What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I upgraded from .18 to 386.1 on an AC86U. I've had no issues other than having to re-install some scripts as they were non functional after the upgrade (spdMerlin and Diversion). A simple re-install fixed that.

You will need to do a reset of the router after flashing 386.1 as the router credentials are encrypted as of 384.19. Also don't forget to format the jffs after your install.

Thank you, yeah I was planning to do a reset.

So is this the correct order:

install firmware
reset
basic setup
format jffs at next reboot

Does it matter when I adjust any settings to when I do the jffs format? I don't run any scripts, have a very basic setup here.

Thanks again

It
Hi Eric, wouldn't it be appropriate to add also the other known and reported here bugs of this release (even if being more of a GPL thing and also existing in the official firmwares) ?

- Regression : Spikes in traffic monitor stats
- Phantom devices in network map
- Unstable 2.4Ghz band on RT-AX88U when channel bandwidth is set to 40Mhz

My rational is that having those at least mentioned in the 'known bugs' section would allow many users not to spend time with those issues, and for the rest save time in repeating that those are already known.
Its doesn't matter how much you wrote, folks can't read. They cant even read sticky posts.

How close to the router is your iPad or iPhone when the dropouts occur?
With the 386 release from ASUS, it looks like the region on the router is not changing from the default of US which has the maximum power available to be less on the lower 5Ghz channels.
If you SSH to your router and issue the following command, it will tell you the max power for each available channel.

wl -i eth2 chanspec_txpwr_max

Output:
36 (0xd024) 18.00(dbm)
40 (0xd028) 18.00(dbm)
44 (0xd02c) 18.00(dbm)
48 (0xd030) 18.00(dbm)
149 (0xd095) 25.50(dbm)
153 (0xd099) 25.50(dbm)
157 (0xd09d) 25.50(dbm)
161 (0xd0a1) 25.50(dbm)
165 (0xd0a5) 25.50(dbm)

The following command will tell you the region it is currently on:
wl -i eth2 country

By default it is on:
US (US/0) UNITED STATES

If I issue the following to change it to Australia:
wl -i eth2 country AU

I now get the following but it resets back to US if I restart the router.

36 (0xd024) 21.00(dbm)
40 (0xd028) 21.00(dbm)
44 (0xd02c) 21.00(dbm)
48 (0xd030) 21.00(dbm)
52 (0xd034) 21.00(dbm)
56 (0xd038) 21.00(dbm)
60 (0xd03c) 21.00(dbm)
64 (0xd040) 21.00(dbm)
100 (0xd064) 21.00(dbm)
104 (0xd068) 21.00(dbm)
108 (0xd06c) 21.00(dbm)
112 (0xd070) 21.00(dbm)
116 (0xd074) 21.00(dbm)
132 (0xd084) 21.00(dbm)
136 (0xd088) 21.00(dbm)
140 (0xd08c) 21.00(dbm)
144 (0xd090) 21.00(dbm)
149 (0xd095) 21.00(dbm)
153 (0xd099) 21.00(dbm)
157 (0xd09d) 21.00(dbm)
161 (0xd0a1) 21.00(dbm)
165 (0xd0a5) 21.00(dbm)

Interesting. My ax88u is showing ‘US’ for wl country.
But I’m in AU.:oops:

Hi guys, i recently updated to 386.1 but since i cant load the WebUI(http and https) nor connect via SSH , both options says: "connection refused".

All my past configs and WAN connection are good, i just cant acess the router admin. Any clue?!

RT-AC68U

1612527395493.png

WiFi Radar not showing 5Ghz neighbours, only the Ac86u 5Ghz is listed. Errors in code.

Thank you, yeah I was planning to do a reset.

So is this the correct order:

install firmware
reset
basic setup
format jffs at next reboot

Does it matter when I adjust any settings to when I do the jffs format? I don't run any scripts, have a very basic setup here.

Thanks again

I think the nvram and jffs are separate mount points (as my basic setup was not destroyed by the jffs format), but I am by no means sure. I would format the jffs off the hop to be certain. Some have reported success without having to reformat the jffs (Asus adjusted the jffs size in .19), but if you want to be sure of trouble free operation, format it.

Today I make dirty upgrades on my router RT-AC66U B1 to the latest firmware(386.1).Everything passed in about 3 minutes. No problems with entering in GUI, no problems with JFFS. My temperature increased by only 2 degrees. I don't have active cooling. Thanks to Merlin and all the authors of the great supplements.

Oh Boy... So my aging RT-AC68U will get Instant Guard after-all !!! But Now, I have to wait... Dammit. Thanks RMerlin LOL
I saw the change log for alpha 386.2 and realized I can stop waiting. There will NEVER be Instant Guard for the RT-AC68U will there? Unless Asus decided to release it, right?

I was using the stock firmware for the AC86U and AC3100. I started having flakiness so I upgraded to 386.1. My radios on my AC86U were unstable after upgrading for 24 hrs and clients were sluggish and wouldn't open apps sometimes. I did a dirty install but eventually factory reset it too. Still the same thing occurred. I went back to 386.1 Beta 2. It worked well for me. I just miss the working traffic analyzer. Thinking of going to 384.19. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I think the nvram and jffs are separate mount points (as my basic setup was not destroyed by the jffs format), but I am by no means sure. I would format the jffs off the hop to be certain. Some have reported success without having to reformat the jffs (Asus adjusted the jffs size in .19), but if you want to be sure of trouble free operation, format it.
I will format after the basic initial setup then and then setup the rest of the settings after.

Hi guys, i recently updated to 386.1 but since i cant load the WebUI(http and https) nor connect via SSH , both options says: "connection refused".

All my past configs and WAN connection are good, i just cant acess the router admin. Any clue?!

RT-AC68U
When did you flash the updated Firmware? Also did you read the changelog?

I was using the stock firmware for the AC86U and AC3100. I started having flakiness so I upgraded to 386.1. My radios on my AC86U were unstable after upgrading for 24 hrs and clients were sluggish and wouldn't open apps sometimes. I did a dirty install but eventually factory reset it too. Still the same thing occurred. I went back to 386.1 Beta 2. It worked well for me. I just miss the working traffic analyzer. Thinking of going to 384.19. Any thoughts?
I did a clean install. With WPS reset and jffs reset too. Idk why , but my 2.4ghz keeps being flaky all the times... After a few hours. My IoT devices on guest network 2 (i don't use guest 1 since it's a known issue) is dropping in and out and the link rate is all ??/?? . The normal main network seems fine until you tried to use it. You can't connect to 2.4ghz and the connected clients can't even go to 192.168.1.1 ... Tho after 10 mins or so when it goes normal . Everything went fine again. And it'll happen again for sometimes later. Tried wps reset it again. And same deal. So I just reinstalled 384.19 now and Im trying to check if it happens here too. Since this didn't happen before 386.1 . If it doesn't do that on 384.19, then there's something wrong with the 386.1 atleast in AC86U ...

To the last couple of pages of new members, welcome to all, and please see the link below.

The firmware you want to use needs to be flashed first to the router.

Then a full reset to factory defaults is performed.

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

Afterward, this is considered a 'clean install' and not a dirty upgrade (from whichever firmware you started off from).

Going from stock to RMerlin firmware or vice versa, the above is highly recommended when you have any issues out of the ordinary and a quick search doesn't find any remedies.

By default it is on:
US (US/0) UNITED STATES
Anyway, a bit out of topic, how do router works to define this location setting/rules? I mean, I'm not living in US, but it used US settings for it's wireless.

Hey @RMerlin why would my LAN MAC address be all zeros, as reported by network map page and, the new AIMesh page. They both show my AX88U with no mac address just zeros. Could this be affecting my ability to connect to my AC68U through the AIMesh search for node feature? My AC68U access point has a lan mac address, and is visible in the above mentioned places, also with 386.1. How would one fix this issue? I have reset to defaults and setup again from screen shots three times now. Doesn't seem to make a difference to this issue. As far as AIMesh goes I never got connected no matter what I tried.

Last edited:
I did a clean install. With WPS reset and jffs reset too. Idk why , but my 2.4ghz keeps being flaky all the times... After a few hours. My IoT devices on guest network 2 (i don't use guest 1 since it's a known issue) is dropping in and out and the link rate is all ??/?? . The normal main network seems fine until you tried to use it. You can't connect to 2.4ghz and the connected clients can't even go to 192.168.1.1 ... Tho after 10 mins or so when it goes normal . Everything went fine again. And it'll happen again for sometimes later. Tried wps reset it again. And same deal. So I just reinstalled 384.19 now and Im trying to check if it happens here too. Since this didn't happen before 386.1 . If it doesn't do that on 384.19, then there's something wrong with the 386.1 atleast in AC86U ...

Is it easy to downgrade, is the process exactly the same as installing new firmware?

I need 2.4ghz to be stable for some of my devices so if I get same issue I will need to downgrade.

Anyone experience problems in VPN if I have 2 ou more OpenVPNClients ON all traffic goes to SAME vpn server!
ISP: Fiber 500Mbps
AX88U: Wireless router - 386.1 : Diversion + skynet behind ISP router - Local IP
Subscribed Vpn: Surf Shark (suport varius vpnserver to same client)

OPENVPNCLIENT1->TV
OPENVPNCLIENT2-> Smartphone
Force Internet traffic through tunnel Policy Rules (Strict)
Block routed clients if tunnel goes down YES

OpenVPNClient1 - Public IP 91.205.230.141 Local IP 10.8.8.6
OpenVPNClient2 - Public IP 66.115.166.148 Local IP 10.8.8.3

My solution:
changing the server protocol of VPNClient2 has it changed de port of server! it works
OpenVPNClient1 UDP port 11xx
OpenVPNClient1 TCP port 14xx

SpeedTest
RJ45
TV + VPN1 .PT - 70Mbps
Notebook i7 2gen NOVPN - 474Mbps

Wifi 5Ghz - far from router
Galaxy S5 + VPN2 .US - 9Mbps
Galaxy A70 NOVPN - 120Mbps

Not Bad 2 VPN Clients 4 devices testing at sometime, what do you think?

1 QUESTION HOW COME SOME USER HAVE MORE THAN 2?
change server port or port forward to another port i think

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!