What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Set WAN retrieval IP mode to "External" instead of "Internal", and see what happens.
Ok, When IPv6 is enabled, I will not be able to register DDNS. Regardless of whether it is set External or Internal, I initially thought it was a domain name conflict. finally I set a random value, but I still receive request error.

DDNS is normal after turning off IPv6 on 386.4 beta 1. The tested router is RT-AC68U, upgraded from 386.3 to 386.4 beta 1, without any factory reset.

Because I always turned off any Asus features that require additional agreements before today tests, and disabled IPv6, I know very little about these features, so I just downgraded to 386.3 to see how it works differently.

By the way, I found that compared to 386.3, after enabling DDNS and IPv6, I got a longer "no network connection" prompt in the GUI. I noticed that NTP has been synchronized, and it is normal to ping 1.1.1.1 from the computer.

Edit, I plan to restore the factory settings at night for a complete test. these previous tests are quick tests, and there may be some problems, because I noticed that the DDNS update issues you are referring to does not seem to be the same error that I encountered.

Last edited:
so far all working well on my ac 5300 upgrade from 384.3
Thanks for the update

A hypothetical problem, I haven't tested it, but it may be a problem.

I have CGNAT, and the IPv4 address provided to me by the ISP is 100.64.0.0/10. In the router, it does not follow RFC6598 and regards it as a reserved address, so the router considers this to be a “real” public IP and registers DDNS for it.

When I have a public IPv6 address, I assume that DDNS will register two addresses at the same time, one is the IPv4 CGNAT reserved address, and the other is the IPv6 public IP address. The problem is that the client will connect to a non-existent IPv4 address after resolving DNS. So is there a way to allow only IPv6 registration on the DDNS page?
You can override what Ip address detection methods gets used to register your ddns using custom scripts. Unfortunately certain environments may require users to do such. Where asuswrt may not be flexible in this regards, asuswrt-merlin branch is. Inadyn is very flexible in this regards. I suggest you take a look at the custom scripts wiki specifically sections that talk about ddns services. As for registering two addresses at the same time, it really all depends on your ddns service and whether inadyn will send them both in the same configuration segment. For dynv6, I have to do two separate instances, one for ipv4 and one for ipv6 to assure both get properly registered. I tried to do both at the same instance, but what would happen is only the first request would get sent, -i.e. if ipv4 was sent to go first, it would be the only one that got registered because inadyn saw it as successful ( or not needed if it didn't change) and did not finish the operation by updating the ipv6..

Last edited:
Already beta hmmmm tempting.
Just quick question tho, the temps reported are the same temps i would have with non merlin firmware right ?
Beta runs fine so far and wifi no longer thinks it still needs to be setup with 64 character wifi password

Last edited:
Yes.

There are still a few remaining issues that are currently forcing me to delay support for the RT-AC68U_V4 and GT-AXE11000, these will need to be revisited once their respective GPL archives are fixed by Asus and Broadcom.
@RMerlin What's the best forum/email to write to Asus that what's holding me (and others I know) from upgrading to AXE11000 is the lack of your support?

@RMerlin What's the best forum/email to write to Asus that what's holding me (and others I know) from upgrading to AXE11000 is the lack of your support?
The best is patience. It's coming when its done.

> RT-AX88U_386.4_beta1_cferom_ubi.w
Issues:
Major: No ipv6 - understand this is out of your control
Minor: Internet Disconnected Screen is displayed and yes, dns_probe_host=dns.msftncsi.com

Oh, and here's and interesting one (multiple entries):

dnsmasq[1377]: possible DNS-rebind attack detected: time.nist.gov

Sigh
FYI. the disconnected bug due to the dns query stuff. you only need to enable it and add the dns info back into the entry box (or commit to nvram in shell) , reboot, then you can turn dns query back off and it still works correctly. at least in my case. dirty flashed from alpha2 to beta1

~~
In addition, I did do some tests a few minutes ago, including back to 386.3_2. Under 386.3_2, I cannot register IPv6 addresses for DDNS. Even though I already have IPv6, lookups can only return IPv4 addresses. Of course, it is CGNAT.
Can't comment on the effects of your ISP using CGNAT, as that's not used by my ISP plus I haven't tried the current beta release myself yet, but there's already a few posts now re: no IPv6 / DDNS with Asus... Even though Asus still don't - yet - officially say that they do support IPv6 / DDNS. Have you ever tried another DDNS provider on your 386.3_2 firmware? EG No IP? That would rule out one area of concern / suspicion wouldn't it? That setup works for me i.e. FTTH and IPv4 / IPv6 from my ISP but no CGNAT ;) remember and then DDNS IPv4 / IPv6 from No IP not Asus. I think we're using the same router too FWIW

Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 is now available for all supported models. This release merges with GPL 386_45958, and adds support for the RT-AX86S.

There has been a long gap between these last releases due to licensing issues Asus had to resolve with the generated GPL archives. There are still a few remaining issues that are currently forcing me to delay support for the RT-AC68U_V4 and GT-AXE11000, these will need to be revisited once their respective GPL archives are fixed by Asus and Broadcom.

The highlights of this release;
  • Merges with GPL 386_45958.
  • Adds support for the RT-AX86S (uses the same firmware as the RT-AX86U).
  • HND firmwares now include both the kernel module and userspace tool for Wireguard. There is no built-in support for Wireguard at this time, these are only included for end-user or third party usage. Asus is still working on their own implementation, which isn't available yet.
  • OpenVPN server now supports IPv6, both for incoming connections, and for routing access to the LAN clients over IPv6. Note however that redirecting IPv6 Internet traffic through your server is not supported.
  • Component updates: curl 7.79.1, vsftpd to 3.0.5, openssl to 1.1.1l, wget to 1.21.1, nettle to 3.7.3, dnsmasq 2.86, openvpn 2.5.4, tor 0.4.5.11, miniupnpd 2.2.3-git 20211017 and inadyn 2.9.1
  • jitterentropy-rngd was replaced by haveged. Haveged is more resource-intensive, but it works properly under older 2.6.x kernels.
  • dnsmasq was reverted back to using nettle for its DNSSEC crypto handling (since openssl support never got mainlined and was increasingly problematic to support)
  • miniupnpd now uses the real public IP address instead of any potentially (double-)NATed address for the WAN.
  • Reworked DHCP hostname support to use Asus's own implementation.
  • A couple of various bugfixes

Please review the Changelog for complete details.

Notes:
  • 386.4 uses the new DHCP hostname implementation from Asus (your entries will automatically be converted to the new format on first boot). This means however that reverting to a previous firmware version will lose all of your defined static lease hostnames.

Things that needs particular testing and feedback:
  • OpenVPN server IPv6 support. I was only able to do limited testing using an HE tunnel.

Please keep posts in this thread on this specific release.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

been keeping an eye on when the next release is coming for the AX86U, thanks for posting.

i prefer to wait for the release channel so when this is available there, i will download it.

could you please clarify what the new hostname implementation means, i use static IP assignments to my LAN devices (19 devices). my router is configured with a 10.10.86.XXX IP assignment to itself and all my devices. when connecting a device that is managed by my organization (my work), the router assigns an IP for it that is based on the out-of-the-box pool (192.168.1.XXX).

will this feature change cause an issue with my current arrangement ?

just a note that my wired and wireless devices are pushed a static IP from my router.

thanks in advance for your help Merlin, your firmware has been trouble-free for me so far across 2 different ASUS routers.

my router is configured with a 10.10.86.XXX IP assignment to itself and all my devices. when connecting a device that is managed by my organization (my work), the router assigns an IP for it that is based on the out-of-the-box pool (192.168.1.XXX).
I don't see how it is possible that the router is assigning 192.168.1.x addresses if you have configured it's DHCP server to give out 10.10.86.x addresses. Not unless you're talking about VPN or guest network addresses.

I don't see how it is possible that the router is assigning 192.168.1.x addresses if you have configured it's DHCP server to give out 10.10.86.x addresses. Not unless you're talking about VPN or guest network addresses.

i forgot about the guest network difference, with respect to IP assignment. i allow my work computer on one of my guest wifi broadcast only which cannot see my LAN (isolated from my network). sorry about missing that.

i forgot about the guest network difference, with respect to IP assignment. i allow my work computer on one of my guest wifi broadcast only which cannot see my LAN (isolated from my network). sorry about missing that.
In which case if you're using WiFi guest "slot" #1 the addresses should be either 192.168.101.x or 192.168.102.x, not 192.168.1.x.

In which case if you're using WiFi guest "slot" #1 the addresses should be either 192.168.101.x or 192.168.102.x, not 192.168.1.x.
you are correct, sorry for my mistake on the notation.

reason i posted is to learn if the new implementation mentioned is something that needs to be documented in my notes for future reference and in case i have to reset a wifi connection on the client side. some of my LAN devices are setup with references to their IP address for other reasons and are not automatically updated by the device (such as with a 3rd party app or command line job).

reason i posted is to learn if the new implementation mentioned is something that needs to be documented in my notes for future reference and in case i have to reset a wifi connection on the client side. some of my LAN devices are setup with references to their IP address for other reasons and are not automatically updated by the device (such as with a 3rd party app or command line job).
No, it's just a slight change internally in the way the router stores the DHCP host names. It's not something that the end user would be aware of (unless you're writing your own custom DHCP scripts).

been keeping an eye on when the next release is coming for the AX86U, thanks for posting.

i prefer to wait for the release channel so when this is available there, i will download it.

could you please clarify what the new hostname implementation means, i use static IP assignments to my LAN devices (19 devices). my router is configured with a 10.10.86.XXX IP assignment to itself and all my devices. when connecting a device that is managed by my organization (my work), the router assigns an IP for it that is based on the out-of-the-box pool (192.168.1.XXX).

will this feature change cause an issue with my current arrangement ?

just a note that my wired and wireless devices are pushed a static IP from my router.

thanks in advance for your help Merlin, your firmware has been trouble-free for me so far across 2 different ASUS routers.
The router does not push static IP addresses. It does manually assigned IP addresses. Static IP addresses are assigned at the client and the router DHCP is not involved at all.

a have problems with this firmware. i have router ax68u and after update (dirt or after reset) after same time (hour or more) wifi 5G stop respondings - clients not connectings with wifi 5g (i check changes settings 5g and nothing works) - after restart its working some time and so on (i check asuswrt FM. ver. 3.0.0.4.386.45934 and the same bug occur). i revert to RT-AX68U_386.3_2 and router work wihout this problems with wifi-5G (2,4G wifi working with beta 1 without this bug...)....

a have problems with this firmware. i have router ax68u and after update (dirt or after reset) after same time (hour or more) wifi 5G stop respondings - clients not connectings with wifi 5g (i check changes settings 5g and nothing works) - after restart its working some time and so on (i check asuswrt FM. ver. 3.0.0.4.386.45934 and the same bug occur). i revert to RT-AX68U_386.3_2 and router work wihout this problems with wifi-5G (2,4G wifi working with beta 1 without this bug...)....
Not that it helps you, but I'm having no such issue on my AX68U.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!