What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Geraner what, if any, troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

@Geraner what, if any, troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?
Rebooted the router and the Chromecast several times. Didn't help.
Moved now back to 386.1_beta4. Restarting the Chromecast, and everything is working again.
Will continue testing more with beta5+ 386.1 release during the day and report back later.

Rebooted the router and the Chromecast several times. Didn't help.
Moved now back to 386.1_beta4. Restarting the Chromecast, and everything is working again.
Will continue testing more with beta5+ 386.1 release during the day and report back later.
Moving furth and back Beta.4 to Beta5, and 386.1 release and now the ChromeCast is working normally also with 386.1 release. - Strange, but now it works.

Question regarding upgrade to 386.1 from the latest Beta fw for the ac86u:
ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 9.0.0.4.386.41994 (Beta Version)
Security Fixed:
Fixed CVE-2020-25681, CVE-2020-25682, CVE-2020-25683, CVE-2020-25687, CVE-2020-25684, CVE-2020-25685, CVE-2020-25686

386.1 notes state: Merged with GPL 386_41700

Clearly the 41994 is newer, but are the CVE's already fixed in 386.1. Eric is ahead of the game in many ways, are these CVE's patches/unpatched or not relevant anyway? Would you be going backwards if you upgrade from .41994 to 386.1? Going backwards, meaning strictly from fw point of view, not features, etc.

Make sure you religiously copy the OVPN file to the correct folder \program files\OpenVPN\Config if using 11.20.00 or import profile when using OVPN Connect. Make sure you dont have extraneous OVPN files from older configs lying around your directory structure or import the correct profile when using Openvpn Connect.

Thanks Joe for your very detailed post, yes I use only LAN cause I need just to connect to an USB HDD connected to the router from outside, and WAN IP is correct cause router is connected to a modem that doesn't support bridge, so I'm using DMZ from modem to router. All works fine, all services running on asus are available from outside, it's also ok from forwarding to a PC inside my LAN.
I'll modify my VPN server configuration follow your indication for better security, but the main question is:
Why If I export client1.ovpn using firmware 384.19 it works at first attempt, and exporting using 386.1 it doesn't connect? Same server configuration
and same Win 10 OpenVPN-2.5.0-I601-amd64 (OpenVPN community project) client?
Same problem using OpenVPN app on an Android phone.
Thanks again for your help, I suppose I'll start a new dedicated topic after my next attempt to avoid confusion on the main 386.1 thread.

Hi

Today I updated from 384.18 to 386.1 on my AC86U, I did a hard reset and also cleared the JFFS partition at next reboot.

Issue:

I have a caution alert that say my router is running low on free JFFS storage.

Is this a bug?

Im not using my router for anything special, its just a basic setup, no scripts or anything.

Were the offline clients using Guest network 1?
No -= i do not have the guest network setup at all. They are all 2.4 units that fail.
I did another full restore to defaults early this am and same problem remains. It is now on 384.19 which was working just fine . After the restore it comes up with create a new network, I insert a name and password as required into the 2.4 and 5 networks and also the main router login. I touched nothing else.

Question regarding upgrade to 386.1 from the latest Beta fw for the ac86u:
ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 9.0.0.4.386.41994 (Beta Version)
Security Fixed:
Fixed CVE-2020-25681, CVE-2020-25682, CVE-2020-25683, CVE-2020-25687, CVE-2020-25684, CVE-2020-25685, CVE-2020-25686

386.1 notes state: Merged with GPL 386_41700

Clearly the 41994 is newer, but are the CVE's already fixed in 386.1. Eric is ahead of the game in many ways, are these CVE's patches/unpatched or not relevant anyway? Would you be going backwards if you upgrade from .41994 to 386.1? Going backwards, meaning strictly from fw point of view, not features, etc.
NM, found the answer in the changelog link https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/changelog

- UPDATED: dnsmasq to 2.84, resolving CVE-2020-25681,
CVE-2020-25682, CVE-2020-25683, CVE-2020-25687,
CVE-2020-25684, CVE-2020-25685 and
CVE-2020-25686 aka DNSpooq (themiron)

Ok sorted the issue of JFFS nearly full alert as I posted above.

I did another reset, this time via the GUI, checking initialise all settings. All fine now.

Originally I had done hard reset at the router.

Yeah it's just like when you do a clean install. Just install the 384.19, after it rebooted. Make sure it is now 384.19 if it is. I recommend to just go straight to wps reset. Since it apparently wipes the jffs too ... I do not reset since i already have a working 384.19 backup before going to 386 . So I just went to 384.19 and then restored both jffs and the backed up configuration..

The only thing I hate about 384.19 atleast in my AC86U is that it seems like there's a memory leak. Seems like it's from trend micro stuff but idk. I can see it go up in ram usage per hour and yeah I can see it pushing to swap usage after a day or two. And I don't use much addons. It's fixed on 386 though since I've run it for 2 days and the ram usage is consistent there. But yeah let me know if you experienced 2.4ghz problems as well. So far 4 and a half hour on 384.19 and 2.4ghz is still going strong. Will check it regularly to see if it happens here or not. I'd assume not

Updated, I will now see how 2.4ghz is over the next few days, I currently have left a few things disabled that I normally run, such as Ai protection and a guest network, I will gradually introduce them.

Is there anywhere on the router that I can view, to be able to tell if 2.4ghz has dropped, as I'm not always using the devices that require 2.4ghz so might not notice.

Also have set the 2.4ghz to 20hz and set a channel, 6 in my case.

I have also gone into the 2.4ghz wireless professional tab and disabled all the beamforming check boxes. These are things that have been advised to do on these very forums for stable wifi.

I also have 2.4ghz clients (Shelly) dropping off with 386 but it could well be a bug with the latest Shelly FW.
The thing is, it's dropping those things on guest network 2 or 3 and when it's happening, my 2.4ghz is basically broken. Can't join and the clients connected to it can't access anything. It can't even ping the router.. until it's done doing it's thing..

Seems fine on 348.19 tho. Monitored it for 24 hours. Doesn't drop any of my clients on 2.4ghz

Updated, I will now see how 2.4ghz is over the next few days, I currently have left a few things disabled that I normally run, such as Ai protection and a guest network, I will gradually introduce them.

Is there anywhere on the router that I can view, to be able to tell if 2.4ghz has dropped, as I'm not always using the devices that require 2.4ghz so might not notice.

Also have set the 2.4ghz to 20hz and set a channel, 6 in my case.

I have also gone into the 2.4ghz wireless professional tab and disabled all the beamforming check boxes. These are things that have been advised to do on these very forums for stable wifi.
Go to the System log tab. There find the Wireless log subtab. There you can monitor it if it disconnects or not..

Someone mentioned a screenshot you could copy information from. I think it was @L&LD, can you give me some more information about it please sir?

The thing is, it's dropping those things on guest network 2 or 3 and when it's happening, my 2.4ghz is basically broken. Can't join and the clients connected to it can't access anything. It can't even ping the router.. until it's done doing it's thing..

Seems fine on 348.19 tho. Monitored it for 24 hours. Doesn't drop any of my clients on 2.4ghz

I went back to 386.1 beta 2. No problems at all. It runs great. Both radios working fine. Its snappy when I open a browser. Kids not complaining. I'm thinking of at least moving to beta 5 but I don't want to ruin a good thing. I would go to 384.19 but I love the Aimesh 2.0 interface.

Last edited:
Hello,
thanks Merlin for this firmware.

I have a stupid question but I ask anyway.
Got some problems upgrading my RT-AX86U to 386.1_0 (from 384.18_0) but after many factory reset all is ok now.

May I restore a 384.18_cfg backup on 386.1_0 to avoid all manual adjustments ?? Not sure its a good idea.

Thanks for replies

I went back to 386.1 beta 2. No problems at all. It runs great. Both radios working fine. Its snappy when I open a browser. Kids not complaining. I'm thinking of at least moving to beta 5 but I don't want to ruin a good thing. I would go to 384.19 but I love the Aimesh 2.0 interface.
Ah I see. I'm still puzzled on why it's happening on my AC86U when I'm on 386 ... And just checked again and it's still fine. Almost 24 hours without any dc etc. Weird huh

Been running 386.1 (via dirty upgrade) on my AC86U for 6 days now. All seems well except the Traffic Classification pie chart not showing up and "Initialinzing the settings of OpenVPN server now, please wait a few minutes to let the server to setup completed before VPN clients establish the connection" for OpenVPN server1 being displayed:
openvpn_issue.PNG

I also experienced this issue on 384.19 where I performed a full wipe to see if that made a difference to no avail.

Last edited:
Use Firefox browser, navigate to the page/pages you want to save then hit Control-S. It saves all the page you are looking at, not just what is visible on the screen. As a bonus you can cut and paste from the saved pages.

I know it works as I have just done it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!