What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything ok with 386.5, one thing I found :
Can't change SSH in Administration from LAN to LAN/WAN, when saving and refresh page it is back to LAN.
Will do via nvram now.
I believe that's a feature of Skynet. It won't let you choose WAN for security reasons.

Your DNS problem is most likely your using DNSSEC to Google upstream resolvers. You will have better reliability just using DoT without DNSSEC. You might do better with another DNS resolver such as Quad9.

I have seen several DNS failure reports with 386.5 and AX86U routers. I have not experienced repeated DNS failures. Occasionally DNS does hang for a second or two but it is no worse than when I was on DSL with no DoT/ DNSSEC. I do not use the DNSSEC from the Merlin GUI which is handeled by dnsmasq. I use Stubby, with a stubby.postconf file, to enable DNSSEC and disable round_robin_upstreams.
I've had "mild" DNS issues on 386.5. I skipped 386.4 b/c of known dnsmasq issues. I use the integrated stubby/dnsmasq and need to reboot the router about every 7-10 days to "get DNS working again" I'll capture the stubby stream the next time before I reboot it. The last "super stable" version was ~ 386.3_2 which went for months with no, "DNS is not resolving again..." yells at home. Just confirming this post above... I also reverted to using Cloudflare + QUAD9 as resolvers b/c NextDNS just seem to make the reboots even more frequent. Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.

I believe that's a feature of Skynet. It won't let you choose WAN for security reasons.
Fixed it.
Settings menu 11 and then 8 disable security
Secure Mode from Skynet disables SSH and Web GUI access from the WAN interface I found. I've enable LAN&WAN and only allow 1 ip external, so for me it is solved.

Hi everyone,

I upgraded my AX-58u to Merlin 386.5 (dirty) again and so far everything was running stable but I am getting intermittent loss of Internet or WiFi. I checked the logs and apparently my stock firmware AX-55U router was unable to authenticate itself with my AX-58u router as an Aimesh node. I noticed others are having the same problem but not everyone. Has anyone figured out why 386.5 is having this issue with their Aimesh nodes? If so, has anyone found a solution besides reverting to 386.4?

Dirty upgrade to 386.5_0 with intermittent loss of Internet or WiFi isn't 'running stable'.

A full reset to factory defaults (after flashing 386.5_0) is suggested (in your case).

need to reboot the router about every 7-10 days to "get DNS working again"

Perhaps Asuswrt upstream bug. I have a buddy with AC86U on 386_46092 with the same issue. No DoT is the temp fix for now. Unfortunately, I can't replicate the issue on my AC86U. It's not up long enough or doesn't have enough clients/traffic to reveal what is happening.

Everything ok with 386.5, one thing I found :
Can't change SSH in Administration from LAN to LAN/WAN, when saving and refresh page it is back to LAN.
Will do via nvram now.
Huge security risk! Use a OpenVPN to connect to router from WAN instead.

Dirty upgrade to 386.5_0 with intermittent loss of Internet or WiFi isn't 'running stable'.

A full reset to factory defaults (after flashing 386.5_0) is suggested (in your case).
Is there a way to backup and restore my settings and custom installs?

Reactions: RAJ
After uploading the latest firmware my "System Log - General Log" in the UI section is empty no matter what log level I set.
Tried to reboot several times but nothing changed.

Any help plz?

I'm having this exact same problem. No matter what level I set it always is empty/clear. It's not until I click the "Clear" button or "Apply" button that stuff starts showing up. I have a lot of settings and haven't really done a factory reset. Is anyone else having this issue or have a fix for it?

@technofox01, yes of course there is. Right within the GUI.

However, that would negate the reset to factory defaults that is needed after flashing to RMerlin firmware from stock.

RMerlin

Due to the discovered vulnerability CVE-2022-0778, do you plan to update the firmware with the new OpenSSL?
Fixed in OpenSSL 1.1.1n, and RMerlin has merged 1.1.1n into the repository 21 hours ago.

Sometimes I marvel at how quickly the project responds to real security threats, while the so-called security threats discussed on forums are usually just some kind of lurid threat theory, such as aiprotection not safe. Thanks to RMerlin for the low-key and important work.

edit:

Although RMerlin has merged the latest patched code in time, we still have to wait for the next firmware release, or you need to download the repository, build the build environment, compile the firmware yourself, which is very cumbersome and many people can't be done that, So I'm promoting an automated compilation proposal based on GitHub Actions, which will allow you to complete the entire firmware compilation process in a few mouse clicks on GitHub and download the latest compiled firmware. Read more and support implementing it: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/request-compile-firmware-using-github-actions.77934/

Last edited:
I have two Asus routers AC68U with Tomato and AX68s Merlin.
I'm testing this routers with an USB LTE modem (Huawei 3372).
When I use this modem with AX86S Merlin fw the upload is very poor compare to AC68U with Tomato.
I like this new router (AX86S) but I don't know why has very poor upload with Merlin fw?
Thank you!

Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 is now available. This release introduces support for the RT-AC68U_V4 and GT-AXE11000 (both were originally planned for 386.4, but wifi issues with their GPLs forced both to be delayed to this release). This also merges with Asus's 386_46065 GPL code, and fixes a few issues.

The highlights of this release:

• Merged with GPL 386_46065 (note that a number of its security fixes were already present in 386.4)
  • Added support for the RT-AC68U V4. Just like with the original Asus firmware, support is implemented in a combined firmware image that supports both the older and newer models. That image might not work properly however when using Firmware Recovery Mode, in which case people should use a version older than 386.5.
  • Added support for the GT-AXE11000 (without its ROG UI or VPN Fusion).
  • Fixes issues related to the Trend Micro BWDPI engine on the RT-AX68U and RT-AX86U.
  • Dnsmasq was reverted back to 2.85 in an attempt to improve its stability
  • Avahi was updated to 0.8, and a few additional fixes were backported.
  • Miniupnpd was upgraded to 2.3.0.
  • Fixed netatalk failing to load its modules, which was breaking Time Machine
  • A number of fixes and improvements were implemented in Traditional QoS
  • And a few other minor fixes and improvements, please view the changelog for more details

Please keep discussions in this thread on this specific release. General support requests should be posted in a separate thread.

This thread will be locked once the post-release feedback has quieted down.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.
I cannot disable WiFi 6 (160Mhz) on AX11000. Tried everything. Half of my devices cannot detect the 5Ghz band. This is a no-go for me.

I cannot disable WiFi 6 (160Mhz) on AX11000. Tried everything. Half of my devices cannot detect the 5Ghz band. This is a no-go for me.
Not had any issues with 5ghz on my AX11000 with Merlin Firmware. I am using two XT8s in AiMesh also without issue. The only bug I can see is WiFi Site Survey is not working - only showing the routers channel.

Make sure you use a channel that's commonly available to all of your devices. Many devices for instance do not support DFS channels.

Make sure you use a channel that's commonly available to all of your devices. Many devices for instance do not support DFS channels.
on 386.3_2 and earlier, I could disable WiFi 6.
I'm actually saying I've tried 50x but cannot disable it.
I've saved the setting 50x and it keeps showing "on".

on 386.3_2 and earlier, I could disable WiFi 6.
I'm actually saying I've tried 50x but cannot disable it.
I've saved the setting 50x and it keeps showing "on".
sounds like you may need a hw reset before trying again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!