What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.12 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the latest firmware 386.12_4 for a few weeks now on AC86u. Running AiProtection and TM - have to. There is an AiMesh node connected via 5 Ghz band. About ~20 devices Max at various times. The router is on UPS, so no power supply reboots.

The main router is cron rebooted nightly at 4:05 am. There are occasional crashes on busy WiFi days (week-ends), but the router quickly reboots itself (quicker than an explicit reboot!) such that by the time people notice lack of Internet it's already back 🤣 I can work with that!!!

When AiProtection/TM is off, the router is far more stable.

While nightly reboots may seem ugly to some - I say, do it. My WiFi does not have a chance to disappear after a few days - it does not run for that long.

Was looking at the AX86U Pro NewEgg deal now for $200, and it says this:
Commercial-grade Security Anywhere – Protect your home network with AiProtection Pro, powered by Trend Micro. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Maybe AC86U TM engine is flaky because it is not *PRO* ???

Here is an example, non 4am reboots are crash-reboot cycles, which also mess up clock conservation. 12:45 time stamps are not real below.

Code:
Jan  3 04:05:06 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  3 04:06:25 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  3 04:06:26 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  4 04:05:05 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  5 04:05:05 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  5 04:06:21 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  6 04:05:06 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  6 04:06:22 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  6 12:45:00 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  6 16:50:32 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  7 04:05:07 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  7 04:06:32 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  7 07:23:18 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  7 12:45:00 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  7 17:08:53 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  8 04:05:05 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  8 04:06:20 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
Jan  8 04:06:20 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2023-11-21 22:37:39 EST)
I'm running AI Protection too and have resorted to nightly reboots on my RT-AC68U. Started losing web GUI access after about 3 days. I set it to reboot 15min before the first person in the house wakes up, and so far its been fine. And we have all the features AI Protection Pro. The Pro/Classic difference is a newer change.

I saw there has been some talks about this but here is my experience with this error:
"wanduck: WARNING - router is in manufacturing mode, and can behave unexpectedly (did you mess with your bootloader?)"

I updated remotely an AC66U_B1 to 386.12 and it keeps throwing this error. 1st update I made it from 386.5 and i thought I am missing something and then I started to upgrade incremental from one release to the next one. I also run the script to flush vpn settings but still nothing, Up to 386.11 everything runs ok but when I flash 386.12 it keeps showing that error in the logs.

Seems like my AC86U main has stabilized after running for a while over new-years.

After experiencing lots of disconnection whoes and instability, I tried rebooting, opting out and opting in of Trend Micro AIProtection and Traffic Monitor, before (incidentally) landing on:
AIProtection: Enabled
Traffic Analysis: Disabled
CakeQOS: Enabled (I've always had the latter, but experimented with the first two).

Am I finally catching some luck with this particular configuration, is it because the firmware revision dealt with its inner deamons while I was away and didn't use it for a week before new-years, or is there an explanation related to Trend Micro actually fixing the problem with their services?

Anybody else experiencing some relief after weeks of running rough on 386.12_X?
Ideally, I'd like to try and enable Traffic Analysis again, but I'm afraid to reboot it in case it starts acting up again...

When the whole 386.12 update started I had quite some issues with my AC88U, with 386.12_4 mainly with my wifi. Now I turned the 2.4 Ghz wireless radio off completely, as well as AIProtection and now everything is sort of stable except for occasional ASD crashes after the router rebooting.

The only thing is, that my log is now spammed with "[tdts_shell_ioctl_stat:256] Recv ioctl req with op 2", whatever that means.

When the whole 386.12 update started I had quite some issues with my AC88U, with 386.12_4 mainly with my wifi. Now I turned the 2.4 Ghz wireless radio off completely, as well as AIProtection and now everything is sort of stable except for occasional ASD crashes after the router rebooting.

The only thing is, that my log is now spammed with "[tdts_shell_ioctl_stat:256] Recv ioctl req with op 2", whatever that means.
What sorts of issues did you have? Did you make sure to lock the 2.4 band at 20Mhz before resorting to disabling it alltogether? Set at 40Mhz or even Auto 20/40, all sorts of weird stuff starts happening, at least in urban environments.

As written further up in that thread, the 2.4 Ghz wireless was fine after a reboot and then did continously degrade up to speeds where I could not connect to anything anymore. After a reboot of the router or restarting the wireless service, it was again fine for some time. The band was set to 20 Mhz and I also checked all the other threads here on optimizing the professional wireless settings, this did not help at all.

In between I reverted to 386.12_2 and there it seemed to be fine, but then the other issues came back. However, if this is really an issue of the 386.12 firmware or my home environment or my router is something that I cannot really say. All I know is that the 5 Ghz wireless is quite stable, the 2.4 Ghz currently is absolutely not.

In between I reverted to 386.12_2 and there it seemed to be fine, but then the other issues came back. However, if this is really an issue of the 386.12 firmware or my home environment or my router is something that I cannot really say.
I'm starting to think this is the core of the problem with the latter firmware revisions: stability comes and goes randomly after reboots, some uptime, and fw downflash/upflash cycle etc. I don't trust the setup at all.

After upgrading to 386.12.4 3 x AC68U, 1 x AC66U_B1 and 3 x AC86U, I also noticed problems with my 2.4Ghz network, especially after reboots.
Some devices(like smart bulbs or wi-fi cameras) just lost connection and sometimes the 2.4Ghz network disappears. In most of the cases they worked after another router restart but some other times I just had to reconfigure them.
For the AC66U_B1 I was seeing the error I mentioned in the post above(wanduck: WARNING - router is in manufacturing mode, and can behave unexpectedly (did you mess with your bootloader?) - the internet was working fine. After I reverted to 386.11 the error was gone.
I will start revert them all 1 by 1 to 386.11 to see if i notice any improvement of my 2,4Ghz network.

After upgrading to 386.12.4 3 x AC68U, 1 x AC66U_B1 and 3 x AC86U, I also noticed problems with my 2.4Ghz network, especially after reboots.
Some devices(like smart bulbs or wi-fi cameras) just lost connection and sometimes the 2.4Ghz network disappears. In most of the cases they worked after another router restart but some other times I just had to reconfigure them.
For the AC66U_B1 I was seeing the error I mentioned in the post above(wanduck: WARNING - router is in manufacturing mode, and can behave unexpectedly (did you mess with your bootloader?) - the internet was working fine. After I reverted to 386.11 the error was gone.
I will start revert them all 1 by 1 to 386.11 to see if i notice any improvement of my 2,4Ghz network.
you have 7 AC series routers and haven't disabled 2.4GHz wifi yet? Might I suggest re-evaluating your network infrastructure?
Is it range/coverage issues keeping the 2.4 band active, or do you have many older client devices?

That's a very interesting statement. 😊
I don't have any coverage issues. The routers are split between 3 sites, but I have so many devices: wi-fi cameras, smart bulbs and sensors that only supports 2.4Ghz.
I had no issues with this setup so far.
Recently I updated all of them to 386.12.4 and moved from Adguard to the new Diversion. I don't think this has something to do with my issue, as far I remember reading here on the forum, Diversion it's supposed to eat less resources. Most of the problems seems to appear on the ac68u.

That's a very interesting statement. 😊
I don't have any coverage issues. The routers are split between 3 sites, but I have so many devices: wi-fi cameras, smart bulbs and sensors that only supports 2.4Ghz.
I had no issues with this setup so far.
Recently I updated all of them to 386.12.4 and moved from Adguard to the new Diversion. I don't think this has something to do with my issue, as far I remember reading here on the forum, Diversion it's supposed to eat less resources. Most of the problems seems to appear on the ac68u.
You might've told us that sooner, the 3 sites part.
AC68 is getting old, as is the ac66-b2. You'll have to prepare to replace those 4 soon, I think. Some around here would say al of the wifi5/AC-wireless class is due for replacement, especially with WiFi7 standards being announced a few days ago. But if your ISP connections are <300Mbps, there's not much point in being state of the art, is there? (I'm stull using an old n66u as a 5GHz Media Bridge on my network...)

Most of the problems seems to appear on the ac68u.
Consider running the latest official firmware on the AiMesh nodes. It officially supports AiMesh, unlike Merlin (yes, actually). Additionally, you only really need Merlin on the main router that handles the network functionality and any add-ons you want to run, anyways. The other routers in your AiMesh system can operate effectively with the official firmware.

--------------------
Btw. Is anyone else growing weary of the frequent advice over the past few years on this forum to soon replace devices like the AC68 due to its proclaimed impending End of Life (EOL)?

There's really no pressing need to replace these devices unless you specifically require higher bandwidth. For most users, who mainly use their devices for streaming and internet browsing on connections with lower bandwidth, the current models are more than sufficient. Moreover, there's no need to prepare years in advance for a replacement. These devices will continue to perform adequately even after a new need emerges. By waiting, you're likely to have more funds available for a superior and more cost-effective product, which will provide a more significant upgrade and benefit. As opposed to prematurely upgrading to the latest models simply because someone on a forum (which incapable of helping you with the actual problem, a negative qualifier in itself) insists you need to, often due to a firmware issue that could be resolved by downgrading and skipping the problematic release.

I've noticed a troubling trend on this forum where many seeking help are misled by this advice, leading them to unnecessarily spend money on routers that offer no tangible benefit for their specific use-case.

What's even more perplexing and disconcerting is the investment of additional funds into the same brand that allegedly caused issues with their previous, not yet EOL, router. Makes about as much sense to me as pre-emptively "upgrading" with more covid jabs from the most dishonest manufacturer with the most side-effects.

you have 7 AC series routers and haven't disabled 2.4GHz wifi yet? Might I suggest re-evaluating your network infrastructure?
Is it range/coverage issues keeping the 2.4 band active, or do you have many older client devices?
Anyone who has IoT devices on their network most likely has a need for 2.4 GHz band -- very few IoT devices have transitioned to 5 GHz, most likely due to cost.

Last edited:
@heysoundude Sorry, forgot to mention that they lay at multiples sites 😊.
I am using 2 x AC86U at my home where I have a 900/180 connection but otherwise all the other sites they have <300Mb connections. As you said, I don't see the point on upgrading anytime soon and as visortgw pointed out, I do have a lot of IoT devices that are using the 2.4Ghz network

@heywire Thank you for your explanation.
I am using nodes only on 2 location(with Merlin on the nodes 😀) and they work ok.
The problem with that error message I was seeing on a standalone AC66_B1 which is located at a site that I will have access somewhere in February. Since I reverted it back to 386.11 it just works.
Yes I do resemble with what are you saying. I don't see the point in upgrading something that works to something else that in my case will do the same thing butbit will only cost more.

I was just posting my experience here after flashing to 386.12.4 as I saw I am not the only one that experience weired behaviour after doing this. Maybe there is something there that needs to be changed... or some of the devices are just old for this new firmware 😀.

I must say that most of the devices that are loosing connection on the 2.4Ghz network are wi-fi cameras(yes, cheap ones from Yi 😃) but some smart bulbs from Tapo as well and this usually happens after a router reboot.
Just to give you an example: today I have upgraded SkyNet to the last version. On my AC86U and after I did a reboot of the router my garden camere just stopped working. Probably I need to reconfigure it or I'll try to reboot the router again to see if it will connect(not bow as the whole family is online and they're going to kill me 😀)

Thanks guys.

Just for people with wifi dropping on 2.4 smart devices, i had the same issue before on my foscam cameras, eventually found the culprit, seems they were not compatible with the 40Mhz setting
My Asus was set to auto 20/40 ... then i changed to fixed 20, and never had any issue since... I created a seperate wifi network for those devices

It was for me very easy to repliclate, i switched off wifi, forcing a network drop, enabled wifi again, and they never reconnected on 40Mhz , did the same on 20Mhz, and they always reconnected

Anyone who has IoT devices on their network most likely has a need for 2.4 GHz band -- very few IoT devices have transitioned to 5 GHz, most likely due to cost.
I often forget the IoT as I have somehow successfully managed to keep living without any of those things. sorry/not sorry.
The more I hear of peoples troubles keeping them connected to their networks, or to make them behave on them, the more I consider myself to be fortunate that I don't seem to need them.

I often forget the IoT as I have somehow successfully managed to keep living without any of those things. sorry/not sorry.
The more I hear of peoples troubles keeping them connected to their networks, or to make them behave on them, the more I consider myself to be fortunate that I don't seem to need them.
I'm fortunate as well, not using any of those. I mean, connect the fridge to the WiFi? Are you fricking kiddin' me? Just another extra headache to manage. Aren't our lives easier without them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!