What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.6 is now available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Investigating the AX6000 GUI, I noticed the speed test. Remembering the old thread regarding the router speed test, I was surprised (Happily) to get the following:
Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 08-48-28 ASUS Wireless Router GT-AX6000 - Internet Speed.png

Investigating the AX6000 GUI, I noticed the speed test. Remembering the old thread regarding the router speed test, I was surprised (Happily) to get the following:
View attachment 41030
1Gbps/35Mbps Spectrum like I have? Seeing almost identical results here...

@L&LD @visortgw
I never did a router speed test before yesterday (nor since), due to the cpu constraints.
I failed to state I have 1Gbps/40Mbps speed from isp (xfinity).

Last edited:
RMerlin fw and this router are working so well, that I'm looking at running my vpn server on the router (I was using Wireguard on PiVPN). I'm currently reading the Forums, regarding OpenVPN and RMerlin's VPN Director, so stay tuned for ridiculously noob questions (in the appropriate forum).

Last edited:
RMerlin fw and this router are working so well, that I'm looking at running my vpn server on the router (I was using Wireguard on PiVPN). I'm currently reading the Forums, regarding OpenVPN and RMerlin's VPN Director, so stay tuned for ridiculously noob questions (in the appropriate forum).
OpenVPN server/client and VPN Director work great together. I use them to connect to/from a distant site, but at the same time control which devices (using static IPs) can/cannot access resources on either end. Rather simple to configure, and the possibilities are endless.

OpenVPN server/client and VPN Director work great together. I use them to connect to/from a distant site, but at the same time control which devices (using static IPs) can/cannot access resources on either end. Rather simple to configure, and the possibilities are endless.
Good to know. Could you please confirm whether the router's own IP needs to be excluded from the the OpenVPN client tunnel if the OpenVPN server is to be accessible from WAN (i.e. if wanting to remotely connect to the VPN server whilst the VPN client on the router is also active at the same time)?

Good to know. Could you please confirm whether the router's own IP needs to be excluded from the the OpenVPN client tunnel if the OpenVPN server is to be accessible from WAN (i.e. if wanting to remotely connect to the VPN server whilst the VPN client on the router is also active at the same time)?
I have not excluded router IP, and OpenVPN server is accessible from WAN.

Asuswrt-Merlin 386.6 is now available, specifically for the new models that were added to the supported list with this release: the GT-AX6000, and the Zen WiFi Pro XT12.

Summary of changes:
  • Merged with GPL 386_47885
  • Added support for the ZenWiFi Pro XT12
  • Added support for the GT-AX6000 (with the non-ROG webui and without VPNFusion, like other supported ROG models)
  • Added new IPv6 options to OpenVPN servers, allowing to disable/enable IPv6 support, and also to enable NAT (allowing remote clients to also redirect their IPv6 Internet traffic through their router's OpenVPN server
  • Updated components: wget (1.21.3), dropbear (2022.82)
  • Allow requesting bigger IPv6 subnets from your ISP
  • Fixed Traditional QoS download traffic limited by upstream bandwidth

Please consult the Changelog for the complete list of changes.

Please keep discussions in this thread on the topic of this release and these two new models. This thread will be locked after a while once the release feedback has quieted down.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.
Leaped right to supporting the XT12! Any chance of Xt8 support?

The ZenWiFi AX with XT8's is already supported by GNUton's Asuswrt build:

Here is a couple of pictures (30-day and 24-hour histories) that clearly illustrates the benefit of moving to the GT-AX6000 with its 2.5 Gbps WAN and LAN ports. In the 30-day image, The first jump is when I migrated from RT-AX86U (2.5 Gbps WAN only) to the GT-AX6000, and the second jump is when I moved from a TRENDnet unmanaged 2.5 Gbps switch to the TP-Link TL-SG3210XHP-M2 managed switch ((2) 10 Gbps SFP+ ports plus (8) 2.5 Gbps RJ45 ports), any of which properly forwards VLAN tags for guest network 1 to the four AiMesh nodes). Both latency and jitter have improved significantly as well.

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 07.54.29.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 08.03.43.png

JFFS backup/restore wasn't working on these two models. Fixed.
Somehow after a second reboot today my gtax6000 is defaulting to the setup wizard everytime i go to my router admin page, any ideas how that happened and whats wrong? All my wifi networks still work and it seems like its going with all the settings i had setup the router with. Its just now defaulting to the router setup wizard and im afraid to go through that process in case it messes with something since its still broadcasting my wifi networks

Try clearing your browser cache, and/or use another browser.

Ever since being on 386.6 I've had these kind of small issues here and there where I've felt like the firmware is not so stable, guess it finally crapped out on me today lol

Did you do a full reset after flashing 386.6_0 final on it?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!