What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty upgraded from 384.19 a few hours ago. No issues so far. It was super-dirty upgrade, because I forgot to unmount USB stick :) Thank you @RMerlin !

386.1 Quick and easy upgrade. (I don’t have router bloat). No issues. Stable.

Usual limitations exist with a dual LB WAN config:

No traffic statistic monitoring features.
Cannot select the 2nd WAN interface for Speedtest.

IPSEC server great! Cannot select WAN interface. (Primary WAN recognised only).

OpenVPN client. Can use the secondary WAN gateway for the tunnel interface if a static route is created.

WiFi: Still no 802.11i implementation. Cipher-block chaining message authentication protocol (CCMP). Basically all consumer WAPs are doing this now. ASUS is way behind the ball here.

No WPA3-802.1x option.

WiFi Insights monitoring: Still no AX representation and the bandwidth is wrong when 160mhz is used for the WAP.

Last edited:
WiFi: Still no 802.11i implementation. Cipher-block chaining message authentication proocol (CCMP). Basically all consumer WAPs are doing this now. ASUS is way behind the ball here.

No WPA3-802.1x option.

WiFi Insights monitoring: Still no AX representation and the bandwidth is wrong when 160mhz is used for the WAP.

May be because it is not high enough on Asus do list

their are lots of thing Asus are behind

One of my clients is having trouble staying connected to Guest network 2. This is after a full factory reset and reconfiguration.

It's the only client on that Guest network, so I'm not sure if its the WiFi driver or Asuswrt. The clients on guest network 3 seem fine (all IoT devices). When I reconfigure the network, the triggered restart of the all wifi networks seems to fix it until the next router reboot.

One oddity I did notice is that when I change its configuration, the help screen presenting you with the SSID and passphrase shows you the information about the main network, not the guest network. This doesn't happen with Guest network 3, which shows you the information about guest network 3.

It does sound like an Asus bug, so I'm afraid we have to wait until the next GPL release.

Unable to update my AX88U from 384.19 to 386.1. It seems to complete the update normally and gives a message asking to reboot manually. After the reboot the router is basically dead, LED's are on and white except the WAN led which is red. However no WiFi is being emitted and the router does not have a default gateway if connected to a PC via ethernet cable. Strangely as well, the LED lights are completely constant, and not sparkling like usual. Reverting back to 384.19 works.

Any advice or should I try factory resetting the router before trying to update?
Your experience with the upgrade seems familiar with mine. Your jffs partition is not mounted at this point. You can check for sure by logging in the Webgui go to tools/internal storage. Is jffs mounted? If that's the case try to reboot the router and be patient to wait for few minutes, if that didn't work then try a factory reset by pressing the wps button then powering it up then releasing the wps after about ten seconds and again wait patiently for the router to recover.
There were few nvram commands RMerlin posted in another thread for a 68U, I'm not sure if it's applicable to yours that's why I'm not recommending it. Try the above first.

Updated my RT-AX88U with Skynet installed from AMTM.

Removed the USB disk, installed update and rebooted. Let it sit for 15 minutes or so and rebooted again. USB back in and working just fine.

Could just be that I don’t reboot my router but the interface seems snappier now.

Only (non) issue to report. I don’t run my radios on my AX88U and it appears the message “Your WI-FI radio is currently disabled” bumps the text and icons down. And gets cut off. See attached image.

Tested in Firefox, Chome, Edge and even whatever version of IE is installed. All the same. Cache flush did nothing.

Not an issue for me one bit... just wanted to mention it.

Thanks

EDIT: this may not be a Merlin issue. But its new to me.

merlin3861.jpg

@RMerlin I'm suffering some dosconnections on WiFi and I'm seeing this flooding my syslog. Are they related?

Feb 5 22:40:56 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(507): eth2: Disassoc 9C:8C:6E:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0

Feb 5 22:40:56 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth2: Auth 9C:8C:6E:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0

Feb 5 22:40:56 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(555): eth2: Assoc 9C:8C:6E:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0

(with each device connected to Wifi)

Yes,
@scottegos2, first you flashed the firmware you want to use/test. Then you did a full WPS reset, correct?
after the initial upgrade crapped out, I used the emergency flash to restore last year's firmware, then did a factory reset, then manually entered stuff in. My most recent crash was tonight when I was trying to add a new AIMesh Lyra node that I jsut got today. The operation worked, but the ac5300 crashed. It *seems* like the crashes are only happening when I'm in the UI trying to do something (anything, really). (I should mention that I had zero WPS clients at this point.)

@RMerlin I'm suffering some dosconnections on WiFi and I'm seeing this flooding my syslog. Are they related?

Feb 5 22:40:56 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(507): eth2: Disassoc 9C:8C:6E:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0

Feb 5 22:40:56 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth2: Auth 9C:8C:6E:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0

Feb 5 22:40:56 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(555): eth2: Assoc 9C:8C:6E:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0

(with each device connected to Wifi)

Wifi is Closed Source Asus and Broadcom are the only one's that can fix it

Did a dirty upgrade to 386.1 on a RT-AX88U. Running into an issue -

I'm connected to the main wifi, 5GHz. I'm unable to connect to ethernet devices directly (SMB) or ping them. I get destination unreachable. The ethernet device is unable to connect/ping wifi devices. I can ping other wifi devices. Both connect fine to internet/router/etc.
Anything I can check?

RT-AC5300 Router and RT-AC5300 node with 45-50 clients - up with no issues for 4 days.
Just added scripts
Thanks again @RMerlin

Wifi Keeps dropping when i make config changes via the web interface or app
Known issues:
  • Lots of syslog errors when using Guest Network 1 on the RT-AX86U or RT-AX88U - use Guest Network 2 instead if you don't need sharing with other AiMesh nodes (issue within Asus's code, same issue also exists in stock firmware and will have to be resolved by them)
  • Some users may experience issues upgrading their RT-AC68U (rare/random, also occurs with stock firmware. Asus recommends doing a factory default reset, however using Firmware Recovery Tool might also work)
  • Sometimes Adaptive QoS rules aren't created at boot time on the RT-AC88U (and possibly AC300/AC5300) (same issue with stock firmware, try just re-applying your QoS settings to force it to restart)
  • Webui very slow or unreachable after upgrading (this is normal as the router is doing database maintenance, just give it time, can take 5-60 mins depending on the router model)
  • Missing Instant Guard on some models (build profile out of sync with upstream, fixed for next release)
  • 160 MHz sometimes available but non-working on RT-AC88U (build profile out of sync with upstream, fixed for next release. Note that this option is only available to certain RT-AC88U SKUs and is either region or revision specific.)
  • Missing Game Mode options on some models (build profile out of sync with upstream, fixed for next release)
Thanks Merlin for all your work.
I updated to 386.1 on the RTAX86U, and set up the main network and guest network 1 both 2.4 and 5ghz( before reading your comments above)
Here's what i noticed so far. It works well until i have to change any configuration setting (either through the web or routerapp interface), then all my devices disconnect and reconnect, every single time.
Configuration changes include: DNS filtering on a Macbook conncted to the primary 5ghz network, Time scheduling via the router app for an ipad conncted to the main 5ghz network, Setting up Guest network 3 via the web interface, Setting up port forwarding on a laptop connected to guest network one 2.4ghz among others.
Each time, all devices loose network connection, all the wifi networks disappear and then reappear and devices reconnect after a few minutes. Given thats its a new router, I'm still making lots of changes so you can only imagine my frustration.

I'm going to turn off guest network one as recommended but just asking, is this related to the error logs you talked about or could this be caused by something else? Would be quite a surprise if this is expected behaviour as something like time scheduling changes should not turn off the entire wifi network.

Any help would be appreciated

The MTU size on WAN page is 1492, which is correct setting for my ISP. I tried to change it to 1500 or 1470, but that had no effect on the reduced 130 - 140 Mbps VPN speed.
It's ok, the important thing to check is that it wasn't set to 576 or 0.

sorry you’re right I was a little confused, this is a RT-AX56U
So may I restore a 384.18_cfg backup on 386.1_0 ??

Thanks for help
In theory it should be fine, but I never tested it, so you're on your own. If it causes weird wifi issues, then you might have to go back to a factory default reset and manual reconfiguration.

Minor problem. After RT-AC68U Factory reset and upgrade to 386.1, the site survey doesn't work the same as 384.19.
JS error happening when trying to access the vendor name for the AP, maybe Asus changed something in the data structure.

Only (non) issue to report. I don’t run my radios on my AX88U and it appears the message “Your WI-FI radio is currently disabled” bumps the text and icons down. And gets cut off. See attached image.
It's something they recently added. I suspect they are still polishing it, as it currently looks a bit out of place the way it's implemented.

In theory it should be fine, but I never tested it, so you're on your own. If it causes weird wifi issues, then you might have to go back to a factory default reset and manual reconfiguration.
thanks for helping I will try and I will give the results back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!