What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 GNUton's builds are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

One downside of this firmware is that if you reset router and node on an AiMesh system and start from scratch the router wont be able to detect the node and add it wirelessly. You will have to wire the node to the router to add it to the AiMesh. Other than that so far no issues. Been running it for 2 days.
Same for me with the XT8. Factory rest (including WPS reset each time) and tried twice and each time had to add node manually.

Hello,
Anyone can tell me if it works "amtm" using the Merlin of Gnuton? If I acces by ssh and write "amtm" it can't find the command.
Thank you

Hello,
Anyone can tell me if it works "amtm" using the Merlin of Gnuton? If I acces by ssh and write "amtm" it can't find the command.
Thank you
Hi,

Yes it works for me on this build, have installed FlexQos using that method.

You might want to try a factory wps reset

Hi,

Yes it works for me on this build, have installed FlexQos using that method.

You might want to try a factory wps reset
Hello,
thank you for your information. Please, Can you confirm me if I do the steps correctly?
- To Activate ssh in Merlin
- To connect a usb
- To access by ssh (login/password) and write amtm.
- amtm should start

I am using this tutorial:

The first problem that I have found is that the section -->

Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs
  1. Go to Administration and select the System Tab
  2. Click 'Yes' to the 'Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs' option
--> not appear in my menu of merlin.

¿Any ideas?

This night I will try a factory wps reset.

Thank you!

One downside of this firmware is that if you reset router and node on an AiMesh system and start from scratch the router wont be able to detect the node and add it wirelessly. You will have to wire the node to the router to add it to the AiMesh. Other than that so far no issues. Been running it for 2 days.
I dont have that issue at all.. I install the firmware wirelessly during Aimesh with another XT8 and GT-AX11000. And to test it alone I also do remove node from Aimesh to see how the GUI when using Gnuton. Then I add it back by finding node wirelessly using GT-AX11000.

I dont have that issue at all.. I install the firmware wirelessly during Aimesh with another XT8 and GT-AX11000. And to test it alone I also do remove node from Aimesh to see how the GUI when using Gnuton. Then I add it back by finding node wirelessly using GT-AX11000.
It may be because your setup is different. All my devices are XT8 including the main router. You may have the GT-AX11000 as the main router, which works correctly.

Agree with Dodgydrains here.
One more thing I noticed today is that the node rebooted all of a sudden. Had that with some of the earlier FW but never on 42095. I hoped that this merlin FW fixed that... Bummer.

Agree with Dodgydrains here.
One more thing I noticed today is that the node rebooted all of a sudden. Had that with some of the earlier FW but never on 42095. I hoped that this merlin FW fixed that... Bummer.
Did you set it up after hard reset (WPS reset) to rule that out?

Hello,
thank you for your information. Please, Can you confirm me if I do the steps correctly?
- To Activate ssh in Merlin
- To connect a usb
- To access by ssh (login/password) and write amtm.
- amtm should start

I am using this tutorial:

The first problem that I have found is that the section -->

Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs
  1. Go to Administration and select the System Tab
  2. Click 'Yes' to the 'Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs' option
--> not appear in my menu of merlin.

¿Any ideas?

This night I will try a factory wps reset.

Thank you!
Hi,

Your top 4 steps are correct, although you do not need a USB drive, in fact I don't have one.

I believe it needs the 'Enable JFSS custom scripts' so if you can't switch that on its probably why it is not working.

I'd remove the USB drive reboot and see if the option is available on the GUI, if that fails I'd do the reset and maybe reapply the firmware afterwards with noting plugging into USB

Hola,

Sus 4 pasos principales son correctos, aunque no necesita una unidad USB, de hecho, no tengo una.

Creo que necesita 'Habilitar secuencias de comandos personalizadas JFSS', por lo que si no puede activarlo, probablemente sea por eso que no funciona.

Quitaría el reinicio de la unidad USB y vería si la opción está disponible en la GUI, si eso falla, haría el reinicio y tal vez volvería a aplicar el firmware después con la conexión al USB.
Hola,
Hi,

Your top 4 steps are correct, although you do not need a USB drive, in fact I don't have one.

I believe it needs the 'Enable JFSS custom scripts' so if you can't switch that on its probably why it is not working.

I'd remove the USB drive reboot and see if the option is available on the GUI, if that fails I'd do the reset and maybe reapply the firmware afterwards with noting plugging into USB
Hello,
thank you for your information!
Finally, after factory reset the option enable jffs appears and amtm run well. I only want prove cakeqos and this is included by default in merlin so it is perfect
thank you

Thanks very much for your work to add support for the XT8. I hope it solves the issues I had with stock ASUS firmware, namely a) the frequent disconnection and/or degradation of IoT-devices, and b) the drop in 5GHz-2 backhaul bandwidth after a day or so from 160 to 80MHz. I just upgraded - all went smoothly - and I'll report back in a few days.
Reporting back as promised... both nodes have been up and running for over 11 days, and not a single drop-back (from 160 to 80MHz) on the 5GHz-2 backhaul. With official ASUS-firmware, it would have happened within a couple of days. So far, no issues, no disconnects. I plan to do a full factory reset this weekend, and I'll report back how that went.

@GNUton thnks very much for your Merlin fork for the RT-AX95Q !
I installed the FW on my 3 hardwired XT8's and they work perfectly. However, one of my devices is capable of 160Mhz (2x80 channel bonding), but that is not shown in System Log - Wireless Log.
I've got approx 35-40 connected devices in total on my LAN according to Network Map, but the List of connected clients only show 11 or so. Also applies for Display low level details.
Is this a bug?

Last edited:
Same for me with the XT8. Factory rest (including WPS reset each time) and tried twice and each time had to add node manually.

I have two XT8s, I did a WPS-reset of the two, then turned off the node, then set up the router the ASUS Android-app, then when the setup got to the point of searching for and connecting nodes, I turned on the other XT8... it took a couple of minutes but the node was automatically detected and added (wireless backhaul).

Are you aware the WPS-reset on the XT8 is slightly different from other ASUS-routers, see https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1046973 ?

I have two XT8s, I did a WPS-reset of the two, then turned off the node, then set up the router the ASUS Android-app, then when the setup got to the point of searching for and connecting nodes, I turned on the other XT8... it took a couple of minutes but the node was automatically detected and added (wireless backhaul).

Are you aware the WPS-reset on the XT8 is slightly different from other ASUS-routers, see https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1046973 ?
Not sure what I am doing wrong as I tried again and had to add the nodes via ethernet.

Are you sure the main XT8 is on Merlin as well?

Not sure what I am doing wrong as I tried again and had to add the nodes via ethernet.

Are you sure the main XT8 is on Merlin as well?
Yes, both are on 386.5_2-gnuton0.
Are you setting-up the router using the app+Bluetooth? Do you try to add the node immediately (so following the SSID and security setup), or do you configure other settings on the router first? In my case, it takes a few minutes after switching on the node, then eventually the node's led starts flashing blue and the node is paired. What happens when you do it?

I set up the router via the web GUI.
The first time I tried App+Bluetooth the app could not even start the setup.

I set up the router via the web GUI.
The first time I tried App+Bluetooth the app could not even start the setup.
I suspect that changing much in the web-ui (especially WiFi settings) before initiating the mesh-connect may affect its ability to find nodes. The app with Bluetooth should just work... the phone should be very close to the router - I just set my phone on top of the router. If the app can't find the router, then use the app to scan the qr-code on the bottom of the router.

I suspect that changing much in the web-ui (especially WiFi settings) before initiating the mesh-connect may affect its ability to find nodes. The app with Bluetooth should just work... the phone should be very close to the router - I just set my phone on top of the router. If the app can't find the router, then use the app to scan the qr-code on the bottom of the router.
App still did not work, even with camera.

It automatically adds the node that came as part of the pair of XT8. The other 2 additional nodes had to be added via ethernet.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!