What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 is now available for all Gnuton's models too

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

386.07_2-gnuton1 is a very solid build on my TUF-AX5400. Very stable over 3 weeks with no debug entries in the log file. Very good build.

A few videos so you can see by yourself.

I am convinced your issue has nothing to do with the firmware [given that MANY folk are running it successfully with AiMesh].
Interestingly I have once had a similar issue struggling to get an Aimesh Node to attach but between two identical routers [both RT-AX86U's] and also saw that message about someone else trying to install a node.

I resolved that by rebooting the Main AiMesh Router - waiting for it to fully restart [5 to 10 minutes] - check the log to see that everything has fired up; then reset the new Node and without trying to access it via browser ... went straight to Main Router to add the node, ensuring that WPS was "on" in its settings. Took some time but eventually succeeded.

I would definitely not use Firefox [known issues reported elsewhere on the forums] - switch to Chrome for firmware and settings work.

Finally - I'm not sure how you can get a DSL-AC68U connected by WIRED backhaul in an AiMesh setup - never tried that because my DSL-AC68U does NOT have a WAN port as such - only a DSL port and 4 LAN ports. The DSL Port only accepts a copper DSL line connection, not a Ethernet cable connection [even if it fits]. My DSL-AC68U only uses 5Ghz WiFi as a backhaul.

I am convinced your issue has nothing to do with the firmware [given that MANY folk are running it successfully with AiMesh].
Interestingly I have once had a similar issue struggling to get an Aimesh Node to attach but between two identical routers [both RT-AX86U's] and also saw that message about someone else trying to install a node.

I resolved that by rebooting the Main AiMesh Router - waiting for it to fully restart [5 to 10 minutes] - check the log to see that everything has fired up; then reset the new Node and without trying to access it via browser ... went straight to Main Router to add the node, ensuring that WPS was "on" in its settings. Took some time but eventually succeeded.

I would definitely not use Firefox [known issues reported elsewhere on the forums] - switch to Chrome for firmware and settings work.

Finally - I'm not sure how you can get a DSL-AC68U connected by WIRED backhaul in an AiMesh setup - never tried that because my DSL-AC68U does NOT have a WAN port as such - only a DSL port and 4 LAN ports. The DSL Port only accepts a copper DSL line connection, not a Ethernet cable connection [even if it fits]. My DSL-AC68U only uses 5Ghz WiFi as a backhaul.
I've rebooted (again) my main router, my node... I've reset them (again), etc. I've used Chrome as you suggested, because it's true what you say, even me in the past I solved some problems just using Chrome instead of Firefox. Cable off... Nothing. I can't connect it. Always down at 1%.

Must be something wrong with that DSL-AC68U of yours- either a hardware failure ... or the firmware is not being fully written to the device - or the reset is not fully resetting the device.

Instead of using AiMesh - try setting it up as an Access Point with the special GNUton Repeater version of his software.
You will then run an ethernet cable from LAN port on main router to LAN Port on the DSL. If that also will not work - then time to bin the DSL router.

I have run out of suggestions - good luck :).

Is this build now stable and working with the xt8 double node in aimesh mode and able to run openwrt plugins ?

Welcome to the forums @Vegaa.

Are OpenWRT plugs working with Asuswrt-Rmerlin firmware already? If not, this fork won't support it either.

As for stability, I do believe it is stable for many.

Is this build now stable and working with the xt8 double node in aimesh mode and able to run openwrt plugins ?
The Gnuton version (fork) is compatible with XT8, check the dedicated topic. Merlin's add-ons (check my sig for some) are working too.
This is the most stable and reliable FW I've installed since I own the XT8 pairs. Including with add-ons running.

TUF-AX5400

router web firmware page show update available, but github release page say Stable: 386.08_0-gnuton1s only for DSL-AX82U and RT-AX92U
is it ok to update?

TUF-AX5400Current Version : 386.07_2-gnuton1
Manual firmware update : Upload
The latest version : 386.08-gnuton1

TUF-AX5400

router web firmware page show update available, but github release page say Stable: 386.08_0-gnuton1s only for DSL-AX82U and RT-AX92U
is it ok to update?

TUF-AX5400Current Version : 386.07_2-gnuton1
Manual firmware update : Upload
The latest version : 386.08-gnuton1
To be confirmed
No, this is the alert for a new official Asus update. Merlin/Gnuton don't have automated procedure to check for update. On purpose
Update is well pointing to last Gnuton release, I get the same screen as @afool622 (see below). Clicking on the FW shows well 386.08_0-gnuton1 but the notes mention "This release is only available for the DSL-AX82U and RT-AX92U", not for the XT8 so.

Last edited:
This morning my Asus DSL AC 68 U indicates to me the presence of a new firmware to load but going to the official GNUton page the firmware 386.08_0-gnuton1 is not suitable for the AC 68 U version

I got the same here:
1665367539780.png

I am assuming not to update

Something I have noticed, on the latest version of the Firmware 386.08_0-gnuton1, on my DSL AX82U, there is a issue with the NAT. When I last tested my NAT, I was on a Symmetric NAT. Since I updated the Firmware, Both the sites I use report that the NAT type is Full cone NAT, I checked the NVram setting and its 0, so I'm not to sure whys its not a symmetric NAT anymore?

Test links I used
Link 1
Link 2

Is this after updating without doing a full reset (and without using any saved backup config files)?

If not, there may be no correlation to what may be reported (particularly if they haven't done the same first too, as a sanity check).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!