What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 GNUton's builds are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yes, flash both (all) nodes and apply the factory reset to both of them.
It worked, the main problem was to get the devices back to factory settings. But now everything is up and running. Only thing I can't figure out is that the node has a blue led now instead of white. Router led is still white. I have ethernet backhaul, and the connection is Great, according to the GUI. On stock firmware, a blue led indicated some activity related to the mesh system ("Ready for setup, not yet configured", to be exact, according to this page). Did @RMerlin or @GNUton change this to blue instead of white? Or is there something wrong maybe? Thanks for the help!

It worked, the main problem was to get the devices back to factory settings. But now everything is up and running. Only thing I can't figure out is that the node has a blue led now instead of white. Router led is still white. I have ethernet backhaul, and the connection is Great, according to the GUI. On stock firmware, a blue led indicated some activity related to the mesh system ("Ready for setup, not yet configured", to be exact, according to this page). Did @RMerlin or @GNUton change this to blue instead of white? Or is there something wrong maybe? Thanks for the help!
Did you use the WPS button for the reset (procedure on Asus website and here). If not please do, if so be sure to wait long enough with the button pressed. The behavior si no changed whatever the FW is.

Did you use the WPS button for the reset (procedure on Asus website and here). If not please do, if so be sure to wait long enough with the button pressed. The behavior si no changed whatever the FW is.
Hmm okay, then something must be wrong. I will try to reset the node again and see if it does anything. Not that the blue led is all that important, but on stock firmware, anything other than a white led meant something was up.
I've tried all reset methods, the official one from Asus, and the extended one I found here on the forums. The only thing that worked was to hold the reset button (not the wps button) while plugging in the power (with the power switch turned to 'on'). After that, the node and router went to first time setup mode.

RT-AX82u just updated from 386.07_2-gnuton0 to 386.07_2-gnuton1, the upgrade worked well but I have a remaining issue on this router which I had with it even on the factory firmware. Issue 1: it drops devices randomly from the internet yet stays connected to the router. Issue 2: VPN director settings fail to start the client after reboot, I have to start them manually each reboot.
I fixed the Issue 2, it was me not checking the automatic start box on the VPN Client, I claim my mistake:)

I get frequent wifi disconnections – from what I can see online this is an inherent issue with the main firmware and not a gnuton-specific problem. I just downgraded to gnuton 386.5_2, hoping it will fix the issue. Is anyone else seeing this?

I get frequent wifi disconnections – from what I can see online this is an inherent issue with the main firmware and not a gnuton-specific problem. I just downgraded to gnuton 386.5_2, hoping it will fix the issue. Is anyone else seeing this?
I experienced the same issue, in short, setting up a twice a week reboot kept me solid for almost a month but then it crashed while i was out of town and once it did that I had no way to reboot until I got home. I decided to downgrade and turned the the auto reboots off. Hopefully the next release will have this issue resolved as I like being able to use the newly approved channels for my backhaul :D

Last edited:
Hi all,

Im finding this whole thing a challenge as im not into tinkering or modding. the feature set of the asus firmware is fine for my needs, however, lately my router is going into reboot loops sometimes in the evenings and mornings. no settings have been changed which brought about this behaviour so im looking to use merlin to see if this resolves my problem but i dont fancy setting the whole thing up again.

from my understanding i can just download the merlin firmware and update using the gui? but i dont see the firmware for the asus zenwifi xt8 as per the original post.

currently my setup is one router plugged directly into the fiber and a second mesh node with 5ghz backhaul.

any assistance is greatly appreciated

Hi all,

Im finding this whole thing a challenge as im not into tinkering or modding. the feature set of the asus firmware is fine for my needs, however, lately my router is going into reboot loops sometimes in the evenings and mornings. no settings have been changed which brought about this behaviour so im looking to use merlin to see if this resolves my problem but i dont fancy setting the whole thing up again.

from my understanding i can just download the merlin firmware and update using the gui? but i dont see the firmware for the asus zenwifi xt8 as per the original post.

currently my setup is one router plugged directly into the fiber and a second mesh node with 5ghz backhaul.

any assistance is greatly appreciated
Here:

And download this file:
RT-AX95Q_386.07_2-gnuton1_cferom_puresqubi.w

Also remember to:
Factory reset --> Install new firmware --> Factory reset once new firmware installed.

Last edited:
Here:

And download this file:
RT-AX95Q_386.07_2-gnuton1_cferom_puresqubi.w

Also remember to:
Factory reset --> Install new firmware --> Factory rest once new firmware installed.

Thanks for the info

can i do a settings restore after so i dont have to setup everything again?
Also can i still use the asus app?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info

It is generally recommended that you do not restore your original setup and start setting up again from scratch. If your settings are too time-consuming then I would at least try and see if you reboot loop problem has been resolved by the firmware change (and all the resets) prior to restoring any of your previous settlings. The Asus app should continue to work as usual.

Thanks for the info

Don't, as mentioned by @Aiadi use the reset procedure, the one wih the WPS button avaialble on Asus site or in this forum worked for me. I confirm the Asus APP still working after.

Don't, as mentioned by @Aiadi use the reset procedure, the one wih the WPS button avaialble on Asus site or in this forum worked for me. I confirm the Asus APP still working after.
I actually ended up just doing a factory reset on the router and mesh node which fixed my problem.....so far. if it comes back i might give merlin a go, but i have no intention of tweaking

Just found out the XT8 can be flashed with Merlin, that's good news.

How mature is the latest stable release? Worth flashing? I'm at the latest stock FW and it works good, but Merlins stuff always seem to work better. :)

Just found out the XT8 can be flashed with Merlin, that's good news.

How mature is the latest stable release? Worth flashing? I'm at the latest stock FW and it works good, but Merlins stuff always seem to work better. :)
Go for it :). No problem so far, see my sig for running addon/fw.

After flashing 386.07_2-gnuton1 I can only add units by connecting them by cable. Not a big issue as they work wireless after being added, but are there anything that can be done about that?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!