What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RT-AX88U: This is just an observation on 386.1_2 coming from the 384 codebase.

Relevant pre-upgrade configuration:
  • I have a 2.4/5ghz network and then a guest 5 ghz network.
  • I don't use the router for DHCP, clients get their IP address from a pi-hole server.
  • Guest network *not* allowed access to Intranet
  • The guest network was just using static IP addresses for now (based on the current IP scheme for the internal network).

Post upgrade:
  • The internal network works fine and appears to be getting IP addy's from the PiHole server (validated the Router doesn't have DHCP enabled)
  • Noticed guest network lost Internet connectivity. After disabling/re-enabling the guest radio, etc. I finally change the IP address on clients to be dynamic.
    • The guests started getting 192.x.x.x IP addresses. I'm assuming from the router, but the router has DHCP *disabled* and it's not using the IP address space or subnet I previously used on the router.

I still have more troubleshooting to perform, and I'll probably end up doing a factory reset, but this seems relatively curious.

I'm not an expert in this and haven't played around with guest networks on 386.x builds yet, but from reading other posts on here, Asus changed the way Guest Network 1 works in AiMesh 2.0 (386.x) and it now uses a different subnet, which it doesn't do in AiMesh 1.0 (384.x).

I've seen this frequently for quite a while. Just have another tab open in browser, close the Merlin tab and open a new tab to the router. The GUI will open completely and you will also not need to log back in (as long as you have another tab open so that your browser doesn't close). It is easy to solve, and happens randomly (and seems to only happen when Ibhave not gone into GUI for a long time) so it is very hard to diagnose.
Thanks. I'll try to remember that next time.

You need to do a factory default reset after coming off an alpha build. There were various known issues with the alpha builds that will carry over if you don`t do so, such as an incorrect MTU value.
I just did a factory default reset for alpha. It is really not that bad, except for the Manually Assigned IP DHCP list. Is there any way to load that someway without typing in each by hand?

I just did a factory default reset for alpha. It is really not that bad, except for the Manually Assigned IP DHCP list. Is there any way to load that someway without typing in each by hand?

You can plug a USB stick into the router and export the manually assigned IP list, as well as other lists like this, as a text file via SSH and then do the same to import it.

Like this utility? :)

Like this utility? :)
"The script is only compatible with 384.13 "

or is that incorrect?

Thanks, What is the easiest way to actually do that? Is there any way to automate it?

I've never used the full config save/restore utility and just use some of the specific commands to target the IP lists I need via SSH using Putty. My router config isn't too complicated, so when I do a full reset, I don't mind manually setting it up, but having the manual IP list and DNS filters as simple export files saves some time. I've got the SSH commands I use saved in a text file for when I need them, as I don't use them very often, but I don't have access to it at the moment, as I'm at work.

"The script is only compatible with 384.13 "

or is that incorrect?
You can do factory reset and manually configure all other settings but choose to save/restore just DHCP static list, for example:
Code:
# save 
nsru
./save-mynvram.sh dhcp_staticlist dhcp_hostnames custom_clientlist

# restore
nsru
./restore-mynvram.sh

Look up YazDHCP. Moves the DHCP storage to jffs and supports export and import to/from a csv file.
I just loaded YazDHCP and it adds a section to the DHCP Tab (Nice) and gives a simple Create CSV file (easy). I haven't tested the Import (will do that when I rebuild) but I was wondering if this also saves the names to the Network Map/View Lists/Clients Name?

I just loaded YazDHCP and it adds a section to the DHCP Tab (Nice) and gives a simple Create CSV file (easy). I haven't tested the Import (will do that when I rebuild) but I was wondering if this also saves the names to the Network Map/View Lists/Clients Name?
Not yet, I'm looking in to adding an export for the nvram variables for the Network Map stuff. And if it's possible, the icons too.

Reverted back to 184.19 - stabile as rock, can't have random reboots on my daily driver.
Will try again in a month or so.

I experiencing several issues with the new firmware 386.1_2 on my Asus Ac86U router i made full reset to my router after updating to this version:

1) when i schedule my wifi on/off every night the 2.4Ghz wifi is not returning in the morning i need to restart my router then it's come back (the 5Ghz is working normally)

2) when i choosing "Set AP Isolated" on 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz wifi, i do not have any access to my local LAN from my main wifi on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

3) On the 5Ghz wifi setting under "Control Channel" set to "Auto" and the option "Auto select channel including DFS channels" is off the 5Ghz wifi still sometimes using DFS channels like channel 100.

I will be glad if some other can check those issues and confirm them. thanks.

Back on topic (re: Chromecasts), I have a number of Chromecast Audio devices (poor man's Sonos) that would simply stop playing (from Spotify) out of blue. I recently "bound" them to the closest node a couple of days ago and haven't had a drop since then. I have no idea if this is the correct remedy or not, but it seems to have helped these devices.

Anyone having issues with Chromecasts disappearing off the network? A few of mine go AWOL off the Google Home app, but are still visible in the network list on the router.
Hi,
I've got almost the same issue with all my Google devices. They were able to connect to the internet but not accessible in the google home app.

To solve the problem I disabled the Airtime Fairness (Wireless->Professional) for both bands.
Hope this help.

I experiencing several issues with the new firmware 386.1_2 on my Asus Ac86U router i made full reset to my router after updating to this version:

1) when i schedule my wifi on/off every night the 2.4Ghz wifi is not returning in the morning i need to restart my router then it's come back (the 5Ghz is working normally)

2) when i choosing "Set AP Isolated" on 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz wifi, i do not have any access to my local LAN from my main wifi on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

3) On the 5Ghz wifi setting under "Control Channel" set to "Auto" and the option "Auto select channel including DFS channels" is off the 5Ghz wifi still sometimes using DFS channels like channel 100.

I will be glad if some other can check those issues and confirm them. thanks.

1) Haven't checked.

2) I just set AP isolated on the 2.4 GHz channel, and I can still access my LAN devices (other computers) via 5 GHz. And setting AP isolated on 5 GHz still allows me to access LAN devices from 2.4 GHz. Both of the devices that I accessed are wired, so perhaps that's making a difference.

3) I know its not an answer to your question, but I suggest moving away from auto channel assignment. Your wifi will be more stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!