What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RMerlin The GT-AX11000’s 2.5 GB gaming port I believe uses the AQR109 which supports standard up to 10Gbe connections “in theory”. Would it be possible to make this port work at those faster speeds or would the cpu not be able to handle it? Just curious because it would give this router a massive feature boost.

Last edited:
@RMerlin The GT-AX11000’s 2.5 GB gaming port I believe uses the AQR109 which supports standard up to 10Gbe connections “in theory”. Would it be possible to make this port work at those faster speeds or would the cpu not be able to handle it? Just curious because it would give this router a massive feature boost.
No, it's a Broadcom chip, not an Aquantia.

I can't upgrade my RT-AC68 from 386.1_2, after upload firmware and 100% of upgrade progress process stop with this message:
Invalid Firmware Upload
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware. Is interesting - the message is displayed in Edge, Chrome but not in Firefox (it return to login page without message)

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2021-04-13 230707.jpg
    Zrzut ekranu 2021-04-13 230707.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 117
No, it's a Broadcom chip, not an Aquantia.
Did some searching and found a teardown of the router on a Chinese website. Your correct it is a Broadcom chip; however it seems the Ethernet chipset (BCM84880) does provide additional speeds up to 5Gbe, but the processor (BCM4908) for the router does not support those additional speeds.

Kind of a shame, but it give me hope that 5 to 10Gbe Ethernet will become more common for consumer routers even if internet’s speeds for most people aren’t up to that standard. On the LAN only side it’s promising for local network file sharing.

Installed on my AX11000 and my AC5300 which are meshed with AX11000 as the main router. No issues with the upgrade on my AC5300 (was running Merlin's previous version). On the AX11000, I first tried a dirty migration and found many of the graphics and such didn't update (had a weird mix of ROG red and Merlin Blue). So did a complete wipe and rebuilt. Figured it was probably better anyways. So far so good. But have seen two issues:

1> Using Guest 1 (both 2.4 and 5), access to the Internet is blocked unless I enable access to the 'Intranet'. Like a switch is reversed there? I have the SSID hidden and use personal SSID and WPA2 AES password. I moved the SSID to Guest 3 and it works as expected.

2> I appeared to be limited to a single OpenVPN UDP session via NordVPN config. I converted to TCP based sessions and had no problem getting 4 up simultaneously. Problem definitely appeared to be UDP based. Always possible this one was my upstream carrier modem but didn't see it on the ROG based 'beta' we've been stuck with for the last couple of months.

I have to say, I am so happy to be back on a Merlin build for my main router.....

386.2_2 is now available. This is a minor update addressing a few issues with IPv6 firewalling and webui quirks.

Code:
- FIXED: IPv6 pings were blocked if sent below the rate limit
         instead of above (issue introduced in 42095)
- FIXED: kernel debuging log entry (was removed) (RT-AC86U)
- FIXED: Field that accepted a float value would reject
         values equal to the allowed minimum (for example
         the QoS bandwidth limits)
- FIXED: QoS Bandwidth settings were hidden on
         non-HND models when accessing the QoS page.
- CHANGED: Tweaks to the Firmware Upgrade page display.
- CHANGED: Enabling DOS protection will now also rate limit
           ICMPV6 echo (type 128) packets, like with IPv4.

Let's do this!

I can't upgrade my RT-AC68 from 386.1_2, after upload firmware and 100% of upgrade progress process stop with this message:
Invalid Firmware Upload
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware. Is interesting - the message is displayed in Edge, Chrome but not in Firefox (it return to login page without message)
As a start try a different browser/different PC.

Invalid Firmware Upload
386.2_2 solve problem. Upgrade from .1_2 work fine. Thx
ps. The same problem happened on my second router

Updated to -2 for both AC5300 and GX11000. Upgrade went well but same issue with Guest 1 exists (haven't tried the VPN one). Current settings on 2.4 Guest 1:

Hide SSID: Yes (note tried it both ways)
SSID Name: HM_Reserve1
Authentication Method: WPA/WPA2-Personal
WPA Encryption: AES
Access time: Unlimited access checked
Bandwidth Limited: No
Access Intranet: Disable
Sync to AiMesh Node: All (tried it with router only)
Enable MAC Filter: Disable (tried couple of settings)

Still happy about the release and thankful to Merlin for doing the AX11000.

Just upgraded to 386.2_2

Thank you sir.

Dirty upgrade from 386.2 to 386.2_2 (unmounted my USB drive prior upgrading). So far so good.

Dirty upgrade from 386.2 to 386.2_2 on all APs and primary router done. No issues. One complaint from the wife. All good.

Updated to -2 for both AC5300 and GX11000. Upgrade went well but same issue with Guest 1 exists (haven't tried the VPN one). Current settings on 2.4 Guest 1:

Hide SSID: Yes (note tried it both ways)
SSID Name: HM_Reserve1
Authentication Method: WPA/WPA2-Personal
WPA Encryption: AES
Access time: Unlimited access checked
Bandwidth Limited: No
Access Intranet: Disable
Sync to AiMesh Node: All (tried it with router only)
Enable MAC Filter: Disable (tried couple of settings)

Still happy about the release and thankful to Merlin for doing the AX11000.
Per chance do you have static IP addresses on the guest clients? My Guest 1 2.4 GHZ works just fine.

Per chance do you have static IP addresses on the guest clients? My Guest 1 2.4 GHZ works just fine.
Hmm.... I have three devices that use this SSID (I use it for my IOT stuff). I do have them in my static IP list (legacy list that I've just never changed) but the static listed there is in the standard range, not the elevated one of Guest 1. The router has historically ignored that static for the guest 1 and simply assigned a 10X address. At least on the ROG.

But... I'll be. I remove that Static and no more issue with Guest 1 with the merlin code. That is extremely interesting. It ignores it and assigns the right IP address, but it messes with the routing it looks like.

Great call!!!

386.2_2 is now available. This is a minor update addressing a few issues with IPv6 firewalling and webui quirks.

Code:
- FIXED: IPv6 pings were blocked if sent below the rate limit
         instead of above (issue introduced in 42095)
- FIXED: kernel debuging log entry (was removed) (RT-AC86U)
- FIXED: Field that accepted a float value would reject
         values equal to the allowed minimum (for example
         the QoS bandwidth limits)
- FIXED: QoS Bandwidth settings were hidden on
         non-HND models when accessing the QoS page.
- CHANGED: Tweaks to the Firmware Upgrade page display.
- CHANGED: Enabling DOS protection will now also rate limit
           ICMPV6 echo (type 128) packets, like with IPv4.

Thank you again!:)

Smooth dirty upgrade for RT-AC86U (Main router) and RT-AC68U (AIMesh Node) from 386.2 to 386.2_2. Thanks for the update Eric! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!