What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 GNUton's builds are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

App still did not work, even with camera.

It automatically adds the node that came as part of the pair of XT8. The other 2 additional nodes had to be added via ethernet.
ah, ok, well that was a tidbit of critical info you didn't provide before.

ah, ok, well that was a tidbit of critical info you didn't provide before.
The main issue is that I still cannot setup the XT8 via the App+Bluetooth. Even with qr code. Nothing I do seems to enable the app setup. With the web UI, setup is painless but have to add the additional nodes manually.

The node that comes as a pair with the one connected as the main router eventually does connect without Ethernet after about 5-10 minutes. This is without having to add it via app or web UI.

Does this support Wireguard? Asus is supposedly bringing Wireguard to AX routers this 2nd quarter of the year. But didn’t know specific routers.

Does this support Wireguard? Asus is supposedly bringing Wireguard to AX routers this 2nd quarter of the year. But didn’t know specific routers.
Not directly, although I gather modules can be loaded to do so, but configuring it is not for the faint of heart. When ASUS includes it (apparently soon), then Merlin's fw will too, and it will be configurable in the GUI, so I'm waiting for that.

Hi,

Just an update from me.

The build has been extremely stable for me and I've installed Skynet and FlexQOS.

No crashes to report, although I have done a few reboots especially around changing the log location to /tmp as seen in my other thread.

One positive side effect I have seen is the ability for my Aimesh nodes to add themselves back to the mesh after router reboot. On stock if I rebooted the main unit, I'd also need to power cycle both nodes for them to connect or they would sit with the flashing blue light, was always a dance I had to do, not sure why this works so well on this firmware as I believe that part of the code is closed source so can't imagine it has been changed.

Thanks again for the great work

Wireguard implementation (a poor one as far as I am concerned) has been out for a long time now:

Same for me unfortunately. All my Sonos devices has this issue. Roll back to 46980 and they appear again.

"this issue"... whatever that is... Neither you nor @Quan actually say exactly what problems are. Or are you expecting the rest of us to be mind-readers?

In another thread, you said you had performed a "dirty upgrade" to Merlin's fw, and Sonos could not be found, so you rolled back. Have you considered it might just be the fact that you didn't do a factory reset, as instructed? It is not ASUS firmware, it is based on it and includes enhanced functionality, so you can't expect the config-files from one to work flawlessly with the other, especially when explicitly instructed to do a hard-reset when switching between the two.

Don't blame the fw if you can't be bothered to follow the instructions.

Install the firmware, do a hard-reset as instructed, and reconfigure (i.e. don't just restore the saved config-file from the ASUS-firmware). Only then should you report back if you are having issues. And if you are expecting anyone to help, post some detailed information.

"this issue"... whatever that is... Neither you nor @Quan actually say exactly what problems are. Or are you expecting the rest of us to be mind-readers?

In another thread, you said you had performed a "dirty upgrade" to Merlin's fw, and Sonos could not be found, so you rolled back. Have you considered it might just be the fact that you didn't do a factory reset, as instructed? It is not ASUS firmware, it is based on it and includes enhanced functionality, so you can't expect the config-files from one to work flawlessly with the other, especially when explicitly instructed to do a hard-reset when switching between the two.

Don't blame the fw if you can't be bothered to follow the instructions.

Install the firmware, do a hard-reset as instructed, and reconfigure (i.e. don't just restore the saved config-file from the ASUS-firmware). Only then should you report back if you are having issues. And if you are expecting anyone to help, post some detailed information.

You have got serious anger management issues and this aggression was totally uncalled for.

You won't be seeing me again on this forum.

You have got serious anger management issues and this aggression was totally uncalled for.

You won't be seeing me again on this forum.
I think all he was possibly trying to say is best to do full factory reset before saying something does not work.

I think all he was possibly trying to say is best to do full factory reset before saying something does not work.
Indeed. Best to follow all the developer's installation instructions before complaining, in fact.
And being angry is a completely legitimate emotion in reaction to someone who knowingly chooses to ignore simple instructions then, completely unsubstantiated, criticises a developer's hard work.

Indeed. Best to follow all the developer's installation instructions before complaining, in fact.
And being angry is a completely legitimate emotion in reaction to someone who knowingly chooses to ignore simple instructions then, completely unsubstantiated, criticises a developer's hard work.
No criticism - just an observation. No more than that. If that makes you angry then I’m really sorry for you. My (and Quan’s) observations may help others having the same issue. That is the idea and concept of these forums IMO.

For someone who joined the forum 2 weeks ago you’re very “vocal”. You also did a dirty upgrade as you mentioned on the 6th.

But whatever.

Last edited:
No criticism - just an observation. No more than that. If that makes you angry then I’m really sorry for you. My (and Quan’s) observations may help others having the same issue.

For someone who joined the forum 2 weeks ago you’re very “vocal”. You also did a dirty upgrade as you mentioned on the 6th.

But whatever.
I thought you'd gone. But whatever.
You're not "sorry for me", you're passive-aggressive.
I've been on this forum for close to 10 years, but recently had to reset my login.
I knowingly and explicitly did a dirty upgrade, but didn't complain about any so-called failed firmware. Afterwards, I did a full hard-reset, which you conveniently neglect to mention. If and when I do report issues, I provide all the details. Your "observation"? ... "same issue"? You actually give zero information in your post.
You, on the other hand, are just a drive-by shooter, criticising hard and valued work on the part of the developers, and deflecting when called out on it.

Really unnecessary personal attacks aside…..

My observation (and it appears similar as Quan’s) is that doing a dirty upgrade from 46980 all my Sonos devices are no longer available on my network. A rollback and they’re available again. I have an Arc (sub + RL + RR), Beam (same config), a Roam and a Play 3. All exhibited the same behaviour so it is clearly a Sonos weirdness issue. It is not unique to this firmware.

When I have some time I will do a full WPS reset but as you point out you lose all configuration etc.

No criticism of GNUton or RMerlin is made or implied. Purely an observation and is only for the info of other forum/Google etc. users who may encounter the same issue.

Really unnecessary personal attacks aside…..

From the person who wrote, "You have got serious anger management issues", that comes across as very passive-aggressive.

My observation (and it appears similar as Quan’s) is that doing a dirty upgrade from 46980 all my Sonos devices are no longer available on my network. A rollback and they’re available again. I have an Arc (sub + RL + RR), Beam (same config), a Roam and a Play 3. All exhibited the same behaviour so it is clearly a Sonos weirdness issue. It is not unique to this firmware.

This is the first instance that you actually gave details, instead of just slagging-off the developers' work. Good.

When I have some time I will do a full WPS reset but as you point out you lose all configuration etc.

No criticism of GNUton or RMerlin is made or implied. Purely an observation and is only for the info of other forum/Google etc. users who may encounter the same issue.

You write, "no criticism of GNUton or RMerlin is made or implied", yet you write the firmware has "issues" and you had to roll back, implying it is faulty. That's criticism, and unsubstantiated to boot.

Now reset your config and report back with your findings, or depart as you promised.

I am unsure why you think you’re the opinion/decision maker why someone else‘s forum contribution is unworthy.

Many people with Sonos gear and Asus routers will know how frustrating it can be. Airtime Fairness is a common suspect:

However in this case I have Airtime Fairness off.

A quick Google will show multiple threads (even on this forum) with Sonos not working with various firmwares

Last edited:
I am unsure why you think you’re the opinion/decision maker why someone else‘s forum contribution is unworthy.
More deflection and passive-aggressiveness.

Many people with Sonos gear and Asus routers will know how frustrating it can be. Airtime Fairness is a common suspect:

However in this case I have Airtime Fairness off.

A quick Google will show multiple threads (even on this forum) with Sonos not working with various firmwares

Excellent, more useful info. But have you done a hard-reset yet? In the time you've spent replying, you could have done it twice.

Will the Gnuton firmware could improve my openvpn speed? Actually with the Asuswrt firmware my speed is reduced by half with openvpn (from 100 Mbps to 45mbps).

I tried yesterday to install gnuton firmware but I was unable to connect to the internet and I couldn't get it back even reinstalling asuswrt firmware so I had to go a factory restore to be able to use the router again. Maybe a problem with dns o ddns options.

Will the Gnuton firmware could improve my openvpn speed? Actually with the Asuswrt firmware my speed is reduced by half with openvpn (from 100 Mbps to 45mbps).

I tried yesterday to install gnuton firmware but I was unable to connect to the internet and I couldn't get it back even reinstalling asuswrt firmware so I had to go a factory restore to be able to use the router again. Maybe a problem with dns o ddns options.
I doubt it will significantly improve the openvpn speed over asuswrt firmware. I used to run it on Merlin, but didn't notice any big improvement to speak of.
I now run openvpn on my Synology NAS instead (with port-forwarding from the router), and that performs quite well - the CPU and memory of the NAS are better than those of the router. That said, Wireguard VPN is coming 'soon' to asuswrt and Merlin, and that performs significantly better than openvpn... I expect to switch when it becomes available/stable (either on ASUS or Synology).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!