What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 GNUton's builds are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Reporting back as promised... both nodes have been up and running for over 11 days, and not a single drop-back (from 160 to 80MHz) on the 5GHz-2 backhaul. With official ASUS-firmware, it would have happened within a couple of days. So far, no issues, no disconnects. I plan to do a full factory reset this weekend, and I'll report back how that went.
Reporting back...
The factory reset went fine, and the node was automatically detected and added to the mesh (wireless backhaul). I re-configured as I had for the official ASUS-firmware, with 3 exceptions: I left the 5GHz-2
channel selection on "auto", the 5GHz-2 bandwidth on "20/40/80/160" and the backhaul preference on "auto" (though I only have a wireless backhaul). After a few days, the 5GHz-2 bandwidth dropped below 160GHz and the AiMesh connection quality showed "weak".

So I changed the 5GHz-2 channel selection to 108, the bandwidth to 160 and the preference to "5G WiFi first". It's now been running for over 9 days without dropping once, connection quality constantly shows "great".

In conclusion, the problem of the dropping bandwidth with certain settings is still present in this firmware, but these settings 'fix' it for me. I suspect it had to do with the auto channel selection, possibly having problems during a scan for radar.

RMerlin isn't (and to be clear, the next build for all models will likely be 386.7 Alpha), so how can @GNUton be?

Just wanted to say just switch ISP and the swap went flawless, Also why is this thread not linked to the main thread, or pined?

Hey yall! First off I want to say a huge thank you to @GNUton and @RMerlin. You guys do fantastic work, and you've helped my XT8s go from "I'm definitely going to return these" to "these are actually pretty stable".

I have had a couple of moments of weirdness in the past few days. Certainly not blaming it on the firmware, but posting here since I'm on 386.5_2-gnuton0. Curious if anybody has any input:
-For some reason, PHY/data rate for the node (I have 1 router XT8 and 1 node XT8) always reads as zero. I did a factory reset after flashing Merlin/gnuton, and devices are connected to the node and running at seemingly full speed, but the stats seem to show no connectivity, and it stays this way even after a soft reboot.
1652708894157.png

-A few days back, I ran into a strange issue where downloading anything on a client connected to the node (aka putting the client/node under any significant load) caused the client to lose internet. Other devices connected to the node stay connected just fine. A quick toggle off/on of the wifi driver on the client brought back connectivity, but again any load would cause a disconnect. I could do it on demand just by using speedtest.net to cause the disconnect to happen. I was able to cause this to happen on multiple different client for about 15-20 minutes before things went back to normal. Any idea what was going on here?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey yall! First off I want to say a huge thank you to @GNUton and @RMerlin. You guys do fantastic work, and you've helped my XT8s go from "I'm definitely going to return these" to "these are actually pretty stable".

I have had a couple of moments of weirdness in the past few days. Certainly not blaming it on the firmware, but posting here since I'm on 386.5_2-gnuton0. Curious if anybody has any input:
-For some reason, PHY/data rate for the node (I have 1 router XT8 and 1 node XT8) always reads as zero. I did a factory reset after flashing Merlin/gnuton, and devices are connected to the node and running at seemingly full speed, but the stats seem to show no connectivity, and it stays this way even after a soft reboot.
View attachment 41277

This is a known bug. I can't point you in the direction of a bug-report, but this has been experienced and confirmed by more users. However, in the System Log / Wireless Log, you should see all the right bandwidths/throughputs reported for the node (in my case, "4 (ax) 160MHz" and "2161 / 2594 Mbps").

-A few days back, I ran into a strange issue where downloading anything on a client connected to the node (aka putting the client/node under any significant load) caused the client to lose internet. Other devices connected to the node stay connected just fine. A quick toggle off/on of the wifi driver on the client brought back connectivity, but again any load would cause a disconnect. I could do it on demand just by using speedtest.net to cause the disconnect to happen. I was able to cause this to happen on multiple different client for about 15-20 minutes before things went back to normal. Any idea what was going on here?

Thanks!

I've not seen this kind of thing happening in the month-and-a-half I've been using this firmware on my XT8s. Can you provide more details on the client? (e.g. type, OS+version etc.). I'm wondering if it may have to do with band-switching (either in the XT8 mesh via smartconnect, or on the device itself)... For example, is the device on 2.4GHz at first, then switches to 5GHz after starting speedtest.net? In which case, it might be that the device is unable to handle one of your 5GHz settings... (in which case you could create a guest 2.4GHz SSID and lock the device on that).

This is a known bug. I can't point you in the direction of a bug-report, but this has been experienced and confirmed by more users. However, in the System Log / Wireless Log, you should see all the right bandwidths/throughputs reported for the node (in my case, "4 (ax) 160MHz" and "2161 / 2594 Mbps").
Thanks for pointing me in this direction- it's an even better way to get a glance at how your node is doing IMO.

I've not seen this kind of thing happening in the month-and-a-half I've been using this firmware on my XT8s. Can you provide more details on the client? (e.g. type, OS+version etc.). I'm wondering if it may have to do with band-switching (either in the XT8 mesh via smartconnect, or on the device itself)... For example, is the device on 2.4GHz at first, then switches to 5GHz after starting speedtest.net? In which case, it might be that the device is unable to handle one of your 5GHz settings... (in which case you could create a guest 2.4GHz SSID and lock the device on that).
Sure! Both clients that I verified this happening were 2014 Macbook Pros running the latest possible OS. I do have Smart Connect enabled (with dedicated 5Ghz-2 wireless backhaul), but both Macs were connected to 5Ghz before, during, and after the connection drop. In any case, they both started working okay after the node reset itself (I assume that's what happened- the node just suddenly went to 0 clients and then clients started connecting again). Was strange, but I haven't seen an issue in the days since, but I was more curious if these symptoms/issues sounded familiar to anyone.

Thanks for pointing me in this direction- it's an even better way to get a glance at how your node is doing IMO.

Indeed, because you can see if your node drops from 160 MHz with 4 antennae to 80 with 2. :)

Sure! Both clients that I verified this happening were 2014 Macbook Pros running the latest possible OS. I do have Smart Connect enabled (with dedicated 5Ghz-2 wireless backhaul), but both Macs were connected to 5Ghz before, during, and after the connection drop. In any case, they both started working okay after the node reset itself (I assume that's what happened- the node just suddenly went to 0 clients and then clients started connecting again). Was strange, but I haven't seen an issue in the days since, but I was more curious if these symptoms/issues sounded familiar to anyone.

It certainly doesn't sound familiar to me, although I have no Macs to test with.

To track down the cause, I would start by disabling smartconnect, and 'binding' the clients to a particular node (whichever one they are on at the time). Also, under AiMesh / System Settings, block the two clients from roaming. Then retry to see if the problem recurs.

Indeed, because you can see if your node drops from 160 MHz with 4 antennae to 80 with 2. :)
Yep, I can see that I have the dropping issue, so I'm going to try to get to the bottom of that as well :) Starting with your suggested settings provided above!

It certainly doesn't sound familiar to me, although I have no Macs to test with.

To track down the cause, I would start by disabling smartconnect, and 'binding' the clients to a particular node (whichever one they are on at the time). Also, under AiMesh / System Settings, block the two clients from roaming. Then retry to see if the problem recurs.
These are great tips, and ones that I will definitely try if the issue comes back. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue in the past few days, but I will definitely work through these steps if the opportunity arises. Thanks.

Hi I have notice a problem with the latest firmware 386.5_2-Guton0. for my DSL AX82U.
If I disable the LED's via the web UI they turn off, But I can not turn them back on, unless I reboot the router. I first notice the problem using the LED Controls in the AMTM.
I did think it may be a LED Control problem, so I then removed the script then rebooted and tried the above.
Originally I posted here:- LED Control not switching router LED's back on

Also Clearing the logs is not working.

Also notice that if I use the web UI to turn off the LED's it wont turn on but if I reboot i get them to return with my colour and profile, If I unplug for 5 min then restart all LED's have been reset to default colour and profile

Useing the asus mobile app,I can turn the LEDs on and off fine. Notice it's different code.
Code:
May 17 22:06:27 rc_service: ledg 1347:notify_rc restart_ledg
May 17 22:06:27 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart ledg)
May 17 22:06:27 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event-end (args: restart ledg)
Has a g after the reset led
Where when done vis the ui its reset leds

Think I found a 5ghz wifi problem if I set bandwith 40 or 160mhz, nothing is connecting via smart connect. If I set to 20 or 80mhz there no problem this is on channel 100, also I can not go over channel 140, think they was up to 161?

It's not for me, as I've said above. If you want a video can do one. Its switching off via the ui but not turning back on unless I reboot.

Last edited:
What I'll do tomorrow is, If it will help. I will hard reset via holding the WPS, then re flash your fw again, then factory restore with Initialize ticked, then see if it works?

What I'll do tomorrow is, If it will help. I will hard reset via holding the WPS, then re flash your fw again, then factory restore with Initialize ticked, then see if it works?
May be helpful if anything goes wrong but normaly a flash+WPS reset is enough. With no restore of previous backup but only manual setting.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!