What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discovered another curious thing.

After setting up an AC68U as an AImesh node on 386.1_2, my Samsung S5 battery's life span seems much shorter. Without using the phone (it's just laying around the house) its battery completely drained within 24 hours.
I also notice this happening when using AiMesh 1.0.

Could it be the phone's confused which station to connect to and just keeps flipping? There seems to be not much associating/disassociating going on in system log, only twice a day.

Anyone else noticed this phenomena?

I did a factory reset and jfss format after the update AC86U from 384.17 to 386.1_2 and the CPU temperature is 91-93°C. Should I worry about it?

If it were my router, and temperature was staying in that range, I would put a fan on it, and/or redo the heat sink.

Not exactly as mine was consistent and reproducible.

Been running scenarios all day. Last one was against the second AC5300 and didn't give the issue with the loss of IP (had address and connectivity but not able to broswe or use anything IP hence my thoughts on ARP table originally). So in a oh well moment, I rebooted the problematic AC5300 node with the issue via the Webgui from the AX88u to really start fresh and sure enough, problem solved itself.

What the problem was I can't say unfortunately. But my last test of the night before starting fresh this AM had the phone showing connected to the problematic AC5300 in AIMesh with an IP, but no IP traffic local or WAN on the iphone, for over 8 hours. Never getting back online overnight until I toggled WiFi on the phone. Even tried manually adding the ARP entry before the reboot, to no avail.

Since the reboot of the AC5300 AIMesh node, no problem roaming...
Go figure, closed source

Hi and thanks for your reply.
Lan_stp was set to 1 on both master and node already. Switched them both to 0 and back again (via GUI) to no avail. Earlier switched jumbo_frame_enable to 1 (was initially 0) on the node, also to no avail
Don't mean to hijack this discussion , but how do you set anything on the mesh node via GUI? If I try to browse to the node, I get redirected to the main router. If you take the node off line and connect a PC directly to it then set some configuration items, won''t they get overwritten when you join the node back to the mesh? I can SSH to the node while it is part of the mesh, but not sure how to set jumbo frames (or anything really) via SSH.

If it were my router, and temperature was staying in that range, I would put a fan on it, and/or redo the heat sink.
https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a8-5v

Yeap. I use these on nearly all my routers. Very low current draw, very high MTTF, quiet. Use USB 3.0 port since I connect my USB/SSD to USB 2.0 port. Clean'm every 6-12 months, GTG. Results, below. The ambient room is ~ 70F...
1613689639505.png

I am not posting this graph to re-ignite the long-running debate on whether our beloved ASUS routers "need or will benefit with a longer service life by adding a small fan to aid in cooling." Given the number of "thermal postings" in this thread, I posted this to share what adding a small fan can accomplish in lowering the unit's thermals. It's up to you. YMMV. Stay safe, stay alive! Peace.

See this older thread -> https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac88u-to-hot.58405/
See this posting for photos per a later request -> https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac88u-to-hot.58405/page-3#post-665525

Last edited:
RT-AC66U-B1 dirty update from 384.18 to 386.1 went ok (RT-AC68U_386.1_2 via webui). Initially after updating I could not access the webui so I power cycled, then it worked normally. The webui seemed faster and snappier than 384.18. Not sure if I should have left it for an hour to do that database updating thing mentioned earlier in the thread before power cycling it. 386.1 seemed stable, but the parental controls time scheduling failed to block internet access. I saw that 386.1_2 was released with a fix for that issue, so I dirty flashed that one. Temperatures 47/52/62 in 19 Celsius ambient are similar to 384.18.

I'm happy that 386.1_2 seems to works ok on my router. Guest networks, parental controls and time scheduling are working, temperatures are normal, and the users are not complaining :) Thanks @RMerlin

Hi guys,

I see for AX86U snmp is enable, but about AX88U - why not ?

Thanks,
Regards,

Because net-snmpd is not compatible with some models, like the RT-AX88U.

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a8-5v

Yeap. I use these on nearly all my routers. Very low current draw, very high MTTF, quiet. Use USB 3.0 port since I connect my USB/SSD to USB 2.0 port. Clean'm every 6-12 months, GTG. Results, below. Stay safe, stay alive! Peace.
Oh the ambient right now is 69F...
View attachment 30936
wow,,,158F ,,,hot enough to cook egg? :)....Yes I did the same ,,,I got little fan on the back, soldered its power cable to the usb cable and plugged to one of the usb port in the back and helps to cool off the AC86U!

70C is not considered hot for these SoCs. Whether it can cook an egg or not (I don't think it can). :)

Don't mean to hijack this discussion , but how do you set anything on the mesh node via GUI? If I try to browse to the node, I get redirected to the main router. If you take the node off line and connect a PC directly to it then set some configuration items, won''t they get overwritten when you join the node back to the mesh? I can SSH to the node while it is part of the mesh, but not sure how to set jumbo frames (or anything really) via SSH.
Changes are made from the GUI on the main router. From there they propagate to the mesh node(s). However it's still possible to SSH directly into a node. It works the same way as SSH'ing into the main router, except you connect to the node's IP address instead. This can be done when it's online acting as a node
"nvram get jumbo_frame_enable" does actually what it says, it shows whether jumbo frames are enabled
"nvram get lan_stp" is a bit more cryptic, but it shows the status of Spanning Tree Protocol

Last edited:
70C is not considered hot for these SoCs. Whether it can cook an egg or not (I don't think it can). :)

I agree. People make a huge fuss about chip temperature for no reason. Mine is at 61°C right now.
It's much worse to have a lot of thermal cycles, fast heat up and cool down than a stable fairly high temp like 70-80°C because things expand with heat, and doing that a lot can weaken or break the solder pins below the chip.

Hello,

For information, I just flashed version 386.1 and Networkmap doesn't work anymore, clients are still connected, even after 6 hours of PC shutdown :

mm.png

Edit : Upgrading to version 386.1.2 + factory reset + manual configuration + JFFS partition formatting does not solve this problem.

I didn't have this problem with version 384.19.

Thank you for your work and your reactivity.

Changes are made from the GUI on the main router. From there they propagate to the mesh node(s). However it's still possible to SSH directly into a node. It works the same way as SSH'ing into the main router, except you connect to the node's IP address instead. This can be done when it's online acting as a node
"nvram get jumbo_frame_enable" does actually what it says, it shows whether jumbo frames are enabled
"nvram get lan_stp" is a bit more cryptic, but it shows the status of Spanning Tree Protocol
Thanks for the clarification!

Hello,

For information, I just flashed version 386.1 and Networkmap doesn't work anymore, clients are still connected, even after 6 hours of PC shutdown :

View attachment 30961

Edit : Upgrading to version 386.1.2 + factory reset + manual configuration + JFFS partition formatting does not solve this problem.

I didn't have this problem with version 384.19.

Thank you for your work and your reactivity.
I have a non-optimal work-around. Click on the client icon, then press the refresh button on the right side client status window. Wait until the clients refresh there, then click on the View List button. This seems to kick-start the refreshing of the client list and will work until I log out of the UI. I have to repeat this work-around the next time I log in.

1613746610553.png

I agree. People make a huge fuss about chip temperature for no reason. Mine is at 61°C right now.
It's much worse to have a lot of thermal cycles, fast heat up and cool down than a stable fairly high temp like 70-80°C because things expand with heat, and doing that a lot can weaken or break the solder pins below the chip.

Thermal cycling is definitely the big issue, however, lower temperature is better than higher temperature at least when considering 90+C compared to say 60C. But to some extent I don't understand why people are complaining about the higher temperature. Its easy to fix it. Fans attached to the back work great, and reapplying the heat sink with new thermal compound works great. Either one solves the issue.

I have a non-optimal work-around. Click on the client icon, then press the refresh button on the right side client status window. Wait until the clients refresh there, then click on the View List button. This seems to kick-start the refreshing of the client list and will work until I log out of the UI. I have to repeat this work-around the next time I log in.

thank you for this trick that works perfectly !

I hope that the problem will be solved in future versions with an automatic and regular refresh.

I am having WAN DHCP renewal issue with often internet drop out by "DHCP Expired".
Never had that issue when using 384.19, have not switch ISP since then,
rolled back to stock 41994 and see. Will report again if any updates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!