What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.6 is now available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OpenVPN GT-AX6000 386.6 vs RT-AX88U 386.5.2 CPU & AES HW crypto performance improvement.

NordVPN is approx 50-100mbps faster on the GT box.

Anyone considering the GT-AX6000 (but still on the fence...), Newegg.com (USA) currently has it for $350 plus $40 off promo (code EREBS2326), bringing it down to $310 with free shipping. Mine was worth every penny of the $400 I paid for it, so $310 is an outrageous bargain.

Anyone considering the GT-AX6000 (but still on the fence...), Newegg.com (USA) currently has it for $350 plus $40 off promo (code EREBS2326), bringing it down to $310 with free shipping. Mine was worth every penny of the $400 I paid for it, so $310 is an outrageous bargain.
I was waiting for this model to be discounted again and just saw that Amazon matched B&H (again), and was about to place my order there, but Newegg's $40 off code makes this an even better deal... so I just placed it at Newegg. Thanks! :)

It looks like that deal is over.
Price is back to $399 and the promo code no longer works.

Amazon and B&H are still at $350. Possibly Memorial Day Sale prices?

OpenVPN GT-AX6000 386.6 vs RT-AX88U 386.5.2 CPU & AES HW crypto performance improvement.

NordVPN is approx 50-100mbps faster on the GT box.
Sorry for off-topic but what is the maximum Nord VPN speed on GT box?
I have up to 600mbs on win11 computer with Nord Lynx protocol.

Last edited:
Drat, the AX6600 covers most my home except for one main spot downstairs. If only the XD6 came in a single pack or something (and at a reasonable price).

VPN speed should max out around 300Mbps or slightly above.

Thanks for the VPN numbers. Really really tempted now. AX88 seems to max out around 200ish for me on a 1gb symmetrical line, and I haven't had the willpower to move to PFsense, so the GT might be a fair stop gap. Much to consider....

VPN speed should max out around 300Mbps or slightly above.
Closer to 240 Mbps. You ain't getting a 50% speed gain by having only a 10% clock increase...

Hello, thank you for developing merlin firmwares. I have a RT-AX88U with merlin for astrill vpn and it works well. Recently, I bought a GT-AX6000 and applied merlin 386.6_0 on it to install astrill vpn. However, when I ran the installation command eval 'wget -q -O - http://astroutercn.com/router/install/{some numbers of the account}', the terminal says "Installing Astrill VPN binary... failed", and the VPN can't work. I tried contact the Astrill customer survice, they don't know how to solve this problem. I tried reinstall firmware or restore to factory default settings, it doesn't work. I repeated the same operations on my RT-AX88U and it works fine. So, there may be something different in my GT-AX6000 from my RT-AX88U that prevent the installation of VPN. I noticed that the "Format JFFS partition at next boot" option is not displayed in the webpage of GT-AX6000, it is required in the instruction of installation of Astrill vpn. The "df -h" of GT-AX6000 does look different than that of RT-AX88U". Could that be the reason of fail of installation? I'm not very familiar of the hardware and software of router. I'm in China, the Astrill vpn router seems to be the only stable VPN option for out office. So, if it is a firmware problem, I wish the merlin team could fix it. If it is the hardware of GT-AX6000 is incompatiable with Astrill vpn, I will change other routers. Thank you.

Hello, thank you for developing merlin firmwares. I have a RT-AX88U with merlin for astrill vpn and it works well. Recently, I bought a GT-AX6000 and applied merlin 386.6_0 on it to install astrill vpn. However, when I ran the installation command eval 'wget -q -O - http://astroutercn.com/router/install/{some numbers of the account}', the terminal says "Installing Astrill VPN binary... failed", and the VPN can't work. I tried contact the Astrill customer survice, they don't know how to solve this problem. I tried reinstall firmware or restore to factory default settings, it doesn't work. I repeated the same operations on my RT-AX88U and it works fine. So, there may be something different in my GT-AX6000 from my RT-AX88U that prevent the installation of VPN. I noticed that the "Format JFFS partition at next boot" option is not displayed in the webpage of GT-AX6000, it is required in the instruction of installation of Astrill vpn. The "df -h" of GT-AX6000 does look different than that of RT-AX88U". Could that be the reason of fail of installation? I'm not very familiar of the hardware and software of router. I'm in China, the Astrill vpn router seems to be the only stable VPN option for out office. So, if it is a firmware problem, I wish the merlin team could fix it. If it is the hardware of GT-AX6000 is incompatiable with Astrill vpn, I will change other routers. Thank you.
The GT-AX6000 is quite different from the RT-AX88U. It has a different architecture, and newer Linux kernel among other things. It will be up to them to make any necessary change to their installer to make their application compatible with this new platform.

You can simply not use their application, and manually configure the OpenVPN client instead.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!