What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I have been following a lot of threads trying to solve my issue for a month now, but apparently I'm still stuck with it.

Issue, short description: When using AiMesh, main router eventually (within 24h) get 'stuck'. With 'get stuck' I mean it loses internet connectivity, internet red light turns on, devices already connected to wifi cannot even access router.asus.com or ping anything in the network. If I disconnect a device from WiFi I am not able to connect it again to it as it fails to finish authentication, even though wifi signal can still be detected by all devices.

When main router gets 'stuck', the only way to fix it is restarting Main router.

Restarting my ISP modem (which is in bridge mode) does not solve anything as the fiber signal is completely stable. That was kind of expect but I was running out of ideas. I can guarantee fiber signal is stable because when using only main router without AiMesh Node on, it can run solid for many days straight.

Setup:

- Fiber ISP Modem connected as Bridge to main router in WAN port.
- Main Router AX88U with latest Merlin 386.4 (the issue listed below also happened with latest Asus stock firmware), DHCP server configured here and using PPPoE.
- AiMesh Node AX88U with latest Merlin 386.4. When main router was using stock firmware, this one was also using same latest stock firmware.
- Both routers are connected using Ethernet backhaul, CAT6 cable. Connecting from port 1 from main router to WAN port in AiMesh node.

Important info here is that, when AiMesh node is not on and only main router is up, i have had a fully stable network for 10 days in a row. Both are new modems, v1.1, bought them a month ago.

What I have done until now, before and after flashing Merlin firmware.
- Hard Reset using WPS button method for erasing nvram in both routers. RMerlin has mentioned in a post around snb that this is what he does when he ever needs to erase it. If he trust it, there is no reason for me doing that through SSH or Telnet
- Installed RMerlin firmware
- Hard Reset again both routers
- Formatted JFFS in both routers
- Configured everything from scratch, just the basics.
- Temperatures seems stable after 1 hour at 2.4GHz - 48 Celsius; 5GHz - 51 Celsius; CPU - 71 Celsius
- I have already swapped both hardwares between main router and AiMesh node, but whatever is the main router, if AiMesh node is on, will eventually 'stuck' in less than 24h as described above.

A few SW Configs:
- Smart Connect is enabled
- ax mode is enabled
- WiFi Multiband is enabled
- Protected Management Frames is Capable (because of WiFi Multiband)
- WPA2 and AES only
- DHCP Server is enabled
- Forced DNS to be manual (Google's as an example)
- WAN PPPoE

Hey everyone,

I have been following a lot of threads trying to solve my issue for a month now, but apparently I'm still stuck with it.

Issue, short description: When using AiMesh, main router eventually (within 24h) get 'stuck'. With 'get stuck' I mean it loses internet connectivity, internet red light turns on, devices already connected to wifi cannot even access router.asus.com or ping anything in the network. If I disconnect a device from WiFi I am not able to connect it again to it as it fails to finish authentication, even though wifi signal can still be detected by all devices.

When main router gets 'stuck', the only way to fix it is restarting Main router.

Restarting my ISP modem (which is in bridge mode) does not solve anything as the fiber signal is completely stable. That was kind of expect but I was running out of ideas. I can guarantee fiber signal is stable because when using only main router without AiMesh Node on, it can run solid for many days straight.

Setup:

- Fiber ISP Modem connected as Bridge to main router in WAN port.
- Main Router AX88U with latest Merlin 386.4 (the issue listed below also happened with latest Asus stock firmware), DHCP server configured here and using PPPoE.
- AiMesh Node AX88U with latest Merlin 386.4. When main router was using stock firmware, this one was also using same latest stock firmware.
- Both routers are connected using Ethernet backhaul, CAT6 cable. Connecting from port 1 from main router to WAN port in AiMesh node.

Important info here is that, when AiMesh node is not on and only main router is up, i have had a fully stable network for 10 days in a row. Both are new modems, v1.1, bought them a month ago.

What I have done until now, before and after flashing Merlin firmware.
- Hard Reset using WPS button method for erasing nvram in both routers. RMerlin has mentioned in a post around snb that this is what he does when he ever needs to erase it. If he trust it, there is no reason for me doing that through SSH or Telnet
- Installed RMerlin firmware
- Formatted JFFS in both routers
- Configured everything from scratch, just the basics.
- Temperatures seems stable after 1 hour at 2.4GHz - 48 Celsius; 5GHz - 51 Celsius; CPU - 71 Celsius
- I have already swapped both hardwares between main router and AiMesh node, but whatever is the main router, if AiMesh node is on, will eventually 'stuck' in less than 24h as described above.

A few SW Configs:
- Smart Connect is enabled
- ax mode is enabled
- WiFi Multiband is enabled
- Protected Management Frames is Capable (because of WiFi Multiband)
- WPA2 and AES only
- DHCP Server is enabled
- Forced DNS to be manual (Google's as an example)
- WAN PPPoE
I'm not able to post part of my log here for some reason. But it essentially says No response to 10 echo-requests, then Serial link appears to be disconnected, Connect time 1027.6 minutes, sent 3317522811 bytes, received 2597836028 bytes, removal request for address of 186.230.221.127 23, but no knowledge of it, WAN Connection Fail to connect with some issues.

Happy New Year to all

Noticed that below are disabled on AX86U and there is no option in GUI to enable them. Is this normal ?

HW accelerationRunner: Disabled - Flow Cache: Disabled

Happy New Year to all

Noticed that below are disabled on AX86U and there is no option in GUI to enable them. Is this normal ?

AX86U and both enabled here.

This old post, the post just before it (and the thread itself) is relevant to your post above @xhenon
Thanks mate, I'm going to check it,

Regards.

Happy New Year to all

Are you using Cake by chance?

Hi

Who knows what this means in wifi ? Is that a setting?

- lowest common denominator
- MCS 7

? anyone tried it yet? does it help
Look under "Wireless", then "Professional" and you will find these settings. "MCS 7" is under "Modulation settings." By "lowest common denominator" I mean "without advanced settings enabled". This worked for me and is intended as a confirmation of the contents of RMerlins post which it directly referenced.

It is not possible to use these with Bandwidth Limiter ?

That one I don't know. But my gut tells me that if you let hardware acceleration take over, then you would loose the ability to manage bandwidth. Hopefully someone else with better knowledge will be able to answer.

Don't bet on this, since the ONLY change between beta3 and release was an amtm update...

Code:
merlin@ubuntu-dev:~/amng$ git log --oneline 386.4-beta3..386.4
912515ed43 (HEAD -> master, tag: 386.4, origin/master) Updated to 386.4 final
aa9839bff3 Updated documentation
fdb2ad0334 Merge pull request #797 from decoderman/master
dad3423195 Preparation for amtm 3.2.2 release
Yep with you 100% it makes or made no technical sense! Today...a new key fact...my wife had unplugged these two units to dust around these prephirals. Looks like on the repower up, didn't connect back to the 2.4GHz, without my later manual activity. I (jokingly to myself) thought of advising her to put in change control requests for power off/on of devices on the house intranet infrastructure. Believe it was very wise I just "zipped it", but instead thank her for house maint activties. ;-)

Thanks for those, would be interested in seeing your 5Ghz general and professional settings too please.
See attached below. I hasten to add that I am no network tech, and these settings are in no way finely tuned with purpose. But they do work well for me, and I have none of the connectivity issues I read on this thread. Having said that, my network is not complex; no Aimesh, VPN, or other things that some folks here tune their routers for.

Wireless General 5GHz.jpgWireless Professional 5GHz.jpg

I don't have load/temp issues on my test AC86U, but I'm getting similar 5GHz Wi-Fi disconnections like in beta 2 here. I left wirelessly connected laptop playing Amazon TV show for few hours and it re-connected like 5-6 times. This router was running Asuswrt 45956 for my IPv6 tests and Wi-Fi was stable to the same client. I don't know if firmware Wi-Fi drivers are different in Asuswrt.

Anyone else with AC86U and 5GHz Wi-Fi intermittent issues? Could be the client's Realtek RTL8822CE specific, not sure.

I just got home and found my wifi network was down again.
5ghz was dead, and 2.4 ghz was showing zero bars.

Not sure what to look for in the syslog, but I see things like this:
Jan 6 15:17:53 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth6: Deauth_ind 18:4E:16:47:F2:42, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:-86

A reboot always brings it back to working order.

Nah. It's from Métro, and it`s a single pizza. I don`t shop at Costco or Maxi since I`m only shopping for one.

You need to
I tried that right away, no luck. Thanks for the response though! I'll just reboot it next time I'm at the cabin

FYI, the snow and ice knocked the power out overnight at the cabin... when it rebooted I was able to login to the router remotely again with no problems ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!