What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgrade RT-AX88U & RT-AC3100 from V386.2_2 Final to V386.2_4 Final via dirty firmware upgrade. 40+ devices (includes gaming, streaming, downloads, many IOT devices, etc.) and all appears to be working for main AX88U & backup AC3100 routers. Still postponing adding RT-AX58U with V386.2_2 Final into AiMesh 2.0, until Guest Network #01 issue is fixed, as Guest network is #01, and IOT devices is #02 currently in my setup.

Update from 386.2_2 to 386.2_4 + WPS Reset => no problem (RT-AX88U)
Except the refresh of the list of disconnected clients which does not update automatically, or has trouble... (problem already reported)
Many thanks to @RMerlin and all developers for their work :)

Last edited:
That’s not a firmware function. You must have a custom update-notification script sending the email.
Or it's the firmware update mail sent by Diversion, which isn't up to date currently, as far as I'm aware. @thelonelycoder has been quite been busy lately, so an update to Diversion might take some more patience.

Or it's the firmware update mail sent by Diversion, which isn't up to date currently, as far as I'm aware. @thelonelycoder has been quite been busy lately, so an update to Diversion might take some more patience.
Ah, thank you. I now see the email is from "Diversion Router Firmware notification". I guess I should have paid closer attention. The notification itself is still working fine, just the text within is out of date.

As it turns out, all of the changelog links in the email go to the correct 386 changelog page anyway. I was just confused by the outdated text. I'll finish my coffee before posting next time,

There is a bug in network map it does not allow changing the client name. After name change hit apply it does not take. Changing icon does work. This works with Asus official 386.42095. Also Galaxy J-7 reports offline but its online and working.

- FIXED: Scheduled new FW checks wouldn't display the webui notification icon when the local router had a new release available.

Hi, I'm new. A while back I wrote an update-notification script in /jfss/scripts, set it to +x, and tested it by executing it directly with "./update-notification". Then I went into the UI and turned on "Scheduled check for new firmware availability".

I didn't receive any updates for this patch, which I discovered today after manually clicking on "Check Update" . I realized "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" wasn't enabled, so I just turned it on. I manually tested my script again by executing it from inside the router, and it still works.

Should I wait 48 hours and see if I get notified? Or, because my router is already aware of a new update, the script will not execute "again"? Is there a way to trigger the automatic process to see if it will fire my update-notification script? Or should I patch now because the router thinks notification for this patch is no longer required?

Are my issues related to the fix quoted at the start of my post, or am I having some other issue?

Dirty upgrade from 386.2_2 to 386.2_4 on my RT-AC88U, but like the 386.2_2 upgrade the iptable rules I add in the /jffs/scripts/firewall-start aren't there after the router is fully up.

I looked at the logs and it looks like the firewall up script is running before the WAN comes up, so the iptables are reset after my rules get added.

If I manually run the "/jffs/scripts/firewall-start eth0" the rules get added back in.
Is there a script that runs after the WAN comes up (or after the frewall-start script)?

Here's the startup logs. My script outputs the "user" line so I can tell that it ran.

Code:
May  5 01:05:19 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/firewall-start (args: eth0)
May  5 01:05:19 user: “Applying firewall-start rules on eth0”
May  5 01:05:20 syslog:  event: wl_chanspec_changed_action
May  5 01:05:20 syslog: skip event due static chan
May  5 01:05:20 wan: finish adding multi routes
May  5 01:05:20 rc_service: udhcpc 1171:notify_rc stop_ntpd
May  5 01:05:20 rc_service: udhcpc 1171:notify_rc start_ntpd
May  5 01:05:20 rc_service: waitting "stop_ntpd" via udhcpc ...
May  5 01:05:21 ntpd: Started ntpd
May  5 01:05:21 WAN_Connection: WAN was restored.

the iptable rules I add in the /jffs/scripts/firewall-start aren't there after the router is fully up.
What kind of iptables rule is it? Which table does it use? nat, mangle, filter, raw? If it’s nat, maybe it would be better in nat-start.

Hi all, my first post on SNB!

I have been using Merlin for a while now and things been great. One issue i encountered with 386 version (AX86U) is that a second 2.4Ghz SSID shows up as SSID_2. I dont use smart connect so always had one SSID for 2.4G and one for 5G.

I checked if the Guest networks are enabled (not by me!) however they are disabled on both bands.

Any insight on what might be causing this?

Thanks!

Mus

This
Hi all, my first post on SNB!

I have been using Merlin for a while now and things been great. One issue i encountered with 386 version (AX86U) is that a second 2.4Ghz SSID shows up as SSID_2. I dont use smart connect so always had one SSID for 2.4G and one for 5G.

I checked if the Guest networks are enabled (not by me!) however they are disabled on both bands.

Any insight on what might be causing this?

Thanks!

Mus
sounds more like a user specific issue (if an issue at all) rather than something specific to 386.2(4)

You will need to be more specific about where you are seeing this SSID_2 sir.
Would this be something your client devices are seeing or in your router gui or?

Depending upon where you are seeing this, this ssid is probably not even yours. Another device in range is likely broadcasting.

Basically, if your router is not configured with a SSID_2 in it then its not from your ax86u.

Dirty upgrade from 386.2_2 to 386.2_4 on AC-88U, so far so good.

All units updated from _2 to _4 with no issues.

Should I wait 48 hours and see if I get notified?
I have no idea how your script works, so I cannot answer that.

Are my issues related to the fix quoted at the start of my post, or am I having some other issue?
The resolved issue was strictly related to the webui.

Upgraded from _2 to _4 and it locked me out of my router, saying username and password is invalid and it gives me a damned capcha box that doesn't work either. I thought Merlin didn't use that in his FW versions? Anyone else seeing this and how do you get past it? I'm using a AX86U, btw.

Last edited:
Upgraded from _2 to _4 and it locked me out of my router, saying username and password is invalid and it gives me a damned capcha box that doesn't work either. I thought Merlin didn't use that in his FW versions? Anyone else seeing this and how do you get past it?
No clue if this is the problem but I recall some issues in the past that needed to have your browser cache cleared. Try clearing your browser cache and then try to connect with a fresh browser.

Dirty Upgrade from 386.2.2 to 386.2.4

No Issues so far

No clue if this is the problem but I recall some issues in the past that needed to have your browser cache cleared. Try clearing your browser cache and then try to connect with a fresh browser.
That was a thought. Went and did that. Nope. Though, clearing things did give me the capcha box immediately now. Who at Asus thought adding a capcha box to login was a good idea? I'd love to send them a few choice words.

@RMerlin In your changelog jitterentropy-rngd is new , I am familiar with Jitter but can you point me somewhere as what this is and how to use ?

That was a thought. Went and did that. Nope. Though, clearing things did give me the capcha box immediately now. Who at Asus thought adding a capcha box to login was a good idea? I'd love to send them a few choice words.
I just checked mine (administration/system page) and while I haven't seen a captcha, mine was set to enabled. I turned it off and applied the setting. AX86U here on 386.2_4.

Also, I have had the issue of the router not logging out after the set time. May be related but will have to wait and see if things get logged out properly.

EDIT: It logged me out finally and I was required to re-authenticate with my username and password (no captcha)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!