What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you seen this thread:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...devices-tp-link-hs200-hs105-switch-etc.76590/

It looks like ASUS release a beta firmware on Jan 5 that address this issue with TP-Link / Kasa bulbs and switches.

I just looked at thread again and I think the beta fixes a different problem. @Sp3kt3r reported Auth / DEAUTH problems in the log (many of us are seeing dissociation / association) and that using WIFI legacy with 386.4 did not fix his issues so I suspect is problem was different.

I had issues updating from 386.3_2 to 386.4 due to usage of AiMesh Guest 1 Network for Ring Doorbells/Spotlights and other IoT "stuff". Connections to the AiMesh Router Guest Network 1 would work successfully, but was not working across the AiMesh Nodes even though it was set to be used across the nodes (all nodes with wired backhaul). This configuration was rock solid on 386.3_2. I used several different devices to determine the problem on both 2.4 and 5 GHz: Galaxy S8+, Galaxy Tab A7, HP Spectre 14 Laptop, HP Probook G1, Ring Spotlight Camera (only on 2.4 GHz). On devices I attempted access from, the message was similar: Came back as "Incorrect Password" or as "Authentication error occurred" or no error message at all - just wouldn't connect. I know AiMesh is our of RMerlin's hands, but wanted to post information to help others.

Other than the AiMesh Guest Network 1 issue, everything else is running smooth with 1 week usage of Home and Work activity (Zoom/MS Teams/Skype/etc) (work utilizes multiple VPNs depending upon access needs). Thank you for all the hard work Eric!

I tried the following scenarios (with resets/jffs reformatting/USB SSD removed as appropriate):
  • 386.3_2 dirty upgrade to 386.4 (failed)
  • 386.3_2 Complete rebuild using existing settings then flash to 386.4 (failed)
    • Just before the next step, in case of some possible issue between the RT-AX88U AiMesh Router and RT-AX86U AiMesh node, I moved the upstairs RT-AX88U AiMesh node to the Family Room instead (we have a long house and need coverage out to the garage)
  • 386.3_2 Complete rebuild M&M then flash to 386.4 (failed)
  • 386.4 Complete rebuild using existing settings (failed)
  • 386.4 Complete rebuild M&M with New SSIDs (failed)
  • 386_45934 Complete rebuild M&M with New SSIDs (Success!)
  • 386_45934 upgrade to 386.4 (Success!)
I have reconfigured wireless settings such that my devices are "happy" and added back in Diversion, Skynet, and uiDivStats now with no issues (USB SSD reformatted as well). It does appear that 386_45934 had "something" that 386.4 needed so that my configuration worked successfully. I didn't think to take a dump of NVRAM settings between the builds/rebuilds and probably should have. I did capture a failed connection (to an AiMesh Node) and a successful connection (to an AiMesh Router) from the AiMesh Router SysLog. NOTE: I didn't have radius configured, just WPA2 Personal, so not sure why it was in the log this way. MAC and HOST information omitted from the logs listed below:

Code:
Failure 386.4 (Authentication error occured msg)
------------------------------------------------

Jan  2 11:07:04 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(469): wl0.1: Deauth_ind MAC-OMITTED, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
Jan  2 11:07:04 hostapd: wl0.1: STA MAC-OMITTED IEEE 802.11: disassociated
Jan  2 11:07:04 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(469): wl0.1: Deauth_ind MAC-OMITTED, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
Jan  2 11:07:04 hostapd: wl0.1: STA MAC-OMITTED IEEE 802.11: disassociated
Jan  2 11:07:05 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): wl0.1: Disassoc MAC-OMITTED, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Jan  2 11:07:05 hostapd: wl0.1: STA MAC-OMITTED IEEE 802.11: disassociated

Success 386.4
-------------

Jan  2 11:22:45 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): wl0.1: Auth MAC-OMITTED, status: Successful (0)
Jan  2 11:22:45 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(534): wl0.1: Assoc MAC-OMITTED, status: Successful (0)
Jan  2 11:22:45 hostapd: wl0.1: STA MAC-OMITTED IEEE 802.11: associated
Jan  2 11:22:45 kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_change_station : WLC_SCB_AUTHORIZE sta_flags_mask not set
Jan  2 11:22:45 hostapd: wl0.1: STA MAC-OMITTED RADIUS: starting accounting session 26EE2ED5B4D41AB3
Jan  2 11:22:45 hostapd: wl0.1: STA MAC-OMITTED WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Jan  2 11:22:45 dnsmasq-dhcp[2401]: DHCPREQUEST(br1) 192.168.101.44 MAC-OMITTED
Jan  2 11:22:45 dnsmasq-dhcp[2401]: DHCPACK(br1) 192.168.101.44 MAC-OMITTED HOST-OMITTED
Jan  2 11:22:46 dnsmasq-dhcp[2401]: DHCPREQUEST(br1) 192.168.101.44 MAC-OMITTED
Jan  2 11:22:46 dnsmasq-dhcp[2401]: DHCPACK(br1) 192.168.101.44 MAC-OMITTED HOST-OMITTED

Normal Disconnect 386.4
-----------------------

Jan  2 11:28:38 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): wl0.1: Disassoc MAC-OMITTED, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Jan  2 11:28:38 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): wl0.1: Disassoc MAC-OMITTED, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Jan  2 11:28:38 hostapd: wl0.1: STA MAC-OMITTED IEEE 802.11: disassociated
Jan  2 11:28:38 hostapd: wl0.1: STA MAC-OMITTED IEEE 802.11: disassociated

I have attached my 2.4 GHz Wireless General and Professional Pages for those interested. The IoT devices, Ring devices especially, work BEST at 40 MHz on 2.4 GHz BUT with Modulation Scheme "Up to MCS 9 (TurboQAM/256-QAM)".

The RT-AC86U was dirty-flashed from 386.3_2 to 386.4 today with no issues noted. This is separate for Google Nest Hub (2nd Gen) and Feit Electric Smart Plugs/Smart Bulbs I use. Google Nest Hub wouldn't work on AiMesh Guest Network 1 as it likes to "see" everything on the network (and want UPnP enabled). I may move back to Echo Show devices instead as they worked fine on the AiMesh Guest Network 1, but had been trying out different scenarios for work now abandoned (at least for this month)...

Attachments

• 2 General WiFi 24.png
    2 General WiFi 24.png
    385.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 2 Professional WiFi 24.png
    2 Professional WiFi 24.png
    162.1 KB · Views: 123
So I have some good news for all those having issues with TP-LINK Smart Bulbs. Thanks to the great input from @Elmer that the KL130 bulbs have no issues, I decided to try upgrading one of my old LB110 to a KL130. KL130 bulbs work no issues with 386.4.... no more disassociation / association wifi drops. I am going to ditch all my old ones for KL130 or 135's as its just not worth waiting to see if TPLINK or ASUS develops a solution.

I'm assuming WIFI chips are better on bulbs that are 6 years newer anyones... probably was jus a matter of time before I had to upgraded them.

In your earlier screenshot you were using 149/80 which isn't in the DFS range (in the US). Now you're using 112/80 which is.
Ah I understand the distinction. I guess I took Merlin's reply, "DFS channel isn't used on the second radio.", too literally! In that it wasn't used on the second radio at all. Not that it wasn't being used on my second radio:) In either case, it still doesn't change the fact that DFS status is not being displayed for the second radio on the Wireless Log tab web page.

Ah I understand the distinction. I guess I took Merlin's reply, "DFS channel isn't used on the second radio.", too literally!
I don't think so. I don't have a tri-band router but from what I've read in these forums they didn't allow the use of the DFS channels on the second 5GHz radio. So it looks like that's changed (or I've mis-remembered).

@RMerlin It looks like the GUI is hard coded to not show the DFS status for 5GHz-2 even though @arewhy's router apparently allows it.

Last edited:
I updated a 86U no problems however........ Also using an RT AC-66U_B1 but the updater says it's the wrong hardware. I'm using the correct RT-AC68U_386.4_0. zip file. Trust me I'm double checking for correct versions. Current running 386.3_2 The extracted file is RT-AC68U_386.4_0.trx

Just upgraded my RT-AC86U.

My iOS Asus App crashed when connecting to the router after upgrade.
Removed router from app and re-added - now crashes on attempting to log in
Uninstalled/Reinstalled app and still the same

So I guess Asus need to fix the app, just wondered if I'm alone in this issue?

Asus App was updates recently. This is a new feature, I guess. :)
First time trying Asus App and it's not working at all. Uninstalled in 3 minutes.

First time trying Asus App and it's not working at all. Uninstalled in 3 minutes.
When it works it's awesome. I regularly use it to check on my network - some stuff is in the app that isn't in the web UI (like if a client is on 5Ghz-1 or 5Ghz-2 network on a AiMesh node on a til band router).

Hopefully they fix it shortly.

Hopefully they fix it shortly.

They probably will, but makes me wonder if someone actually tested this app before uploading it. Quality control?

Solved here:

Last edited:
Could be that it's changed. I've only had the GX11000 since August and the DFS option has always been there. In fact, if I set Control Channel to Auto, the "Auto select channel including DFS channels" option is automatically checked and cannot be unchecked. At any rate, as I stated earlier, it's a nit-noid issue and the workaround is to look at the low level details:)

Known issues:

• Internet reported as disconnected
    Your Internet monitoring configuration is most likely incorrect. Reset it to its default settings by running these over SSH:

Code:
    nvram set dns_probe_content="131.107.255.255 112.4.20.71 fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1"
    nvram set dns_probe_host="dns.msftncsi.com"
    nvram commit

I faced this issue and ran these commands over SSH and it does not appear to have worked. Thread here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/3...-internet-is-not-connected-on-rt-ax88u.76658/

They probably will, but makes me wonder if someone actually tested this app before uploading it. Quality control?
Could be Merlin specific. Plus they have a lot of routers on a lot of different versions to cover.

Just upgraded my RT-AC86U.

Uninstalled/Reinstalled app and still the same

So I guess Asus need to fix the app, just wondered if I'm alone in this issue?
I don't use the app much but the andriod version seems to be fine so it looks to be specific to the iOS version.

Asus IOS app working as perfectly with this update as it always has with all previous ones. All 2.4GHz connections rock solid, as are my 5GHz connections. Download/upload speeds exceed my account's specs.

Nothing else to add, but network life is super bueno here.

Asus IOS app working as perfectly with this update

Must be router specific then. I have one AC68U with 386.4, the iOS app crashes on login attempt. Anyway, uninstalled already. No intentions to flash Asuswrt today to test again. Perhaps when Asus updates the app. I just wanted to see what the app does.

Must be router specific then. I have one AC68U with 386.4, the iOS app crashes on login attempt. Anyway, uninstalled already. No intentions to flash Asuswrt today to test again. Perhaps when Asus updates the app. I just wanted to see what the app does.
App is crashing for me also on AC88U [386.4_beta3] on iOS 15.2 app opens does the spinning thing and crashes to home screen. I'll just wait for an App Update from ASUS.

App: 1.0.0.6.63 / iOS 15.2 / 11 Pro Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!