What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the good news? That you're spending money replacing your smart bulbs to accommodate a firmware update? I would try stock Asuswrt first at least.

Read thread... issues occurred both latest stock Asus firmware as well as Merlin 386.4. To me, $100 is worth not dealing with the problem anymore, chasing down a solution, and running old firmware with vulnerabilities in the meantime.

NTFS is a disk filesystem, that has nothing to do with wifi...
it's got to the ssd/nas, then. i'll detach, run a scan and revisit.
thanks

DHCP seems to have gone awry. Set the RT-AX88U to scheduled reboot which happened overnight and every device that was not using a static IP was not getting internet. They all say connected but get DNS or no internet errors when trying to do anything. All those that are static IP with custom DNS are just fine.

My iOS Asus App crashed when connecting to the router after upgrade.
Removed router from app and re-added - now crashes on attempting to log in
Uninstalled/Reinstalled app and still the same

Solved: It connects using HTTPS only!

Enable BOTH for LAN connections in Administration, System and the App will connect.

RTFM :)

Last edited:
Worth adding to this thread: I had issues with my RDP sessions that I noted earlier in this thread. I did a 2nd shot the proper way earlier today with a factory reset after the update to 386.4, and now have no issues. I keyed in my own values page by page.

For you? Or for others? I'm just trying to help keep you from parting with money. Meaning, I'm the best friend you'll ever have.

The thread doesn't matter as I can say I had MUCH better experiences now that I did a factory reset on 386.4 than before. Anyone who comments with issues, and does not explicitly state they tried a factory reset, should be dismissed outright. I hold myself to that standard.

As now that it's the weekend, I just did a factory reset and now have rock solid 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections on all my devices. While my first attempt during the workweek was a disaster.

I have never had the Asus app crash on iOS. I would try an uninstall/reinstall of the app. On Android, can't say but it should be stable with an uninstall/reinstall there as well.

A factory reset did not work for me or others (that was in the thread). Glad it worked for you.

@RMerlin It looks like the GUI is hard coded to not show the DFS status for 5GHz-2 even though @arewhy's router apparently allows it.
In the past, Asus's tri band routers limited DFS channels to only the first radio, as they split UNII-2a and UNI-2c channels between the first and second radio. If they allow the full 5 GHz spectrum on both bands now then this would be something new.

Enable BOTH for LAN connections in Administration, System and the App will connect.

I've been starting to wonder about it for a while if at some point it might not make sense to always enable both by default. But I would rather have someone figure out the https web browsing stalls issues first as I have given up years ago on figuring that one out myself.

Thanks Merlin and everyone who contributed for the hard work!
I have an AC86U with VPN setup on 386.3_2 at the moment. Is there anything else I should do after upgrading rather than power cycling the router? TiA

I've been starting to wonder about it for a while if at some point it might not make sense to always enable both by default.

It has to be enabled for who wants to use the app, no choice. Even the settings can't be changed from the app, Apply doesn't work. I had to enable both from the GUI. I didn't notice any browser issues, Chrome with certificate installed. AC68U on Asuswrt.

I already have HTTPS only, I always disable HTTP.
I also have the port changed from 8443 to 443 and have updated that in the advanced settings of the app.

So maybe you need it set to BOTH, but that’s dumb. I expect the app checks HTTP and if it’s not there crashes as someone forgot to think about the fact it might be disabled. I’ll try later and report back.

I have a script that checks (every hour) whether devices can still be reached from the router (via ping).

Lately I get multiple push notifications per day to inform me that a device (always the same, ironically the one closest to the router), connected on the 2.4 GHz band, cannot be reached. This device still shows a connected status on its screen, but it really cannot be ping’d.

I think this started with 386.4

I have a script that checks (every hour) whether devices can still be reached from the router (via ping).

Lately I get multiple push notifications per day to inform me that a device (always the same, ironically the one closest to the router), connected on the 2.4 GHz band, cannot be reached. This device still shows a connected status on its screen, but it really cannot be ping’d.

I think this started with 386.4
As a temporary solution you could have your script use wl to deauthenticate and deauthorize the device to force it to reconnect.
I had a similar issue 4-5 years ago with a pesky device that would stop responding every few days but was still associated on WiFi.

Something like;
Bash:
mac="<your mac>"
ip="<your ip>"
int="eth2" #Depending on router may be ethX or wlX.1 format
if ! ping -q -c 1 -W 1 $ip > /dev/null 2>&1;
then
    wl -i $int assoclist | grep -c "<your mac>" > /dev/null 2>&1
    #Check if it's actually associated
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        #Kick from interface
        wl -i $int deauthenticate "$mac";wl -i $int deauthorize "$mac"
        #sendEmail #function to send an alert email
    fi
fi

Last edited:
Had my entire network go down this morning. Looks like after the HDCP leases were up, devices were unable to obtain new IPs.

Is this a known issue? will this happen again in 24 h?

Clean upgrade on AX86U.
So far so good.

Had my entire network go down this morning. Looks like after the HDCP leases were up, devices were unable to obtain new IPs.

Is this a known issue? will this happen again in 24 h?
Exactly the same thing happened to me a day ago ... Worth mentioning that I did a dirty upgrade from beta3(which was only flashed a day before with a clean install method). Probably I'll do another clean install of the final version, but first I'll wait too see if this will occur again. I'll save the logs again but someone from here will have to look at them as I don't know what to look for.
Thank you all for the advice given on this forum.

Exactly the same thing happened to me a day ago ... Worth mentioning that I did a dirty upgrade from beta3(which was only flashed a day before with a clean install method). Probably I'll do another clean install of the final version, but first I'll wait too see if this will occur again. I'll save the logs again but someone from here will have to look at them as I don't know what to look for.
Thank you all for the advice given on this forum.
Mine was a dirty upgrade from 3_2, on an AC88U.

reverted back to that version.

STRANGELY, none of my DHCP items were lost, as expected by documentation.

After all the dirty upgrades I decided to do a full clean config (following the procedures as laid down by L&LD), so went through the ropes of WPS reset, nuclear reset M&M config etc. (with screenshots from the configuration this takes around 20 minutes to fully execute) Routers are stable and I got a structural lower RAM usage.

Which is the easiest way to revert to an older stable upgrade? Do i need a hard reset into a firmware upg to a old version or is there any FAQ/guide on this?

As a temporary solution you could have your script use wl to deauthenticate and deauthorize the device to force it to reconnect.
I had a similar issue 4-5 years ago with a pesky device that would stop responding every few days but was still associated on WiFi.
Thanks! Will try this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!