What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 GNUton's builds are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is a fork, off of RMerlin's work. GNUton is who is officially developing it (further) for the models he supports.

I saw that, but I'm confused. Is this a new drop from Merlin, or a branch by GNuton? If it is from Merlin, why is it not on his site?

It's Merlin's firmware, but GNUton builds the firmware to support additional models. Initially he did it to support ASUS DSL-routers, then further to other models, now including the ZenWifi XT8.

PHY Rate is shown under AiMesh - Network:

View attachment 40621

The log entries are all recent and after the upgrade:

View attachment 40622

May be normal but not sure.

I always factory reset after upgrade which is why I had to add the nodes. This process had to be done manually with ethernet cable. Looks like known bug?

The logs shown maybe caused by enabling Guest Network 1 if I am not mistaken.

The logs shown maybe caused by enabling Guest Network 1 if I am not mistaken.

I get them too, and I don't have any Guest Networks enabled.
As far as I know, the error message can refer to all sorts of malformed IP-headers - it's not specific to ASUS, it's a Linux kernel message - and it may even refer to malformed datagrams from clients.

I get them too, and I don't have any Guest Networks enabled.
As far as I know, the error message can refer to all sorts of malformed IP-headers - it's not specific to ASUS, it's a Linux kernel message - and it may even refer to malformed datagrams from clients.
Same for me too, as far as I am aware I did not enable Guest Networks

It seems that the built-in TOR does not work, Turn on a specific wired MAC address, there is no Internet on this address and no longer connection with the router, fix it please

Welcome to the forums @BorisM.

You need to provide much more information about your setup before you start asking for a fix.

9614EE81-221E-4A26-B84C-A8BC0E24AD12.jpeg

From the first post on this thread.
Thanks. I see the directory of files. I’m uncertain which one to use for the XT8. I know this is probably a very easy question for advanced users - but it would be costly if I get it wrong.

View attachment 40658

Thanks. I see the directory of files. I’m uncertain which one to use for the XT8. I know this is probably a very easy question for advanced users - but it would be costly if I get it wrong.

The one with "RT-AX95Q" in the name. The file ending in ".w" is the firmware file, the one ending in ".md5" contains the MD5 hash so you can check the file was correctly downloaded.

@GNUton : flashed latest build on Asus DSL-AC68U one week ago and everything is working great. Many thanks for your awesome work mate :)

Hi,

Just wanted to say I have just dirty flashed to this build from stock version 46061 on the main XT8 router, leaving 1 other XT8 & CT8 node on stock Asus.

All nodes reconnected successfully, WAN connection came up no issue.

I checked the log by setting it to debug, but I am not seeing the errors @Dodgydrains is seeing. The PHY for backhaul is also not shown, but I have a message saying it is used for dedicated backhaul. All other interfaces are populated with values that update in refresh. Posting just in case it helps narrow down the bug search.

One thing I have noticed, the OpenVPN server was disabled on flash where as previously it was enabled. Enabling the option restored my previous options and all is good, not sure if this is by design with Merlin VPN implementation

Anyway, will give it a few more days to see if I have any more observations and report back.

Thanks for your efforts @GNUton it is really appreciated

provide much more information about your setup before you start asking for a fix.
The PC is connected to the router by wire,
in the web interface of the router(by Firefox), try turn on the "TOR" with the re-direction to the specific MAC address, after confirm "Apply" this PC is lost connect to internet and no longer open WEB GUI (192.168.50.1)

Attachments

• tor.jpg
    tor.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 162
One downside of this firmware is that if you reset router and node on an AiMesh system and start from scratch the router wont be able to detect the node and add it wirelessly. You will have to wire the node to the router to add it to the AiMesh. Other than that so far no issues. Been running it for 2 days.

I'm not seeing it on the Merlin site. Is it under stable releases or test builds?
It’s under stable builds. The RT-AX95Q is the actual product identifier for the XT8. I’m running it currently on all of my XT8 nodes and on my GT-AX11000, and everything seems rock-solid stable. Getting very good speeds and all nodes are consistently showing “great” connections with no dropouts.

One downside of this firmware is that if you reset router and node on an AiMesh system and start from scratch the router wont be able to detect the node and add it wirelessly. You will have to wire the node to the router to add it to the AiMesh. Other than that so far no issues. Been running it for 2 days.
Interesting, I didn’t find that issue myself. But then again I’ve always found the node detection upon after a full reset to be hit-or-miss. I’ve had a false start or two in the past under myriad firmwares.

So far I’ve found this release to be the most stable (and straightforward) yet. Fingers crossed!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!