What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having an issue with Guest Networks. #1 works fine, but both #2 and #3 have no internet access when connected. I have tried multiple authentication methods and everything can connect just fine except no internet on Guest networks #2 and #3. I'm running 386.5_2 on my RT-AX58U,

Trying to upgrade from Merlin 386.4 to 386.5_2. Keep getting this error. Have confirmed that I downloaded the right file - for RT-AC3100. Have tried the upgrade several times, same error every time. First time I've ever seen this.
ASUS update error.JPG

Been having some DNS weirdness since the upgrade, the rebuilding of the config - after redoing everything and making sure the devices in question we set with Static IP's to avoid the DHCP range. Couldn't get connected to anything external from anything. I thought Skynet, YazDHCP, but nope. I turned on extend/spoof TTL at some point. Turns out if extending / spoofing the TTL value under WAN / Internet connection was partly responsible - I turned it on and could not connect to anything external from Internal, disabling those brought it back. IP wise I could ping addresses not names. The original cause of the weirdness, not sure but the device in question was set for DHCP when it should've been static - but that really can't be it as the wired devices were working but would fail randomly. Going to try and recreate this original issue. Curious about what happens when you enable those two parameters - weirdness is my technical term for weird / random connectivity issue that I can't recreate reliably...

Come to think of it, when the device went to renew its IP might account for it, even though I set up a manual address assignment - it's late and I'm rambling, but after removing and setting the device to a static IP things seem stable now

Trying to upgrade from Merlin 386.4 to 386.5_2. Keep getting this error. Have confirmed that I downloaded the right file - for RT-AC3100. Have tried the upgrade several times, same error every time. First time I've ever seen this.
View attachment 40505
Have you tried deleting the firmware download, and then redownloading it?

View attachment 40505
upload the correct firmware with a cable connection to the Asus router.

Have you tried deleting the firmware download, and then redownloading it?
Yes, tried that. Even tried downloading from the mirror site instead.

Last edited:
upload the correct firmware with a cable connection to the Asus router.
This computer actually IS ethernet cable connected to the router - using Powerline Ethernet adapters, but that shouldn't make a difference?

Last edited:
View attachment 40505
Had the same first ever issue with my RT-AC3100 (AIMesh Hub) upgrading from 385.5_1 beta (?) to 385.5_2 last week, after successfully upgraded 2 AC68 nodes. I double checked. I did have the correct download.
Tried again 2 days later with a new download. It worked. I have deleted the old files however.

This computer actually IS ethernet cable connected to the router - using Powerline Ethernet adapters, but that shouldn't make a difference?
I have no experience with those. A powerline adapter is an in-between. I suggest trying a direct cable connection

If you have access to a Linux computer (maybe even a Raspberry Pi)?
And you're comfortable enough with using SSH + a Terminal Session.
You could, perhaps try an SSH Flash...

1. Use "scp" to transfer the .trx file to the router's /tmp directory
(Note: you obviously would have to change the following: username & ip-address)
# scp RT-AC3100_386.5_2.trx admin@1.2.3.4:/tmp

2. Login to the remote router using 'ssh' and update the firmware via the CLI
# ssh admin@1.2.3.4
# cd /tmp
# /sbin/mtd-write2 RT-AC3100_386.5_2.trx linux

3. When that completes...
# reboot now

Before trying the somewhat dangerous method of direct writing via an SSH session, try flashing one more time via the GUI directly wired to that device, after a fresh reboot and also after removing any attached USB drives. The method of direct flashing via the SSH session should really only be used as last resort, not casually, as it may bypass some of the checks that keep you from writing the wrong (or corrupted) firmware file.

Before trying the somewhat dangerous method of direct writing via an SSH session, try flashing one more time via the GUI directly wired to that device, after a fresh reboot and also after removing any attached USB drives. The method of direct flashing via the SSH session should really only be used as last resort, not casually, as it may bypass some of the checks that keep you from writing the wrong (or corrupted) firmware file.
Fair point... I suppose I should have prefaced my previous instructions with...
After downloading & expanding the compressed files, be sure to verify the file (before flashing) via:
# sha256sum -c sha256sum.sha256

Note: as long as the *.trx file and checksum-file are in the same directory, the above command should work.

Due to the recent security issue at this FW Release:
Full Factory Default completed on both Main/AP.
Screen Shots had been taken for "settings", and manually entered. Changed PWs, but not ssids.
To confirm, my TM sig updated to latest, no issues.
My LAN/WAN are working Great!

View attachment 40505
remove your usb stick, and reboot the router then and try reuploading the firmware again.

My journey to 5.2 was after I was out and noticed that openVPN was not connecting.

When I got home i found my main box an ax88u in a default configuration so decided to update to 5.2.

Smooth sailing from here on.

IPV6 passthrough was working fine after dirty.
I just did a reset on everything and now it does not work.

Edit: <Fixed had to stop and restart unbound now its working>

Last edited:
For some reason, these lines start appearing in the logs just today
Code:
Apr  4 08:55:56 RT-AC86U-7510 conn_diag[2099]: CONNDIAG: ********** detect wireless clients:
Apr  4 08:56:18 RT-AC86U-7510 conn_diag[2099]: CONNDIAG: main_detect: mode = 1.
Apr  4 08:56:18 RT-AC86U-7510 conn_diag[2099]: CONNDIAG: ********** detect wireless clients:
Apr  4 08:56:29 RT-AC86U-7510 conn_diag[2099]: CONNDIAG: main_detect: mode = 1.
Apr  4 08:56:29 RT-AC86U-7510 conn_diag[2099]: CONNDIAG: ********** detect wireless clients:
Any idea what is this about and/or how to disable this?

I'm having an issue with Guest Networks. #1 works fine, but both #2 and #3 have no internet access when connected. I have tried multiple authentication methods and everything can connect just fine except no internet on Guest networks #2 and #3. I'm running 386.5_2 on my RT-AX58U,

With this upgrade `386.5_2` I too am having issues with the Guest network. Fresh install on RT-AC68U. Though, I cannot compare to any other recent version as my last version was about 2 years old.

Issue: connection attempts to the guest network fail from all clients.

The only way I have been able to connect to the guest network is to toggle `Access Intranet: Enable` and install YazFi to setup the Guest network. This is the only addon installed, but with it installed and enabled, Guest network now works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!