What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you read the 2nd posting for the open issues/hints?
Especially this line would be helpful for you
  • Webui very slow or unreachable after upgrading (this is normal as the router is doing database maintenance, just give it time, can take 5-60 mins depending on the router model)
Thanks Joe, yes I know that.
Everytime I did the update, I left my browser untouched for about 10 minutes before try to check configuration.
Next attempt I'll let untouched for more time.
The main point for me is that doesn't happens if I format Jffs partiton. If clear, even if enabled, router starts fine, but after a jffs restore there's no way to use WebUI even after a couple of hrs, even if the router hw works fine both with LAN and wireless.

Last edited:
Thanks for the hard work! I see in the release notes that there was a change to Adaptive QOS. Can anyone confirm that it works properly now? My daughter kept getting bumped off class Zoom calls every few minutes and many point to Adaptive QOS (possibly in conjunction with Trend Micro enabled). If I stick with Tradtitional QOS, which service needs to be prioritized for Zoom/Skype/wfh? I don't see VOIP as an option in traditional. Is it the one that says webcam? THANKS!!

Why Asus Instant Guard and IPSEC Server cant work?

At my iphone said "The VPN server did not respond".

DSC_04968.jpg

Is it because of Skynet or any other script?

How many people are running this on an RT-AC86U without any issues?

This setting (LED on / off button) does not exist on my AX58U even after a WPS reset (yes, the browser cache is cleared).
Thanks @somms for providing the picture! :D

View attachment 30149

View attachment 30150

Switching on and off via ssh still works of course (but it is not so convenient).

Code:
nvram set led_disable=1
service restart_leds

Thanks for looking ... :)
Not sure if anyone has answered this already (couldn't see a reply), but on my AC86U, the LED on/off setting is in the Administration -> System tab...

Attachments

• LEDs.PNG
    LEDs.PNG
    31.4 KB · Views: 161
386.1 is not entirely without issues, but runs nice on my AC2900.
Only things i notice:
- A raise in CPU temp of 5-10 degr. C compared to 384.19
- A little more CPU activity even when "at rest", but obvious when downloading through VPN connection.
- Clients on Guest networks 1 on both 2,4 and 5 GHz can not connect to the internet
- After a PC hibernation while being logged in the Web UI, the UI becomes partly unresponsive (maybe due to browser cache)

Last edited:
Did you clear your browser cache? New GUI of the router in 386.1 may be confused with cached old version...?
Thanks @joegreat . Yes I did but still not working. This is happening in Chrome, but just checked in the same machine with firefox and worked, so if this is happening only to me, maybe is something related to my machine..

Not sure if anyone has answered this already (couldn't see a reply), but on my AC86U, the LED on/off setting is in the Administration -> System tab...
Thanks ... but the setting for the AiMesh node is meant. The setting you showed is for the router itself, which is of course also available for me. Anyway, thanks for the answer!

Quite possibly a silly error on my part here (upgrading late at night, on flu medication :/) went from 384.19 to 386.1, left JFFS USB in place - forgot to remove it prior to flashing - was using it for SNMP.. do I need to redo it now?

Also, I note that database maintenance etc happens on first boot after flash, wifi took upwards of 15 minutes to re-enable after rebooting manually as prompted. Is this part of the maintenance or has something potentially gone awry with my upgrade?

Thanks!

I've had 4 router crashes in the last 48 hours, prior to that I can't remember the last time the router crashed. This is the least stable version of Merlin I've ever used on mine and I'm probably gong to have to revert.

Folks... forgive me dumb question - is there any way to login to the node router?
I was able to upgrade my node FW to 386.1, and I did have to login at that point, but I have no access to the node. When I do 192.168.xx.116 (the actual node IP address), I do get login page. I enter my user name/password, and it "magically" re-routes me to 192.1.168.xx.yy (main router IP address)

What you're explaining is expected behavior for logging into the router/nodes. That being said, you can still access the nodes with some commands via ssh. If you login to the appropriate node via ssh and enter the command 'nvram set re_mode=0' . This will allow you to login to the respective node using the direct IP address and check on various configurations. Once you are completed looking at these settings (and I want to signify the importance of only 'looking'), run the command 'nvram set re_mode=1' to close remote access to the node.

A caveat of all of this is that when you set the re_mode to 0, you could make some changes to nvram during your browsing of the node GUI interface. You should ensure that you make NO changes to the interface while in the GUI as this could break functionality of the node if you happen to save/apply those changes. So, with that, use carefully and accordingly. I really only use this to check the Wireless log to see the strength of various connections at my nodes, but again be VERY careful using this method.

I'm just relaying some information I've gathered through reading the forums so use with caution regardless!

I did a dirty flash last night and whiles the router worked fine for 45min or so after leaving it overnight in the morning the router was doing constant reboots with approximately 30 seconds in between reboots. I had to revert back to 384.19 and everything is back to normal.

RT-AC68U
Dirty update from 384.19, went fine.
No GUI, of course, but I did it before bed so I left it overnight doing its thing.
In the morning was working normally including the GUI.
Then I changed 1 setting (port forwarding) and hung.
I needed to do a hard reset and came back OK.
At this point I backed up the settings.
1 hour later I was just reading a forum and I lost it again.
This time was a lot harder to reset, when finally came to its senses I was greeted with a
screen offering me 2 choices : a) start from scratch b) restore the settings.
I never saw that screen before. It is new?
Bottom line I restored the settings I saved before, working fine since (24hours).
1 reboot just in case.
Temperature is down 1-2 degrees, I have active cooling and I get :
2.4 GHz: 42°C - 5 GHz: 45°C - CPU: 58°C
Speed test is a lot slower than my PC, but is expected. Not enough power
in the router.
So everything is peachy.
Is that welcome screen after reset brand new?
Great job Rmerlin

When the AiMesh icon disappears or doesn't show up, I've found that logging off/on with the main router would make it show again. I'm not sure if it's a timeout issue between routers or not. I only had that issue with beta5 but have yet to get it with the release.

'instant guard app says that my router is not compatible'

Would be my first hint. :)
Agreed...however, in the app, when I get prompted to "click here" for compatible routers, my ac3100 is listed as a compatible router.

Must be some setting i am missing...

If anyone has an ac3100, and they can get it working, please post on how you got it to work...

Thanks!

No issues for me (48 hours in), slight temperature increase (3 degrees or so). I did a full reset (including NVRAM) after installation, and also reinstalled Diversion, Skynet, Scribe, Conmon, and the Speedtest add-on. Running adaptive QoS and an IPSec VPN server, which are both working fine too.

Done a dirty upgrade from 384.19 to 386.1 (stable to stable)
All seems working fine, it take 2:30 hours for the interface to be reachable
Temperature went up from 77C to 82C

Bash:
wl country
DE (EU/13) GERMANY
# nvram show | grep location
location_code=
Location code is empty for me... emmm ?

For me as well, so I'd expect it is not an issue.

Code:
wl country
US (US/741) UNITED STATES
nvram show | grep location
size: 73570 bytes (57502 left)
location_code=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!