 gigabytes (some 25 video files) of media. So the database must be very small and won't take too much time to rescan/refresh I think. And yes, the process must have been nt_center. Wasn't sure so called it nt_something.

A big thank you Merlin!
I have realy wated for this update! Finnaly I am able to unloose the power on my RT-AC 5300 second 5Ghz-2 band in mesh mode!:)
Great work and it works as it should do!

I had Asus tell me this about 2 years ago when i was having issues via phone support. They firmly stated use of any third party firmware 100% voids all warranty. I quickly hung up the phone and have never called for anything again.
This would be standard practice for any vendor why would you call their support line with a custom firmware asking for support? Common sense would dictate that you put on stock firmware then call for support.

Every time I measure with Ookla Internet speed test.
Nat and Firewall is restarted, is this really necessary?

Feb 1 17:45:01 BWDPI: force to flush flowcache entries
Feb 1 17:45:01 kernel: IDPfw: Exit IDPfw
Feb 1 17:45:01 kernel: mod epilog takes 0 jiffies
Feb 1 17:45:01 kernel: IDPfw: Exit IDPfw
Feb 1 17:45:01 kernel: Exit chrdev /dev/idpfw with major 191
Feb 1 17:45:01 kernel: Exit chrdev /dev/idp with major 190
Feb 1 17:45:01 BWDPI: rollback fc
Feb 1 17:45:01 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/nat-start
Feb 1 17:45:01 (nat-start): 30738 NAT-START: starting up
Feb 1 17:45:01 (nat-start): 30738 NAT-START: ending script
Feb 1 17:45:01 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/firewall-start (args: eth0)
@RMerlin

in the new firmware is there an option to set the wan paket overhead as i had this before ? and also set the correct codel ?

Hey guys just updated to new Mr. Merlin's FW on my RT-AX88u, everything seems fine. I do have one question on trhe Trend Micro tab. My speed test are ok when I have TM enabled 800 down 820 up, but if I disable TM I get 970 down 980 up.

So I am wondering what are the risk's of not having TM enabled, I have AV on my rigs and laptops so I would assume I should be ok.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

Other than that new fw works fine, did a hard reset and everything went well once I upgraded too new FW.

Thanks in advance.

I've been running 384.19 since it was release without issues on a RT-AC68U V2. Decided to try a 'dirty' upgrade to 386.1 but unfortunately 5 GHz wifi was very unstable after the upgrade. Connection dropped every few minutes.

Reloaded 384.19 and did a factory default reset (I.E. power on holding WPS button), restored jffs and config from backups and router running smoothly again.

I didn't have time to do a full reconfig on 386.1 but a 'dirty' upgrade was not successful for me.
I re-installed 386.1 and this time did a full factory default reset and reconfigure and 386.1 is running fine now with no wireless issues. So, I don't know what the issue was before but it was likely something specific to my setup. Thanks Merlin for your continuing contributions to the Asus community.

This would be standard practice for any vendor why would you call their support line with a custom firmware asking for support? Common sense would dictate that you put on stock firmware then call for support.

I was using stock firmware my phone support was going no ware so i mentioned i would try a 3rd party firmware and was told what i posted. End of story. Don't always assume anything because clearly you were wrong.

Some more details on this , in case it might affect any other users, or possibly might assist with guest network issues more generally...

Further testing here with my AC86U has shown that, with both Merlin 384.19 and Asus-WRT 3.0.0.4.386.41634 firmware, I can add guest networks to either the first or the second column and I can see other clients in the guest network. However, with Merlin 386.1, this only works if I add guest networks in the first column. If add a guest network to the second column with 386.1, guest client isolation is always present; i.e. I cannot see any other clients. AND, contrary to what I'd previously thought, this does not seem to depend on the 'Set AP isolated' setting in the Wireless -> Professional tab. So something seems to be a bit messed up here.

As mentioned earlier, I've been testing this on the 5GHz network only, as I don't have any guest clients on the 2.4GHz network.

I've left the router running 386.1 with the guest networks set up in the first column; fortunately I've not seeing any untoward log messages (yet) and all seems to be working OK.

And just to clarify my testing method, I'm using the Fing app on an Android mobile phone to scan for other devices, plus I'm also checking with the Google Home app to see whether any Chromecast devices are available.
Just to add (in case anyone is interested)...

I'm wondering if this issue is somehow tied to the implementation (in 386) of a separate subnet for the guest network in the first column, as discussed here? In any case, the isolation behavior was different between Asus-WRT 3.0.0.4.386.41634 and Merlin 386.1 in my testing. For me personally, I have a configuration that works in Merlin 386.1 (using the first guest network column); I'm just adding this comment for @RMerlin and others to see, given that the behaviour with 386.1 seems to be anomalous, from my test at least.

Dirty update at 23:40 behind the wifes back, that sounds wrong. She wanted me to delay until a weekend morning in case it went wrong and I killed the internet for Monday morning. All seems to be working as expected, all the old settings and addons all working. Let's hope I dont get a phonecall at work in the morning :)

Current Temperatures: 43 °C - 49 °C - 70 °C
This chills even the heart of an old Marine...and not much does!

Is there DNS over TLS on merlin firmware ? I dont install merlin because it voids warranty and is illegal in poland but those security features added are attractive. Is Asus planning to implement DOT any time soon?

I mean post here photo of your conversation with asus employee or dont spread missinformation. I asked 3 times and had 3 exact same answers that its illegal and voids warranty. @ASUSWRT_2020 could take a stance as well.
1. Regarding "illegality": Merlin's FW is NOT ILLEGAL in EU definitely. Even I never heard that it is "illegal" anywhere around the Globe.
2. Regarding warranty void: Whatever the Asus representative has told you, the warranty shall not void, because there are at least two EU Directives protecting consumers that provide for this matter. This an old story started mainly because of custom ROMs flashed to mobile phones and devices, but it extends to any digital consumer device.

So that mean the Asus (first level?) support you contacted either does not know about that or has been instructed to provide this answer in order do "threaten"consumers. If you escalate your question to higher level support I bet you will receive different answer. You may also contact the Protection of Consumer Rights Authority in Poland and ask if the Asus statement violates the EU consumer protection legislation.

You may also read this post with legal analysis.

Last edited:
BUG/GLITCH REPORT:
AC86 - the LEDs on my router aren't lighting up, except 5GHz wifi. Router seems to be working normally. Unbound cache hit graph is showing much lower than usual (I'll have to check with @Martineau if something needs changing in the .conf), ntpMerlin drift seems to have shot up (again a .conf thing for @Jack Yaz ).
LEDs- something in my memory banks is vibrating about the scheduler being part of amtm or diversion...maybe I should've looked there before coming here...
standby, I'll be back with an update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!