What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.12 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty from beta, and No Issues with AC86 in AP.
Can confirm Custom Device Icons now working.
As Always, Thank You RMerlin.

Wow, I never knew that. I think I had this router since 2016 and have run merlin on it for a few years. First time seeing this message.
There are several sticked threads about it in various subforums (see here and here). However there has been a slight change; note what RMerlin stated recently in another sticked thread about the TM-AC1900:
After discussing it with @thiggins, we agreed that at this point, considering this device has long been EOL, it was time to drop this rule. If people can find ways to avoid TM-AC1900 from ending up as e-waste, then it's a Good Thing, and as this is an 8 years old device, I doubt either T-Mobile or Asus would complain.

That being said, one thing stays unchanged: that device is NOT support by Asuswrt-Merlin, and anyone trying to get things to work on it is entirely on their own, as I won't waste my time (or the community's time) trying to help people figure out issues that are caused by Asus's undisclosed protection measures they might have in place.
While the router is not supported by Asus-Merlin one can run the latest Asus-Merlin or stock Asus firmware on it provided the router was properly jailbroken and the MTD5 partition "fix" has been applied. There are several websites and posts elsewhere one can find doing a simple/basic internet search (using the term "TM-AC1900") that explain how to properly jailbreak the router to save it from becoming "e-waste". If one is having trouble, see those other discussions where there may be solutions to your issue there.

Is it required to clean NVRAM with the `clear_vpnclients.sh` script when upgrading directly from 386.10 to 386.12?
Yes. Anyone upgrading for the first time post-386.10 needs to run the script to remove the unused variables.

Asuswrt-Merlin 386.12 is now available for all supported AC models

Changes since 386.11:

Code:
386.12 (4-Sept-2023)
  - UPDATED: Merged with GPL 386_51997.
  - UPDATED: curl to 8.1.2.
  - UPDATED: OpenVPN to 2.6.6.
  - UPDATED: openssl to 1.1.1u.
  - UPDATED: tor to 0.4.7.13.
  - CHANGED: FTP server will now only support strong ciphers
             in TLS mode.
  - FIXED: QOS Classification showing no Upload data on some
           WAN configurations.
  - FIXED: Radio temperature graphs weren't updating
  - FIXED: nvram usage reported on Sysinfo page was inaccurate
           as it included JFFS stored values.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.
Thank you, Merlin.
All working well- AP and Media Bridges working good so far! Will this be your last release for AC hardware??

Yes. Anyone upgrading for the first time post-386.10 needs to run the script to remove the unused variables.
What issues arise if this is not done? And where can I find the guide on how to do this procedure?

What issues arise if this is not done? And where can I find the guide on how to do this procedure?
The directions are in the 386.x change log file under 386.11 (14-May-2023) section:
Code:
- CHANGED: Reduce max OpenVPN clients to 2 for RT-AC68U and
DSL-AC68U due to lack of NVRAM on these two
models.  Note that existing settings are not
automatically removed, you must run the following
command over SSH to remove them from nvram and
the /jffs/openvpn/ directory:

clear_vpnclients.sh

A backup will be saved in /jffs/openvpn_backup.tgz.
If one doesn't clear out the VPN clients then they'll potentially be taking up NVRAM space potentially leading to low NVRAM warnings and possible flaky issues with the RT-AC68U/DSL-AC68U routers. Plenty of other discussions to be found using the search feature about low NVRAM on the RT-AC68U router and issues that arise from it along with ways to try an combat it prior to the 386.11 firmware.

Will this be your last release for AC hardware??
No, there will probably be at least component updates at some point in the coming months. 386.12 will probably be the last GPL merge for the RT-AC88U/AC3100/AC5300 however as these are now EOL by Asus. It will all depend on what Asus releases GPL-wise in the coming months.

Upgraded RT-AC88U (mesh master) and a RT-AC86U_RT-AC2900 (slave) from 386.11 to 386.12. No issues discovered yet.
It seems my RT-AC88U lost 2.4 Ghz a couple of months ago. I was hoping a new firmware would trigger 2.4 Ghz to go working again.
I don't think it's related to firmware, but to the router itself. When I have a little bit more spare time, i'll do a factory reset to see if this revives 2.4 Ghz. For the moment I'll manage with 2.4 Ghz from my mesh slave.
Perhaps a USB drive attached?

The directions are in the 386.x change log file under 386.11 (14-May-2023) section:
Code:
- CHANGED: Reduce max OpenVPN clients to 2 for RT-AC68U and
DSL-AC68U due to lack of NVRAM on these two
models.  Note that existing settings are not
automatically removed, you must run the following
command over SSH to remove them from nvram and
the /jffs/openvpn/ directory:

clear_vpnclients.sh

A backup will be saved in /jffs/openvpn_backup.tgz.
If one doesn't clear out the VPN clients then they'll potentially be taking up NVRAM space potentially leading to low NVRAM warnings and possible flaky issues with the RT-AC68U/DSL-AC68U routers. Plenty of other discussions to be found using the search feature about low NVRAM on the RT-AC68U router and issues that arise from it along with ways to try an combat it prior to the 386.11 firmware.
Not enough notice IMO, should be written clearly in the firmware upgrade page in the WebGUI.

Am I right in assuming that this only applies if I'm doing a "dirty" upgrade from one Merlin version to another?

What will happen if I switch to official firmware and back, will it get cleared out then?

What will happen if I switch to official firmware and back, will it get cleared out then?

At this point it's just best to upgrade to AX. AC routers are hitting End of Life pretty quickly now and support is ending.

GT-AC2900 dirty upgrade 386.11 to 386.12 - AP mode OK
gt-ac2900 386.12.jpg

Thank you Merlin!

AC68U, dirty update from 386.11 on an Ethernet connected PC using Firefox. All smooth.

Merlin, once again, thank you for your efforts.

At this point it's just best to upgrade to AX. AC routers are hitting End of Life pretty quickly now and support is ending.
I don't know what question you are answering exactly, but at this point, I see absolutely no reason to upgrade to AX.

I don't know what question you are answering exactly, but at this point, I see absolutely no reason to upgrade to AX.
I upgraded my AC68U to an AX recently but gave it my senior parents and they love it. The 68U gives them way better range than their Bell modem and they love the idea of the OpenVPN server on the router for travel purposes (let's Dad connect to his gambling pony sites in Canada without regional blocks)....works for them as they just want good speed and range.

American consumer law disagrees with you, this forum has been in the wrong the entire time just because "Asus" said so, and it should have been brought up and contested long ago rather than rolling over for them.
The forum wasn't wrong. The issue was never about the hardware it was the software licencing. The current firmware includes proprietary software (AiMesh, TrendMicro, etc.) that was never licenced for use by TMobile on the routers they sold (because it didn't exist at that time). It's no different than you buying a PC with an OEM version of Windows XP installed on it. That does not give you the right to install a retail version of Windows 11 on it without paying the appropriate fee. There's nothing to stop you running open source software on your router or PC.

Last edited:
Is there a fix for this vulnerability in the Ac86u firmware?

From the changelogs, no. But that doesn't mean it isn't there already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!