What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Unfortunately there's nothing obvious to me (maybe others can see something) as to the cause. But I suggest that you turn off the logging of dropped packets as it's serving no useful purpose and is just filling up the log making diagnostics more difficult.
The print_nat_table_by_hash and surrounding entries were interesting, but mysterious. Suggests netfilter, but I really don’t know what I’m looking at in that regard.

I have a fairly big list of authorized keys for ssh access.
Sadly, the input-length of the 'administration > system > authorized keys' is limited so that i have to edit the file in
/tmp/home/root/.ssh/authorized_keys
with vi to add the missing entries.

Any chance to get that fixed (increase the input length in the webgui)?
No.

Why do you need so many authorized keys to access a single-user router? Stock Asuswrt only allows for a single key, I'm already allowing more than one key - more than enough for normal usage.

Something happened in the 2.4Ghz from Beta3 to Release code.
Don't bet on this, since the ONLY change between beta3 and release was an amtm update...

Code:
merlin@ubuntu-dev:~/amng$ git log --oneline 386.4-beta3..386.4
912515ed43 (HEAD -> master, tag: 386.4, origin/master) Updated to 386.4 final
aa9839bff3 Updated documentation
fdb2ad0334 Merge pull request #797 from decoderman/master
dad3423195 Preparation for amtm 3.2.2 release

Should the AX58U download be nearly 20MB smaller than all the previous updates??

I looked at some of the other model's and downloads are all same size as previous releases, or close. Only the AX58U is smaller.
It looks like there was a switch to using squashfs inside the firmware. The various firmware versions I have online are below. The first line is the most recent stock firmware (AX3000s use AX58U firmware). Note the name end change from pureubi.w to puresqubi.w for the Merlin firmwares, and how the 386_4 Merlin firmwares are closer in size now to the stock one.
59375636 2021-10-04 17:10 FW_RT_AX3000_300438645898.w
84410388 2021-08-06 18:32 RT-AX58U_386.3_2_cferom_pureubi.w
60948500 2021-12-09 23:42 RT-AX58U_386.4_alpha3-g092f25da96_cferom_puresqubi.w
60948500 2021-12-16 16:11 RT-AX58U_386.4_beta1_cferom_puresqubi.w
60948500 2021-12-22 13:55 RT-AX58U_386.4_beta2_cferom_puresqubi.w
60948500 2021-12-28 16:52 RT-AX58U_386.4_beta3_cferom_puresqubi.w
60948500 2022-01-01 14:25 RT-AX58U_386.4_0_cferom_puresqubi.w

For what it's worth, I've got 3 Sylvania smart bulbs, a Brother HL-L2350 printer, a Eufy Robovac, and a Subaru Crosstrek that connect to my 2.4Ghz. All connections are working perfectly. Settings attached.
View attachment 38330View attachment 38331
May be worth considering the FAQ published by Asus at this link ...
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042475/
I know some of the recommended settings there are not the same as yours - but there are clear variances on setups depending on the range of client devices connected to the 2.4Ghz WiFi at any time.

Hello Everyone, I'm new in SNB and owner of AX86U. Since the upgrade of 386.3.2 to 386.4, the IFTTT is missing and only having Amazon Alexa. Does the latest firmware remove IFTTT for AX86U? (I found other members' posts there is available in AX88U)

Clipboard01.jpg

Just updated to 386.4 from most recent stock. We'll see in the morning if things stayed connected while we were asleep. So far so good.

The CPU load average (which in my understanding includes I/O, process queue and CPU load) is really high on my RT-AX56U running 386.4. I have never seen this above 2 before. This means that each of the 4 CPU cores is about 50% occupied inclusive of I/O. On prior builds, this would be around 1.85.

View attachment 38337

From top, you can see that the CPU processor load itself is low. So there must be more I/O or process queuing on this build than prior builds in some crazy way.

1641450736836.png

Any thoughts on why this build would increase CPU load average by like 8 - 10%? Anyone else noticing this?

Just to confirm, I used to have problems with many of my iOT devices on 2.4G. Finally one day I went in and changed that band to "lowest common denominator" - no beamforming, no Airtime fairness, only MCS 7, etc, etc - and I haven't had issues with devices dropping offline since.
Hi

Who knows what this means in wifi ? Is that a setting?

- lowest common denominator
- MCS 7

? anyone tried it yet? does it help

Yes...I discovered the same issue during the betas....I had to change the DNS Configuration to EXCLUSIVE, with WAN set to automatic DNS Servers. This will pull the DNS from your VPN Provider only and resolved my DNS leak (with Surfshark)...You're right this wasn't necessary with 386.3_2.
I got the same issue, but my ISP's dns still leaks even with the Exclusive set.

The CPU load average (which in my understanding includes I/O, process queue and CPU load) is really high on my RT-AX56U running 386.4. I have never seen this above 2 before. This means that each of the 4 CPU cores is about 50% occupied inclusive of I/O. On prior builds, this would be around 1.85.

View attachment 38337

From top, you can see that the CPU processor load itself is low. So there must be more I/O or process queuing on this build than prior builds in some crazy way.

Any thoughts on why this build would increase CPU load average by like 8 - 10%? Anyone else noticing this?
See here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-386-4-is-now-available.76498/page-13#post-733821

Last edited:
Updated from the previous version to this one on my AC68U. Said I needed to manually restart which I did (it never asked me to do this on previous updates). After that I can no longer access the router on any IP. LAN or Wifi. Meaning I can not reach the UI. The LEDs are blinking like normal. Wifi SIDS are visible but I can not connect to them. Ipconfig default gateway is empty. Any suggestions? I have this router for 2 years and this never happened before.

Was able to access the router after holding the reset button but as soon as I restore my settings I have the same issue. Is there a way to have my settings back without restoring them manually? I can not remember them all.

Last edited:
Reply to RAMZ about resetting router....
I have an AC86U, its replaced by using AX86U now. Anyway, when I was using it, I had a problem where the DHCP address could take 10 seconds to be issued (even if reserved addresses used) and 30 seconds to connect to WiFI.

The DHCP issue didn't affect all devices, but at the time my Windows Media Center HTPC using Skylake chipset, exhibited this issue. I thought it was actually the firmware on the motherboard at the time when resuming from standby.

Anyway, I did a clean reset of the AC86U and entered all details by hand again (NOT using a backup file) and both issues went away and it was bliss after that.

So yes, even had issues using a backup file of one known working router (AX86U) and imported settings into another AX86U. Although the import went fine and appeared to work, that also had issues with WIFI disconnections but only on some devices. Again a reset and enter by hand (even though annoying) cured the issue.

Updated from the previous version to this one on my AC68U. Said I needed to manually restart which I did (it never asked me to do this on previous updates). After that I can no longer access the router on any IP. LAN or Wifi. Meaning I can not reach the UI. The LEDs are blinking like normal. Wifi SIDS are visible but I can not connect to them. Ipconfig default gateway is empty. Any suggestions? I have this router for 2 years and this never happened before.

Was able to access the router after holding the reset button but as soon as I restore my settings I have the same issue. Is there a way to have my settings back without restoring them manually? I can not remember them all.
Apparently this may fix it, I have not tested myself yet as time is of issue for me, I had to revert back.

"You may want to check WAN / Dual WAN (or the other location if not dual WAN" - “Network monitoring” and make sure it’s not on Ping Query and is on DNS query.

Advanced Settings > Administration > System tag > Basic Config >Network Monitoring

Please advise if this fixes your issue.

Nah. It's from Métro, and it`s a single pizza. I don`t shop at Costco or Maxi since I`m only shopping for one.
Why do I have an image of a Wizard with a pointy beard sitting in a tower, surounded by pizza boxes and computers now?

Apparently this may fix it, I have not tested myself yet as time is of issue for me, I had to revert back.

"You may want to check WAN / Dual WAN (or the other location if not dual WAN" - “Network monitoring” and make sure it’s not on Ping Query and is on DNS query.

Advanced Settings > Administration > System tag > Basic Config >Network Monitoring

Please advise if this fixes your issue.
Neither is enabled at the moment. Do I have to add something in the fields below? (Resolve Hostname/IP Addresses)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!