What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone noticed that SMB file sharing is much slower on 386.1?
I tried factory reset already.

Read/write ~30MB/s on both my SanDisk 128gb ultra flair external HDD, USB 3.0 with 5Ghz Wifi.
~50MB/s with Ethernet.
CPU gets almost maxed.

My USB stick it's the same I use for the scripts, I have two partitions and it's on ext4 with journaling on.
External HDD is ntfs

Last edited:
Dumb question for @L&LD and @RMerlin :). Sorry if this is obvious and just unclear in my mind...

In regard to this note at the start of this thread... "Asus' 386_41535 as well as 386.1 beta 4 are known to be broken on the RT-AX88U, and require the use of Asus' Firmware Recovery Tool to upgrade"

I'm on 384.19 on an RT-AX88U, does this mean I'll have trouble going to 386.1.2?

I'm on 384.19 on an RT-AX88U, does this mean I'll have trouble going to 386.1.2?
No. The issue was specific to these two beta releases.

I have returned to 384.19 for two reasons (ax88u)

In these two weeks my vpn server crashed several times.

I have an HD connected to the ax88u. and by FTP it goes almost 30% faster in 384.19

Has anyone noticed anything about this?

Read/write ~30MB/s on both my SanDisk 128gb ultra flair external HDD, USB 3.0 with 5Ghz Wifi.
~50MB/s with Ethernet.
CPU gets almost maxed.

My USB stick it's the same I use for the scripts, I have two partitions and it's on ext4 with journaling on.
External HDD is ntfs
Do you have USB3 enabled in the firmware settings? (Administration>System tab)

Ever since I upgraded to 386.1, the traffic monitor no longer populates the daily and monthly tables. I have reset to factory settings, reset the data file, changed the file location from USB to NVRAM, etc. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

~50MB/s with Ethernet.
CPU gets almost maxed.

External HDD is ntfs

I did notice on my AX88U that with QoS enabled, my LAN speeds transferring from my NAS were cut in half, from 950 Mbps to around 500 Mbps, so do you have QoS enabled? Or anything else Trend Micro related enabled? If so I would try withdrawing from everything and testing again,

how long ago did you upgrade? let the router settle for a while longer and I'd wager it comes down: when I did my upgrade from 384.19 to 386.1, the temp did spike into the high 80s, but has since settled 10 degrees lower - when I happen to look, it's fluctuating in the 76-78 range, only 4-5 degrees warmer than before. but it took 12+ hrs to "settle" and cool - passive cooling is like that.
I updated over a week ago and the temperature is still high

1614326090979.png

Last edited:
If I enabled "Enable 160 MHz" for 5GHz Wireless, then my wifi is not in the graph.
RT-AX58U
Firmware Version: 386.1.2

Attachments

• Asus1.jpg
    Asus1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Asus2.jpg
    Asus2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 144
If I enabled "Enable 160 MHz" for 5GHz Wireless, then my wifi is not in the graph.
RT-AX58U
Assuming you have turned on the scan on the configuration page, it takes a few minutes to register .. Then click the scan on the graph page and it will show up.. I have160 turned on for 5Ghz and off for 2.4

This has been discussed heavily in the beta thread if you are keen to go and have a read.
Those temperatures aren't great, but not critical. Mine hovers around that mark as well.

If you are using more than a single Ethernet port on the ac86u, then you will find that they can actually generate a bit of heat, and the last update disabled "Energy Efficient Ethernet".
You can switch that back on by running the following command.
pwrctl config --eee on

That setting should drop the temps a further 5 degrees or so. You will need to add that to a startup script so that it is re-enabled after a reboot.

RT-AX58U
Broadcom hasn't updated their visualization tool to support 160 MHz.

This thread is going to be locked soon, as it has run its course (it's been two weeks since the 386.1_2 release).

can you describe the placement of the router? is there enough space around it to breathe? is it placed near a ceiling where heat builds up anyway? or worse, a corner near the ceiling, where little to no air flows? how are the vents on the case - have you dusted them recently?
mine's currently sitting next to a window getting full sun, and above a heating vent, and it's still only 78C...but I vacuum out the vents with a soft-bristled brush attachment every few months when I remember to.

Sorry if this has been asked already.. however today I tried giving a device on my network a static IP on my AX88U running this firmware. When I set the static IP on the router, and refresh things on the device. The device shows the previous IP. If I manually set the IP on the device itself. Looking at the DHCP Leases on the router, it shows the original IP, not the static IP I have set on the device*. Something seems broken... the router log does show this message often "kernel: mac address not mesh client, can't update it's ip"

Any clues to what's the issue?

Sorry if this has been asked already.. however today I tried giving a device on my network a static IP on my AX88U running this firmware. When I set the static IP on the router, and refresh things on the device. The device shows the previous IP. If I manually set the IP on the device itself. Looking at the DHCP Leases on the router, it shows the original IP, not the static IP I have set on the device*. Something seems broken... the router log does show this message often "kernel: mac address not mesh client, can't update it's ip"

Any clues to what's the issue?
Normally I disconnect my router for 20 minutes so it erases the previous setup. You may 1st try to turn off/on the device 1st. If it doesn't register, turn off router for a few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!